Contest Entry Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
    These types of contests are fun but they will always be popularity contests. For those of you who are seriously struggling to get your name out there, I suggest Duotrope Digest as the best way to find contests in your genre. It's a godsend! Almost everyone is listed there! Not that this contest isn't a wonderful opportunity, it is fantastic, but there are other ones available where your story will be judged strictly on its merit.
    Thanks for the tip. I still need to "really" look through the site but it looks like a great resource.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by copefiend2 View Post
      Thanks for the tip. I still need to "really" look through the site but it looks like a great resource.
      It is the best that I have found so far! Also, it's always a good idea to follow writers on twitter-some of us share the contests we find I shared this one!
      http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CoreyMaida View Post
        I'm really excited about the feedback process more than anything, since I'm completely unpublished. Which leads me, and don't take this in the vein of Robert Spearman who posted something similar a bit ago, to feel a little...jipped, so to speak, by being categorized with McClintlock, who is at least decently well-known and has published 12 stories or so if Google holds true. I mean, really, his level of practice and experience automatically (and number of votes) undermines everyone else in the group and basically throws our chance straight out the window. I'm not trying to complain by any means--this is an excellent opportunity and I'm thankful to be a part of it. It's just a grievance I had to at least get off my chest. Good luck to all, yet again, I'm reading some great stuff on here (including McClintlock's story--one of the best).
        You can thank http://www.random.org/ for who you got paired with.
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Also, make sure to look over the articles posted in the Writer's Corner. Many of the Author's whose names you see attached are well-known ones, and you should value their opinion.
          Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Actually, I have attended many of Michael Knost's online classes, which are incredible, and have had many a "Aha" moments in those classes.

Comment

Originally posted by CoreyMaida View Post
              I'm really excited about the feedback process more than anything, since I'm completely unpublished. Which leads me, and don't take this in the vein of Robert Spearman who posted something similar a bit ago, to feel a little...jipped, so to speak, by being categorized with McClintlock, who is at least decently well-known and has published 12 stories or so if Google holds true.
              Do not pass up the opportunity to network with published authors such as Kevin McClintock (a friend of mine and all around awesome guy). As budding writers, I can't stress enough the importance of making friends in this field and developing a list of writing colleagues. In a way, discussions like this may be more valuable to your career in the long run, than the contest itself! Good luck!

Comment

Do not pass up the opportunity to network with published authors
                I fully agree with that. I have learned more about writing just by talking to others in the industry. And, you can never learn enough. It's a daily necessity to improve your craft. Also, read, read, read...and write, write, write.

Comment

These types of contests are fun but they will always be popularity contests. For those of you who are seriously struggling to get your name out there, I suggest Duotrope Digest as the best way to find contests in your genre. It's a godsend! Almost everyone is listed there! Not that this contest isn't a wonderful opportunity, it is fantastic, but there are other ones available where your story will be judged strictly on its merit.
                  hey, thanks for this tip!
                  It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Comment

Originally posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
                    hey, thanks for this tip!
                    Anytime! If your on twitter, look me up I love passing on great writing blogs and contest opportunities!

Comment

Thanks C.W.

While I've been published, all have been to non- or semi-professional markets. If I'm lucky enough to be published in CD, it would be my first "professional" sale, as far as the standards go with the Horror Writers Association. So technically, it's an even playing field. In the end, it depends on the story, not the writer how the writer credits. The strength of the story is what counts.

Comment

I've been published some, and here's my take on things, for what it's worth (which, admittedly, may not be much). The number of times you've been published won't really having any bearing on this contest. Here's why:

What's going to create outside awareness of your contest entry and (maybe) get people to register here and vote for you isn't having your name in a few tables of contents. It's having a blog. It's having twitter followers. It's having a bunch of friends on Facebook. And then telling all those folks about the contest and to vote for you. Not that I'm condoning that! The point is, I promise you're not at a disadvantage if you haven't published much, or at all. I haven't posted my entrance to the contest on Facebook or on my website (not that I have a legion of fans who would see the message anyway), which means my main advantage is the practice I've had writing. And practice is all up to the individual. Being published and building credits for your query letter doesn't make you a better writer. Writing makes you a better writer. Taking criticism constructively rather than personally makes you a better writer. Reading other people's fiction and seeing what works and what doesn't and how that can apply to your own fiction makes you a better writer. Now, have the other published writers in this contest bussed people/fans/followers over from their social networks to vote? Maybe, maybe not. It does look a little...interesting in some places, as others on this thread have already noted. And yeah, social networking can kill your chances of winning, no matter how much you've practiced. But my point is, fret not if your competing against more established writers. Unless they're telling people "Hey, if you like my work, come vote for me" (and anybody can drive friends to a poll, established writer or not) how you do in this contest is all up to you, and what you've done prior to this point to make your writing as strong as possible. Finally, this message was not posted with the spirit of "Oh, how can they think that, they're so wrong!" but rather, as a means to try to peaceably allay some valid concerns.
                        www.nikhouser.com

Comment

I can attest that Caren is a great source for other writers. She's always kind and helpful. I'm glad to know her.

And I did submissions with Kevin for a while. He is a great writer, deserving of every vote. I'm glad to see both of them are doing well.

Comment

And if anybody would like to check out my story because A: you now totally despise me and want to make sure you vote against me no matter what, or B: just wanna check out my story, I'll make it easy on ya. It's in Group 3, and is called American Inferno. Hopefully it's because you just want to read it, along with the other entries.
                            www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Originally posted by Draven Ames View Post
                              I can attest that Caren is a great source for other writers. She's always kind and helpful. I'm glad to know her.

And I did submissions with Kevin for a while. He is a great writer, deserving of every vote. I'm glad to see both of them are doing well.
                              Thanks Draven I agree with Nik that being previously published won't matter much in this contest-but I do strongly recommend that everyone build a list of writing friends. It's indispensible in this field. And that's not saying you have to "befriend" me, but find some other writers who are maybe a little farther along in their careers than you, they are a valuable resources. That said, I am always open to new friends and colleagues.

Comment

And getting your writing friends to beta read your stories can be invaluable, something Kevin has done for me many times and Caren has offered. I'd love to become friends with any writers who are looking to network. As Caren said, always open to new friends and colleagues.

Comment

Working...
                                X