Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^Sounds pretty damn cool!

Comment

I'm now listening to THE HEADLESS HORSEMAN and other Harrowing Halloween Tales. I listened to Track 1-THE HEADLESS HORSEMAN yesterday on my way back to the park. I thought it was an excellent reading of the classic tale. The other tracks are Halloween Nightmare, Haunted House Horror (lots of H's here), Witches' Coven, A Visit to the TORTURE CHAMBER, and WITCHES' RAP.

Cap
      Last edited by c marvel; 05-25-2017, 08:29 PM. Reason: To get it right dude!
      Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Took advantage of Prime Day deal on an Audible subscription.

First listen is the new Audio release of The Dead Zone read by James Franco. So far it is very good. Been years since I read this one so it like a new read to me.

Comment

Recently listened to Joyland read by Michael Kelly. Loved the story has I haven't read it before and the narrator killed it! I'd love some suggestions of other things that this guy has read.

Currently listening to The Fireman. Very disappointed with the narrator as I think she's over acting it and very disappointed with the story as well. I'll finish listening but I'm bored and could care less about what happens to any of the characters. I don't know if Joe tried doing something different, outside of his comfort zone, but after reading several of his books at this point; doesn't seem like the same author at all. Hopefully he'll return to true form with Strange Weather.

Comment

I'm listening to The Color of War: How One Battle Broke Japan and Another Changed America by James Campbell. This is an 11 audio CD audiobook.

Cap

Comment

Finished "The Dead Zone" read by James Franco. Been over 25 years since I had read it and it still holds up. Was unsure of Franco as a narrator but he did a great job.

Started "The Traveling Vampire Show". Love the story but am so far unimpressed with the narrator (Bob Barnes.) Only about five chapters in so hopefully he will grow on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                Finished "The Dead Zone" read by James Franco. Been over 25 years since I had read it and it still holds up. Was unsure of Franco as a narrator but he did a great job.

Started "The Traveling Vampire Show". Love the story but am so far unimpressed with the narrator (Bob Barnes.) Only about five chapters in so hopefully he will grow on me.
                I figured out why the narration for "The Traveling Vampire Show" is not working for me. The cadence and voice of the narrator sounds like the narration for "Christmas Story", I still love the story but the narration is distracting.

Comment

Huge fan of Franco's. I'll have to check that out. I'm currently listening to 11/22/63 and really enjoying it.

Comment

Decided on a new read rather than a re-read for my next book.

For whatever reason I have not read the Hodges Trilogy yet so I jumped into Mr. Mercedes. The narration is done by Will Patton and he is doing great so far. Love the story so far.

Comment

First-time post so go easy on me.

I am an avid audiobook listener and usually, my enjoyment of them is heavily influenced by the reader. I save my favourite authors/narrators to listen to, and I read other novels in the traditional way.
                      The Fireman by Joe Hill is the first of his books that I've listened to rather than read. I am not yet halfway through, and don't like the reader much. The story is starting to grow on me after a fairly flat section.
                      I'll keep going...

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post

I am an avid audiobook listener and usually, my enjoyment of them is heavily influenced by the reader. I save my favourite authors/narrators to listen to, and I read other novels in the traditional way.
                        The Fireman by Joe Hill is the first of his books that I've listened to rather than read. I am not yet halfway through, and don't like the reader much. The story is starting to grow on me after a fairly flat section.
                        I'll keep going...
                        Welcome! I didn't care for the narrator nor the story The Fireman at all. I'm currently listening to Heart Shaped Box and it isn't doing a whole lot for me either. I'm an avid collector of Hill. Beginning to wonder if I'm only that vs. a fan. Horns and Locke & Key were outstanding though. But those were reads and not listens. Maybe it's the audio that's not working for me and I'd actually enjoy the books more if I read 'em myself. There is just so little time, if any, for me to read anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post

I'll keep going...
                          Welcome to the board. I have listened to audios periodically over the years, primarily short stories. I recently purchased a subscription to Audible and am loving it. I started with some old books I wanted to re-read and have moved on to stories on my To-Be-Read list.

I completely agree that the person doing the reading greatly influences how much I enjoy the story. I have not listened to any of Joe Hill's audiobooks yet but I did hear Mr. Hill state in an interview that he was hoping to read one of the stories. Unfortunately it does not appear to have happened as he is only listed as reading the afterword.

Comment

Welcome to the board. I have listened to audios periodically over the years, primarily short stories. I recently purchased a subscription to Audible and am loving it. I started with some old books I wanted to re-read and have moved on to stories on my To-Be-Read list.

I completely agree that the person doing the reading greatly influences how much I enjoy the story. I have not listened to any of Joe Hill's audiobooks yet but I did hear Mr. Hill state in an interview that he was hoping to read one of the stories. Unfortunately it does not appear to have happened as he is only listed as reading the afterword.
                            I have the Strange Weather disc on order as well. We'll see how that one goes. And I'm going to listen to 20th Century Ghost once I'm done with Heart Shaped Box. His Little Silver Book was a good read though. I did manage to squeeze that one in. But it's well, a Little Book

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes.
                              Since my previous post, I have finished listening to The Fireman. My opinion of it waxed and waned as the tale continued. Still didn't like the narrator much, but in the end, I liked the story a lot.
                              I've moved on to one of my favourite authors - Adrian McKinty - and the sixth book in the Sean Duffy series. The writing is a joy, and the narration by Gerard Doyle is top notch.
                              Not really the subject matter that this board focuses on though!

Comment

I'm listening to music. Yesterday, I got a wonderful sampler CD that had been on my Wish List at SwapACD. It is Global Voyage from Global Pacific Records from 1988. This sampler was really well put together and the music still holds up today. GPR is gone now, but their music had a huge influence on me. It led me to other artists and eventually to my all time favorite artist-Tom Grant. I play CDs in my vehicle when driving and I always, and I do mean it, usually have a Tom Grant CD with me. For me, his music is a part of me. I find it hard to believe Tom is 71 now.

Cap
                                Last edited by c marvel; 02-16-2018, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X