Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    It was with great trepidation that I sat down yesterday to watch Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice The Ultimate Edition. I wasn't a big fan when I saw the movie in the theaters and had no real desire to rewatch it, let alone an extended three hour cut. But since my wife and I are on vacation this week and we are both keen on watching Wonder Woman AND she had never seen BvS, I thought that it was either now or never.

Most times, these extended cuts add little or nothing to the actual film, but that is not the case with BvS. While the theatrical cut of BvS was a jumbled assortment of scenes stitched together with the flimsiest of connective tissue, The Ultimate Edition fixed almost all of the issues I had when I first saw the movie: the plot makes more sense, character beats are given a little more room to breath, Superman's arc is better established. I can also see why the studio didn't want to release this cut: a three-hour R-rated superhero movie was a rather risky move at the time (whether it still is in the wake of Deadpool and Logan is another discussion entirely). The decision might have made business sense, but the The Ultimate Edition is by far the better film.

BvS still isn't perfect by any means--Eisenberg's Lex Luthor is still too manic for my tastes (the closest we've gotten to a screen translation of Lex Luthor that I would like would be Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood on House of Cards; it's a shame that Spacey was wasted on a Gene Hackman impersonation in Superman Returns) and the fight scenes aren't quite suspenseful or fun enough to get the pulse racing--but it is so much better than what most people, including myself, experienced in the theaters. Here's to hoping that as time goes on, more people find this version of the movie.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I'm also looking forward to seeing mother!, though it'll probably have to wait until it's released on DVD. I'm a big fan of Aronofsky's work--The Fountain, though maligned by most, is one of my favorites and Requiem For A Dream is about as bleak and soul-crushingly brutal as any horror film; The Wrestler also gives Mickey Roarke his best role in years--and am pretty much down for the challenging weirdness of mother!

Leave a comment:

• Theli
    replied
    Thanks for the review Squire. I'm going to see it on Tuesday.

Leave a comment:

• srboone
    replied
    mother!: I'd heard a lot about this movie, both good and bad (but nothing in the middle) and decided I needed to see it before it left the theaters. HOLY SHINOLA!!!! Original, daring, bizarre, creepy, fascinating, frustrating, aggravating, annoying...I could go on and on; just about any adjective could apply. What is it about? I'm still working on that, but simply put it's about art: creation, inspiration, sacrifices made by the artist and the artist's loved ones, the role of the audience, the artist's need for acceptance, and the redemptive power of art. It's a film that doesn't bother to explain anything and it doesn't care whether you "get it" or not. Is it a horror film? Yes and no, it has it's horrific elements, but it's more social satire/psychological thriller dripping with symbolism and allegory than anything else. Still, count me in the crowd that liked the film. The only real critique I have of it would be that I thought Jennifer Lawrence was miscast. She was adequate for most of the film, but when the film descended into the chaos of the final act, she seemed out of her league; an actress of greater range and depth could have sold the action to me better. But she's the director's main squeeze these days, so she's what we get.

4/5
    Last edited by srboone; 09-23-2017, 09:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• subie09lega
    replied
    It's certainly not for the faint-hearted. It took in an impressive haul...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4323&p=.htm

Leave a comment:

Working...
X