Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Watched I See You on Amazon. It was entertaining enough but way to much stuff left out to make it great. Fairly creepy, interesting story, and was good enough for a few hours.The sound track/atmospheric noises were overused and stole a little bit from the movie in my opinion. There were a few scenes that I just muted because there was no dialogue and just "spooky" noises.
    I’ve heard a lot talk about this one and picked up the UK Blu-ray from Arrow’s last sale. Haven’t had a chance to sit down with it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
      I've watched so many movies (For me, at least...) this week that I can't even remember them all. I've been chipping away at the massive documentary IN SEARCH OF DARKNESS II, which is amazing. I & II are highly recommended to fans of '80s Horror films. I watched RAWHEAD REX, which I may or may not have seen when it first came out- Cheesy as hell, but nowhere near as bad as it is made out to be. What else.....The ASSEMBLED episode that documents the making of the LOKI Disney + series, ABBOT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN, which still makes me laugh, and THE SUICIDE SQUAD on HBO Max, which was awesomely fun.

There were also two '80s films that I was prompted to watch after seeing them in IN SEARCH OF DARKNESS II, but I have completely forgotten about them already. Troubling....
      I’ve been working my way through the first IN SEARCH OF DARKNESS and have been liking it quite a bit. For some reason I thought this was just going to be a love letter to the Slasher sub-genre. I’m not really a fan of slashers so I had been putting this doc off. I’m glad I got around to watching it because definitely a broader look at the genre.

Comment

Finally got around to watching " A Quiet Place II" this weekend. While not a bad movie by any means, I was a bit underwhelmed. Nothing really surprising in the movie whatsoever. Felt a bit paint by numbers to me. I also felt that a lot of the characters actions weren't very realistic to the situations they were in. Also, I found the little boy in this movie to be really annoying and was really hoping that a monster would take him out. Overall, while I am happy that I saw the sequel, I much preferred the first movie (as is usually the case).

Comment

Over the course of two days and multiple starts and stops I finished up CELL. This is a novel which, I think, would be a tough adaption however they made this easy on themselves. They shortened the story, jumbled it up, edited it poorly, and then crammed it all into something that makes almost no sense.

This movies serves as a good guidebook for others in what NOT to do when developing/adapting a movie.

I am very surprised this movie saw the light of day.
          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Over the course of two days and multiple starts and stops I finished up CELL. This is a novel which, I think, would be a tough adaption however they made this easy on themselves. They shortened the story, jumbled it up, edited it poorly, and then crammed it all into something that makes almost no sense.

This movies serves as a good guidebook for others in what NOT to do when developing/adapting a movie.

I am very surprised this movie saw the light of day.
            Yep, that was a middling book turned into a horrible movie.

Comment

I don't disagree that the book was middling but I thought it was straight action and felt a little like old school horror in many ways. They really screwed this movie up.

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Yep, that was a middling book turned into a horrible movie.

Comment

I don't disagree that the book was middling but I thought it was straight action and felt a little like old school horror in many ways. They really screwed this movie up.

I agree with your assessment.

Comment

Mudbound. A historical drama set mostly after WWII. A slow burn of a movie which really didn't live up to the build up they created. However I enjoyed watching the slice of life they presented. The struggle and interconnections between race, cultures, and how hardship(s) can unite or divide people. That was well done and interesting.

Hard to rate this title but I'm leaning towards 3.75 out of 5.

Edit: I forgot to add that they used multiple characters to narrate over portions of the movie. Many of these were difficult to hear/understand and detracted from the movie for me. I am a little hard of hearing so I'm not sure if this was all me, the movie production, or a little of both.
                  Last edited by Ben Staad; 08-30-2021, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Mission Impossible 2: Man, that was two plus hours of my life I won’t get back. I thought the first was okay, but in hindsight it’s a masterpiece in comparison to this sequel. I’d go into details about how the plot makes no sense and how the characters are flat with no arcs, but let’s not waste more time on this.

Comment

Ughh. Sounds awesome.

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                      Mission Impossible 2: Man, that was two plus hours of my life I won’t get back. I thought the first was okay, but in hindsight it’s a masterpiece in comparison to this sequel. I’d go into details about how the plot makes no sense and how the characters are flat with no arcs, but let’s not waste more time on this.

Comment

Mission Impossible 3: After the absolute brain-melting waste of time that was Mission Impossible 2, I was hesitant to sit down with the third installment...but I have the stinking box set that I need to get through, so on with the show. And...I was pleasantly surprised.

Let's get one thing out of the way: this series has had an identity crisis every time it steps out the door. If Cruise and Rhames weren't in all three, one could think that these trio of films really aren't connected at all. It's odd and jarring and Brian Depalma is probably wondering what the heck this movie is since it is so far removed from what he established in his first film. I don't need MCU level of continuity, but the movies should at least feel like close relatives, not distant cousins three times removed.

J.J. Abrams directs what is a decent action movie bolstered by a flat out great cast of actors: Cruise and Ving Rhames return, but are also joined by Laurence Fishburne and Billy Crudup...?! Yep, along with Maggie Q, Keri Russell, Johnathan Rhys Meyers, and Simon Pegg. But let's talk about the all-stars: Philip Seymour Hoffman and Michelle Monaghan. Seymour Hoffman was such a great actor and his performance in the movie highlights that talent given he could have easily just phoned it in. I need to revisit more of his movies (Not HAPPINESS, though...I'm still trying to scrub the ick off my skin from that one over twenty years later). Now, Michelle Monaghan is so charismatic and down-to-earth that you can see why Cruise's Ethan Hunt would want to marry her and I actually enjoy her and Cruise's chemistry together.

Now is this a great movie? Nope. I doubt anyone is championing it as an underrated gem. This is more like a decent way to waste a Sunday afternoon. It's watchable enough to keep you engaged, inoffensive enough to not rile you up and let you get in with you day once finished, and only memorable enough that when the next sequel comes out you'd probably give it a shot.

Grade: C+

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                          Yet another reason that I am very glad to have passed on the Mission Impossible movies. They've always looked crappy to me. Same with his Jack Reacher movies. Have absolutely no desire to watch them. Weird thing is that I actually almost always enjoy Cruise's stand alone films.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Yet another reason that I am very glad to have passed on the Mission Impossible movies. They've always looked crappy to me. Same with his Jack Reacher movies. Have absolutely no desire to watch them. Weird thing is that I actually almost always enjoy Cruise's stand alone films.
                            I avoided them for a very long time myself. I impulsively purchased the first five movies in a Blu-ray box set because it was on sale for like $20-25. I have not been blown away. I have made a pledge to myself to not buy any more movies until I’ve gotten through my “to watch” stack (which I’m only partially sticking to…) so I’m doing my best to get through everything.

Comment

Cell was a bit odd. Can't remember much of it now, but I think I thought at the time that it was an okay adaptation. The book was cool, but also odd in its own way.

I think I've only seen the first two Mission: Impossible films. The first one - was that 1996? - I recall enjoying, but wasn't too enthralled with the second one. I do want to check out some of the later ones, but I am sort of gravitating toward different films these days. I do admire how Cruise has made this one heck of a business for himself...I bet he takes home a disproportionate amount of cash flow at this point on each poject.

Speaking of projects, I watched Project Almanac once again this past week. One of my favorite films. I enjoy the high-school energy of it. Always makes me feel younger than I am every time I watch it. I'm also a sucker for found-footage stuff. Speaking of which, when do we finally get a found-footage version of Friday the 13th or Halloween? Or, has that already happened?

Comment

2 is bad, but really after 2 they only get better and better IMO. Actually I should rephrase that. 2 isn't bad per say, it's just a product of it's time. It very much embodies the year 2000. It just hasn't held up well over time.
                                Last edited by Dan Hocker; 09-08-2021, 02:18 PM.
                                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Working...
                                X