No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone else online said he didn't like this movie in the 80s when it was titled Over the Top and starred Sylvester Stallone. He has a point there...but that was a mediocre film.
    Last edited by srboone; 10-07-2011, 11:52 PM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Insidious - 9/11
      WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
      Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
        Someone else online said he like this movie in the 80s when it was titled Over the Top and starred Sylvester Stallone. He has a point there...but that was a mediocre film.
        But the knuckle crack thing as his fingers shifted was like, "ooooohhhhhh...." LOL
        Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
          But the knuckle crack thing as his fingers shifted was like, "ooooohhhhhh...." LOL
          yeah, nothing like here--the violence is mostly done to the robots.
          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Watched Skyline as this weeks Sky Premier Saturday night movie, and feel that I should have a letter of apology from every single person that took part in the creation of that film. Truly awful, on every level.
            http://www.armadillorecords.co.uk - I've finally updated it.

Comment

I avoid anything with David Balfour in it. Sorry you had to sit through it...
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

The Thing: The problem with this new version of the story "Who Goes There" is the same one that Carpenter ran into in 1982: the more you show of a monster, the less scary it is. Both movies do a good job of utilizing special effects to create a grotesque being, and both movies suffer from it. But 10 minutes into this new version, the monster has been shown in it's full glory. At least Carpenter built suspense for 45 minutes before showing the alien. And Carpenter's SFX were a 2D rendering of a 3D effect. Today's effects are 2D renderings of a 1D effect that is made to look 3D. I thought the effects in this new "The Thing" (as tecnically sound as they were) looked flat and uninspired. And when that's the base of the movie, it loses it's appeal. I keep thinking how much terrific monster movies like Alien and Signs (and even The Thing from Another World) would have suffered from showing too much too soon.

2.5/5 (3.5/5 for Carpenter's movie)
                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Too bad. i was really looking forwards to seeing this movie, but the negative reviews outnumber the positive ones.
                  Don't think I'll bother.

Re showing the monster too soon/too much, I think Ridley Scott did show too much of his alien.
                  Near the end, when it was completely shown - such an obvious man-in-suit.
                  Love the movie, but that reveal has always bothered me.

sk

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                    the more you show of a monster, the less scary it is.
                    It has been a while since I saw the movie, but I believe I remember this being why I liked Alien so much. The full body of the alien was more hidden in shadows even when it came into full view, with only those mandibles coming at you after a long wait. Very effective first time I watched that movie.

This was also why Signs worked for me the first time I saw it.

Comment

Originally didn't buy into the guy playing Green Lantern, as I grew up reading the comic. But, he pulled it off. There was a moment where I swore I was watching The Never-ending Story, but then it recovered. I'd rack it up a 4.5/5.

Comment

Godzilla is my hero, but Gamera is a close second.
                        No, wait, that should be Mothra.
                        Love these Japanese kaiju flicks, in spite of everything that could be so much better: acting, effects, storyline, etc. There's nothing better than seeing Tokyo thrashed, again and again.
                        This one's not bad at all (Gamera, Guardian of the Universe) - even the effects were pretty, er..., effective.

****/*****

sk

Comment

The Gamera films are awesome! The guys at Mystery Science Theater 3000 actually felt bad about riffing them because THEY liked them so much. But they had some great jokes they wanted to use.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Watched Thor and while not the best Marvel film was a pleasant enough way to spend 90 minutes or so. I knew next to nothing about Thor having never read any of the comics so went into this totally blind. To me the main focus of the film was to introduce the character of Thor for the upcoming Avengers flick. 3/5

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
                              To me the main focus of the film was to introduce the character of Thor for the upcoming Avengers flick. 3/5
                              That's what I pretty much got out of it, also a lot of "origin" stories are a bit like that.
                              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Zookeeper! UGH!

Comment

Working...
                                X