No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'The Wrestler' - 4/5 really enjoyed this one, some great acting!

Comment

I gotta go with Ken on this one. Ange Lee's hulk is dubbed one of his worst movies of all time by fans of movies and comic books alike. While I don't remember much of the "Hulk" storyline, I feel like the newer movie grabbed me a little bit better and Ed Norton's Bruce Banner was a bit more believable. I'm also glad they went with the CG instead of just some big guy like they did in the TV series, as it makes it a lot more like the comic book, as in the comic's and cartoon shows the hulk was huge and insanely powerful.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

If you are a comic book fan, you should definitely track down Ultimate Avengers 1 & 2 animated movies. These were both really good for me. The hulk in that was as you describe Dan. I'd rather that character be a bit more human looking and vulnerable in some way. I mean, the over-large version comes off as being too much the superior to a character like Superman. And even Superman has his weaknesses. I suppose one could argue that Hulk's weakness is humanity, as people often seem to get in his way, but he doesn't have a true kryptonite. That is where both movies failed for me. He is getting riddled with bullets, bombs, needles, and always runs away totally unscathed. In the TV series a bomb sometimes dazed the Hulk, and he had the human quality of occasionally needing to retreat. I think that makes for a more touching monster. However, on the flip-side, this Ultimate Avengers model is fun too.
        Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
          If you are a comic book fan, you should definitely track down Ultimate Avengers 1 & 2 animated movies. These were both really good for me. The hulk in that was as you describe Dan. I'd rather that character be a bit more human looking and vulnerable in some way. I mean, the over-large version comes off as being too much the superior to a character like Superman. And even Superman has his weaknesses. I suppose one could argue that Hulk's weakness is humanity, as people often seem to get in his way, but he doesn't have a true kryptonite. That is where both movies failed for me. He is getting riddled with bullets, bombs, needles, and always runs away totally unscathed. In the TV series a bomb sometimes dazed the Hulk, and he had the human quality of occasionally needing to retreat. I think that makes for a more touching monster. However, on the flip-side, this Ultimate Avengers model is fun too.
          I've actually seen both of those. They where very good. I guess the more human side makes a more engaging movie, but the oversized, practically invicible version I think is more true to the comics, from the little that I remember.
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
            I've actually seen both of those. They where very good. I guess the more human side makes a more engaging movie, but the oversized, practically invicible version I think is more true to the comics, from the little that I remember.
            I would agree with that.

Comment

Like I said, I'm in the minority when it comes to the Hulk movies.
              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Gainsbourg, the bio-pic of Serge Gainsbourg. Wonderfully done, and the actor was uncanny. It was like they dug up gainsbourg, did a great make-up job on him, then stuck him in front of the camera! 4/5

AHH! Zombies! (though in the UK it's called, Wasting Away) Enjoyed, a lot! Zombie flick with a difference. 4/5

3 Days Later - 3/5

Adjustment Bureau - while it may have been penned from P.K Dick, it was way too romantic for me. I think they got the marketing wrong, is all. I assumed it would be more action based. 3/5

Comment

I'm happy to see most folks are not fans of the latest BAYformers flick. I was bored after the first one, fell asleep during the second, refuse to put myself through another.
                  To comment on a couple that other folks mentioned, Grace(srboone) I enjoyed that one too. I mean, who can resist a cannibal baby? AHHH!Zombies!(craig) I thought this was hysterical, such a neat and different take on the overused undead genre.

Insidious- LOVED it!!! Watched it twice already and cant wait to watch it again. Creepy, legitimate jump scares, taking the haunted film in a different direction.
                  Hobo With A Shotgun-Again, LOVED it!! Watched this awhile back on Amazon OD, immediately bought the BD upon release. So over the top and a great homage to the grindhouse era.

Comment

I've been holding off on HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN in this thread for a bit. I liked it alot, but I didn't think it was as much an homage to the grindhouse flicks of the 70's and early 80's as much as a return to the over-the-top violence of the low budget flicks of the 80s (The Toxic Avenger comes to mind). The key to the grindhouse flicks was that they were taken seriously by the filmakers. The jokey performances which abound in this film were more in tune with the gloriously bad movies of the 80's. Rutger Hauer's presence and performance both anchors this film and makes it seem more jokey by contrast to the performances of everybody else.

I didn't like the alternate ending provided on the disc and was glad it didn't make the final cut.

3.5/5

INSIDIOUS took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting this haunted house movie and spent the entire movie trying trying to shrink away into the theater seat. Earlier that day i had read the short story "The Hunger of Empty Vessels" by Scott Edelman--part of a Bad Moon Books grab bag CD offered--and was in the mood for this movie.

What i like about haunted house movies is that they depend on character and atmosphere rather than gotcha shocks and gory violence. This is not a great haunted house movie, but it's effective.

4/5
                    Last edited by srboone; 07-27-2011, 11:52 PM. Reason: added INSIDIUS review.
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Source Code - 9/11

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                        Source Code - 9/11
                        Hey, hey!!! Something we can agree on!!! Great movie!
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

LOL. Very good movie.

Comment

Cowboys & Aliens--not bad. Director Favereau does here what he did in Iron Man: he never lets his CGI take center stage, letting story and character development take over from the get-go. Craig, Ford and even Wilde make the most of the opportunity. It's a mildly entertaining yarn that had me hankerin' for a straight western with Craig and Ford. It also made me wonder if Craig would make a decent Roland Deschain (not that Javier Bardem would not).

3.5/5
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I know that Tron has been slated by quite a few people since its release but i have to say that i really enjoyed the film and it was truely stunning visually - 4/5

Comment

Cowboys & Aliens

I completely agree with what's said above.
                                Mildly entertaining - and making me miss a true western even more than I'm doing already.

***/*****

sk
                                Last edited by frik51; 08-02-2011, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X