No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched Gran Turismo this weekend. The real-life story of taking an avid Gran Turismo player and turning them into a real race car driver is such an interesting idea, unfortunately the script is about as paint-by-numbers as possible. Archie Madekwe does a solid job in the lead and David Harbour is completely in his element as the grizzled, ever-doubtful vet who is tasked with leading his driver to victory, but the movie is just rather bland and mediocre.

Comment

I hadn't see this one but you just confirmed my gut feeling about it.

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
      Watched Gran Turismo this weekend. The real-life story of taking an avid Gran Turismo player and turning them into a real race car driver is such an interesting idea, unfortunately the script is about as paint-by-numbers as possible. Archie Madekwe does a solid job in the lead and David Harbour is completely in his element as the grizzled, ever-doubtful vet who is tasked with leading his driver to victory, but the movie is just rather bland and mediocre.

Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
        I hadn't see this one but you just confirmed my gut feeling about it.

Yeah, you're not missing much.  It might be good for a rainy Saturday with nothing else on.

Comment

LOL. Sounds like a watch for one of those days.

Yeah, you're not missing much.  It might be good for a rainy Saturday with nothing else on.

Comment

Finally got around to watching the new Dune. I liked it well enough. Important parts seemed rushed, and unimportant parts seem drawn out, and I had trouble connecting with anyone. Since this thread is for ranking movies I will say 3 out of 5 stars.

It didn't leave me wanting more or an intense desire to see the next release in the theater.

Comment

Watched El Conde (spread out over the course of three nights) and I was just blown away. So well done, so beautifully shot. It's been on Netflix since September, one of the best new genre films I've seen in quite a while......very cool Vampire film, especially as I was reading Nestlings this weekend as well!

Comment

Picked-up "Southern Comfort" (1981) on blu-ray during one of the last Vinegar Syndrome sales. Had never heard of the film before, but seeing as it was directed by Walter Hill who did The Warriors and had in it some of my favorite character actors like Powers Booth & Keith Carradine, I decided to give it a chance. Glad that I did as it was a very enjoyable film. Not exactly horror, but there were numerous scenes that had horror-trappings in them, and the cinematography was top-notch. The film probably should have been a hit, but I feel like there were two things holding it back from being more enjoyable. One, there really weren't any likeable characters in the film that you could root for. And two, is the ending of the film. It's not a bad ending per se, but it's definitely not what I would have chosen and feels very abrupt and a bit underwhelming. Even with those issues, I'd still rate the film very highly and doubt I'll see anything quite like it again. Glad to add this one to my Vinegar Syndrome collection.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                  Picked-up "Southern Comfort" (1981) on blu-ray during one of the last Vinegar Syndrome sales. Had never heard of the film before, but seeing as it was directed by Walter Hill who did The Warriors and had in it some of my favorite character actors like Powers Booth & Keith Carradine, I decided to give it a chance. Glad that I did as it was a very enjoyable film. Not exactly horror, but there were numerous scenes that had horror-trappings in them, and the cinematography was top-notch. The film probably should have been a hit, but I feel like there were two things holding it back from being more enjoyable. One, there really weren't any likeable characters in the film that you could root for. And two, is the ending of the film. It's not a bad ending per se, but it's definitely not what I would have chosen and feels very abrupt and a bit underwhelming. Even with those issues, I'd still rate the film very highly and doubt I'll see anything quite like it again. Glad to add this one to my Vinegar Syndrome collection.
                  A favorite of mine since I was a kid, but....having only seen it on commercial TV, the ending always left me wondering if I had missing something. The freeze-frame of the faces always confused me.
                  http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

A favorite of mine since I was a kid, but....having only seen it on commercial TV, the ending always left me wondering if I had missing something. The freeze-frame of the faces always confused me.
                    Yeah, I was feeling that confusion for sure. IMO, if they were going to go with that ending, they should have made it questionable as to who was actually arriving, the Cajuns or the Guardsmen, and left the ambiguity of if the men would be saved or not. Other than the ending, I did really enjoy this film. Since I'd never heard of it, it felt like finding something lost.

Comment

Very good movie and one I've wanted to watch again from time to time. I think, like Danny, I've only ever seen this one edited and on old school TV.

Comment

Well, your review and the others' posts have firmly moved this from my "maybe" list to "must buy" list. I've been eyeing it, but I think it might be time to pull the trigger on it, along with VS's release of RED ROCK WEST.

Comment

Watching 31 in bits and pieces. I hadn't finished it yet but it's on par with Rob Zombies other work. A couple of weird cuts here and there and very little story however it's watchable if strong (filthy) language and violence don't bother you.

Comment

Well, your review and the others' posts have firmly moved this from my "maybe" list to "must buy" list. I've been eyeing it, but I think it might be time to pull the trigger on it, along with VS's release of RED ROCK WEST.
                            That's funny as I've had my eye on Red Rock West but haven't pulled the trigger yet. If you can swing it, I would definitely pick up a copy Southern Comfort. It's a very unique film and I don't think you'd regret it.

Comment

That's funny as I've had my eye on Red Rock West but haven't pulled the trigger yet. If you can swing it, I would definitely pick up a copy Southern Comfort. It's a very unique film and I don't think you'd regret it.
                              I hadn't heard of RED ROCK WEST until recently. I think it was on an episode of the Pure Cinema Podcast where they mentioned it and another 90s movie, LONE STAR. Lo and behold, when I searched them online, VS and Criterion have recently put out the movies. The problem is, the movies from these boutique labels are always fairly pricey. I typically only pick up my Criterion discs when they have a 50% Off sale. VS is just usually when I can swing the price. It's hard on the budget doing limited edition books AND boutique label blu-rays!

Comment

A FEW GOOD MEN: I watched this a little while back, but I don't think I ever posted about it. This Rob Reiner-directed film has long been a favorite, but I was hesitant to watch it again afraid that it wouldn't hold up. And I actually think it holds up pretty darn well. I'm sure that most on the forum are aware of the film, so I won't really go into details. I will say, though, for the physical media fans, I picked up the new 25th Anniversary 4K edition and this is worth every cent of the purchase. The remastering on the film is simply stunning. To the point that my wife had me pause the film so as to compliment how the movie looks like a film made in 2024. I know that they are releasing a new 4K edition with UHD, but I'm hard-pressed to think that it's gonna be another more than a marginal improvement over this one. So if you were on the fence about picking this up, I highly recommend you do.

Comment

Working...
                                X