• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    "Focus" boring Will Smith.

Watched this turd on TNT. 1 out of 5. Margot Robbie was pretty. That is about it.
    Will Smith hasn't starred in a good movie since I Am Legend, which is mediocre at best.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    "Focus" boring Will Smith.

Watched this turd on TNT. 1 out of 5. Margot Robbie was pretty. That is about it.

Leave a comment:

• c marvel
    replied
    It's not a movie. I'm currently watching Someday's Dreamers II Sora, a 12 episode anime series. I've posted the first Someday's Dreamers to my DVD Tower at SwapADVD and Someday's Dreamers II Sora will be posted there in a few days. I have four episodes remaining to watch. This is the fourth and will be the last anime series I watch. Due to my work schedule I was unable to finish Someday's Dreamers II Sora. Before the farthest I got was through episode 3.

Cap

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    I hate Tom Cruise, and I hate myself for paying to see so many of his movies. The guy has a knack for starring in films that I really want to see.

I finally watched DRAGGED ACROSS CONCRETE last night, and WOW, was that a long-ass film. They could have cut a solid hour out of that film, and not lost anything worthwhile.Only my love of Mel Gibson kept me hanging in there until the end. Also, in this week's installment of "Things that bother no one but me!", every single S. Craig Zahler film features horrible songs that turn out to be written by him. DRAGGED had no fewer than 10...maybe there were more, but every single song in that film was written or co-written by him, and they are all ridiculous. If you want a sample of his songwriting prowess, I direct you to this video, from BONE TOMAHAWK, "Four doomed men rode out", which is mesmerizing in it's awfulness:

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    I have an irrational love of Mel Gibson...Yes, he's probably nuts, yes, he's probably an anti-semite...but DAMN, the man has starred in and directed some of my favorite films. I have been dying to watch DRAGGED ACROSS CONCRETE, but the running time makes it difficult. I'll probably fall asleep before the end. I have to find a perfect night, where I'm not exhausted, the kids are in bed, and it isn't too late when I start. Some day....some day.

Ben, my wife HATES genre films. She watched BONE TOMAHAWK and BRAWL with me, and squealed and screamed through both films, but admitted that they were well made, and that she (grudgingly...) enjoyed them. Or, as she said "I don't know if ENJOYED is really the word that I would use."
    I have the same thing with Tom Cruise. Probably crazy as a shit-house rat and not a very good person, but I like what the dude does.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    I have an irrational love of Mel Gibson...Yes, he's probably nuts, yes, he's probably an anti-semite...but DAMN, the man has starred in and directed some of my favorite films. I have been dying to watch DRAGGED ACROSS CONCRETE, but the running time makes it difficult. I'll probably fall asleep before the end. I have to find a perfect night, where I'm not exhausted, the kids are in bed, and it isn't too late when I start. Some day....some day.

Ben, my wife HATES genre films. She watched BONE TOMAHAWK and BRAWL with me, and squealed and screamed through both films, but admitted that they were well made, and that she (grudgingly...) enjoyed them. Or, as she said "I don't know if ENJOYED is really the word that I would use."

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I read the description of Bone Tomahawk and it sounds great. I will say, knowing my wife, she will not watch this. I will need to find a time to watch this alone.

Thanks for the heads-up on what could be a very good movie.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    After watching these I was itching to tell someone about them, and realized that I don't know anyone who would appreciate these films. I'm glad I found someone here!

Dragged Across Concrete isn't on Prime so I haven't watched that yet.

OH! And based on Bone Tomahawk, I ordered S. Craig Zahler's book A Congregation of Jackals. Have you read that at all?
    They are definitely movies for people who enjoy a particular flavor of film, that's for sure. They are a little difficult to recommend as they aren't pure genre, but more genre-adjacent, especially Brawl and Concrete. I was very surprised by how much my wife liked all three of Zahler's films. She has a lot more mainstream tastes in entertainment than I do, but I'm always surprised about what she likes and why. I was pretty sure after that one particular scene in Bone Tomahawk, she would have tapped out, but she soldiered on. And she LOVED Brawl in Cell Block 99.

I had stumbled across Zahler's fiction when I first heard about Bone Tomahawk, but never picked anything up and promptly forgot all about it until your post. I've added A Congregation of Jackals to my "To Buy" list. I'm very curious as to your thoughts when you do get around to reading it.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Yes! Both films are great. Bone Tomahawk is a flat-out masterpiece. I already love western-horror hybrids and when you throw in some of my all-time favorite actors (Kurt Russell will ALWAYS be The Man, Patrick Wilson is a genre stalwart, and Richard Jenkins is simply amazing in this. I'd also like to throw a little spotlight on Matthew Fox who I feel gets unfavorably dumped on; he's pitch perfect in this film and deserves much more credit than he gets) you get one heck of a flick. Brawl in Cell Block 99 is pure exploitation flick ramped up to 11. So, so good.

The directors third film, Dragged Across Concrete, doesn't quite reach the previous two films levels. If you like dirty cop movies and enjoyed Brawl enough that you wish it was close to three hours long, I'd give it a shot.
    After watching these I was itching to tell someone about them, and realized that I don't know anyone who would appreciate these films. I'm glad I found someone here!

Dragged Across Concrete isn't on Prime so I haven't watched that yet.

OH! And based on Bone Tomahawk, I ordered S. Craig Zahler's book A Congregation of Jackals. Have you read that at all?

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    This weekend I was reading some dumb article about the best movies on Prime and was reminded of the fact I really wanted to watch Bone Tomahawk. So I did.

What a freaking amazing movie! Loved how the director was able to let the movie just simmer until it was time time to crank up the plot. Definitely has some brutal elements and depictions but it worked. Somehow even my wife sat through the while thing.

We then watched the director’s next film Brawl in Cell Block 99. Fantastic as well. Not sure which I enjoyed more but I’d recommend them both as long as you can stomach some violence.
    Yes! Both films are great. Bone Tomahawk is a flat-out masterpiece. I already love western-horror hybrids and when you throw in some of my all-time favorite actors (Kurt Russell will ALWAYS be The Man, Patrick Wilson is a genre stalwart, and Richard Jenkins is simply amazing in this. I'd also like to throw a little spotlight on Matthew Fox who I feel gets unfavorably dumped on; he's pitch perfect in this film and deserves much more credit than he gets) you get one heck of a flick. Brawl in Cell Block 99 is pure exploitation flick ramped up to 11. So, so good.

The directors third film, Dragged Across Concrete, doesn't quite reach the previous two films levels. If you like dirty cop movies and enjoyed Brawl enough that you wish it was close to three hours long, I'd give it a shot.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    This weekend I was reading some dumb article about the best movies on Prime and was reminded of the fact I really wanted to watch Bone Tomahawk. So I did.

What a freaking amazing movie! Loved how the director was able to let the movie just simmer until it was time time to crank up the plot. Definitely has some brutal elements and depictions but it worked. Somehow even my wife sat through the while thing.

We then watched the director’s next film Brawl in Cell Block 99. Fantastic as well. Not sure which I enjoyed more but I’d recommend them both as long as you can stomach some violence.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Finally got around to watching "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood". Overall, I liked it but did not love it. Really neat settings, fantastic actors, and the usual great soundtrack; however, the film seemed disjointed to me. Felt like a bunch of really cool scenes instead of one cohesive movie. Maybe that was due to the length of the movie or it having no real plot. Overall, while I would watch this movie again, I would not put it in my top three Tarantino movies. Also watched the director's cut of Dr. Sleep. Really enjoyed the movie, but, boy is that directors cut long (well over three hours I believe). Not a huge Ewen Mcgregor fan, but, I thought he was very good in this role. Also, I was blown away by Rebecca Ferguson. She brought a likability to this role that was very unexpected and very scary. I don't remember feeling this way toward the character in the book; so, kudos to her. Have never seen this actor in anything previously, but, I'll be keeping an eye out for her films going forward.
    I loved Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and wish it had really went down that way at the end. Have yet to watch Dr. Sleep but really enjoyed the book.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Finally got around to watching "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood". Overall, I liked it but did not love it. Really neat settings, fantastic actors, and the usual great soundtrack; however, the film seemed disjointed to me. Felt like a bunch of really cool scenes instead of one cohesive movie. Maybe that was due to the length of the movie or it having no real plot. Overall, while I would watch this movie again, I would not put it in my top three Tarantino movies. Also watched the director's cut of Dr. Sleep. Really enjoyed the movie, but, boy is that directors cut long (well over three hours I believe). Not a huge Ewen Mcgregor fan, but, I thought he was very good in this role. Also, I was blown away by Rebecca Ferguson. She brought a likability to this role that was very unexpected and very scary. I don't remember feeling this way toward the character in the book; so, kudos to her. Have never seen this actor in anything previously, but, I'll be keeping an eye out for her films going forward.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    The Girl With All The Gifts

3 out of 5 stars. I enjoy this genre of movie and thought there were so many good things about it however the biggest part of the movie was ruined by a lack of set-up/context/insight.

Spoiler!
    Have been interested in this movie for awhile, but something always holds me back from getting around to it. The Blu-ray cover/back synopsis make it seem as though it may be low-budget which might be why. Also don't recognize any of the actors at first glance which can be worrisome. I definitely enjoyed the book; so, I'm sure I'll perhaps circle back to this movie at some point. In terms of your spoiler, it's been awhile since I read the book, but, the ending you describe seems to be in the ball-park. Perhaps they rushed the ending or cut important scenes that could've better conveyed

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    The Girl With All The Gifts

3 out of 5 stars. I enjoy this genre of movie and thought there were so many good things about it however the biggest part of the movie was ruined by a lack of set-up/context/insight.

Spoiler!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X