No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The movie's not crap; But just like Pure, I wanted a more substantive telling of this tale. I found it intriguing that the town people of the various districts did not react more emotively to the Reaping. And there was no talk about the ills of such a fascist soiciety. Either give me 150 minutes of action or give me some meat to the drama being served. It's a good movie., just not a VERY good movie....
    Last edited by srboone; 03-24-2012, 06:57 PM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
      Well, the original wasn't that good, either; but it had a really young Elisabeth Shue in it. And a very likeable pre-Full Metal Jacket Vincent D'Onofrio in it.
      Was The Sitter a remake of Adventures in Babysitting? I really liked that movie. And hey, how could you not like any movie with Albert Collins singing the Babysitting Blues with Elizabeth Shue. Wasn't D'Onofrio playing the guy the little girl thought was Thor?
      "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Yep! it was definitely better than The Sitter and it did have it's moments, but was the usual trash Columbus put out in the 80s.
        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

For the time they had (it was The Stand) and the constraint of a PG13 movie The Hunger Games was pretty decent. It would have been a major disappointment with a lessor actress. Imagine someone selling the studio on Miley Sirus or some other teenie without the chops. The toughest part is the movie simply assumes everyone read the book. While the movie was not complex, if you did not read the book the motivations had to have felt very superficial. For example the tie between Katness and the little girl took up quite a bit but in the movie I think you see a young innocent girl killed and suddenly she is effected but since there can only be one winner why the sentiment? Overall, I love sci-fi and good dystopian movies are hard to come by, most of the time you just put Kevin Costner in leather and blast away...so this was very good. Not great...but very good.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
            It's a good movie., just not a VERY good movie....
            Originally posted by bstee View Post
            so this was very good. Not great...but very good.
            Guess I'll have to make up my own mind....

sk

Comment

Anyone else looking forward to "Wrath of the Titans"?
              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

The trailer looks like it has some cool scenes, but I wasn't that impressed with the first one.
                "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I enjoyed the first one. Not the greatest movie in the world, but enjoyable. Plus I have a soft spot in my heart for Greek Mythology, even if taken at it's looses meaning.
                  CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                  Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Not eally excited about it, but I'll probably see it Thursday night. If only they could dig up Harryhuasen and come up with some decent effects (Medusa in the first one looked the hemaphoditic lovechild of John Bon Jovi and Eartha Kitt!)
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I caught the very end of Jason & the Argonauts last week. Man, Harryhausen was great!! Even in this day, those effects still look good.

Comment

Medusa from the 1981 Clash of the Titanswas one of his very best creations, if not his best!
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I don't know, those skeleton warriors were something else.

Comment

They'd be my second choice for best Harryhausen effect, missing 1st by a snake's tongue!
                            Last edited by srboone; 03-27-2012, 07:12 PM.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

if....: Malcolm McDowell's film debut. He's Mick Travis, a disaffected student at an English public school who ultimately stages a violent rebellion against the oppressive indoctrination of the schoolmasters and the "Whips," upperclassmen who ensure students toe the line.. Even though this film is a product of it's time (the 60's--it's filled with pop culture references and stylings that can turn off today's viewers) it is an eerie precursor to the events of Columbine 30 years later. Extremely dark, yet viciously funny, the film is an odd viewing expereince. It switches from color to B/W and back to color randomly and for no apparrent reason (other than budget) and has a a bizarre encounter with a waitress that turns sexual (originally giving the film an X-rating, trimmed to an R, but restored on Criterion DVD/BD). Audacious and unnerving, this is the film that convinced Stanley Kubrick he had found his Alex for A Clockwork Orange.

4.5/5
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I didn't know until somewhat recently that there was a movie based on Straub's Ghost Story and as luck would have it I was able to catch it for free on cable. It was okay as a movie but there was something off that I can't put my finger on. I do know that there were a few musical choices that bothered me, light hearted almost comical notes that pulled me a bit out of the movie.
                                2/5, not bad but I'll stick with the book.

Comment

Working...
                                X