No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm torn. I like Garfield as Spider-Man, but I do not like him as Peter Parker, especially not as teenage Peter Parker. One of the main problems I had with ASM was that Peter Parker was way too cool. I was sitting there watching Garfield with his skateboard and awesome hair and was thinking, "sure, this kid would be picked on and ostracized." Garfield had way too much confidence as Peter. What works about Spider-man is the dichotomy between Peter as himself and Peter as Spider-Man. Peter as himself lacks the confidence in his normal life, but is able to find that through his masked adventures. Under the mask, he's able to be who he's always wanted to be: confident, funny, brave. In ASM, I was thinking that being Peter Parker wasn't too bad.

Haven't seen the sequel so I can't comment on that.

I

Comment

That is true Sock Monkey, as Peter Parker, Garfield has a very confident swagger about him, Could have something to do with the model good looks and his $200 haircut, what I wondered was, where does all that hair go when he puts the mask on? I doubt he has time to put a bald cap on before the mask but who knows, he is Amazing after all

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I just had this image of Spidey with a bump on his head from all that hair. I liked Maquire's quirkiness, compared to Garfield's twitchy coolness. One of the nice things about not reading the comics is I can make my own choice of the interpretation of a character. I identified more with Maquire's interpretation than Garfield's. But I can see what others like about Garfield's Spidey/Peter. It still doesn't change the fact that it was too soon to reboot the Spiderman series.
        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I just got back from Spider-Man 2 and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Makes me wonder if they're showing different versions of the movie. I am not looking forward to the next one with you-know-who as you-know-what. I was already annoyed with him in the brief time he was in this one.

Comment

Not different versions, just different viewer responses. But you're right about the prospects for AS3. I didn't like the bookends of the movie, either.
            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

The Grand Budhapest Hotel: Another visual and emotional delight from Wes Anderson filled with quirky charcters, imacculatly decorated sets and hilarious screwball comedy. Ralph Fiennes plays THE concierge at the titular fictional hotel in a ficitional European country during the 1930's who's perfect facade hides a character of questionable morals. Anderson has great fun creating the masks that hide humanity's evil face and than delights in tearring those masks off. His moving diorama style of directing won't be to everybody's taste, but this is one of the best movies I've seen in 2014 so far. This whole confection was inspired by the stories of Stefan Zweig, an author I've never heard of but am excited about reading.

Macaroons, any one?

4.5/5

Transcendence: Full of gaping plot holes, story inconsistencies, a supporting cast of one-dimensional charcters, and a decided lack of story momentum, Transcendence is hardly a candidate for anybody's top 10 "Best of..." list. But, nonetheless, it is a captivating sci-fi story with a love story hook. Artificial Intelligence is the name of the game, and Will Caster (Johnny Depp) is one of the leading researchers in the field. When an attack by an anti-technology terrosit group fatally wounds Caster, his wife/fellow researcher attempts to save his life by uploading him into PINN, the lab's super AI quantum computer. Thus begins an astonishing journey of discovery that unleashes both the benevolence and malevolence of science. But the movie makes so many wrong turns before it reaches its disappointing conclusion that it cancels itself out. Still, I was never bored with this beautiful-looking, forward-thinking movie--despite its many flaws; the questions it raises about the role of AI in our lives are frightening. It is deserving of its many negative reviews, but I liked it.

3/5
              Last edited by srboone; 05-11-2014, 04:42 AM.
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                The Grand Budhapest Hotel this is one of the best movies I've seen in 2014 so far
                Whoa, I agree with you again Squire, this is getting scary

Comment

The horror!

"I'm a vegan. "

Comment

The horror!

lol

Are you going to go to the Rifftrax Live for Sharknado?

Comment

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
                      I agree about Transcendence, lots of flaws but it was interesting.

Comment

Absolutely!!! Wouldn't miss it for the world! Already have my ticket. The surviving members of Monty Python are getting together this summer for a one-night event. It's going to be beamed live into movie theaters, but I haven't seen anything pop up on fathomevents.com yet.
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

You agree with me about The Amazing piderman 2 AND Transecendence???

Now I'M getting scared!!!
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Absolutely!!! Wouldn't miss it for the world! Already have my ticket. The surviving members of Monty Python are getting together this summer for a one-night event. It's going to be beamed live into movie theaters, but I haven't seen anything pop up on fathomevents.com yet.
                            Sweet!

Comment

I'll probably wait for a cable viewing of Transcendence, there are too many other movies coming out soon that I want to see but I will definitely see it one day

Comment

Sleep Tight is a creepy little Spanish thriller. It deftly turns your expectations upside down and builds a nice level of suspense that gives way to a nice payoff at the end. Highly recommended. Grade: A

Comment

Working...
                                X