Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Watched Pearl over the weekend. Gorgeous movie, old school feel, and I just loved it. 4 out of 5 stars.
    I loved this trilogy of movies so much! In fact, they are one of the few recent movies that I actually broke down and saw in the theaters on opening day. Luckily, the crowds were fine for each showing. Mia Goth is a rockstar IMO and I'd watch her in pretty much anything!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
      Watched Pearl over the weekend. Gorgeous movie, old school feel, and I just loved it. 4 out of 5 stars.
      I haven't seen Pearl yet, but I really enjoyed X a lot more than I thought I was going to. I'm thinking that about slotting the whole trilogy into my Halloween horror movie viewings this year. My wife hasn't seen West's The House of the Devil yet, so I might add that into the mix as well.

Comment

The wife and I did something this past weekend that I haven't done in over 30 years: Go see a movie in a drive-in theater. We have a local one-screen drive-in and we've been meaning to go check it out since moving to the area two years ago, but never have until I saw that they had a pretty cool double feature going of Alien: Romulus and Deadpool & Wolverine. The double feature was $12 per person, which is pretty darn cheap for my neck of the woods; for reference, the local Regal was charging roughly $20 per ticket for an evening showing of the newest Deadpool movie. I don't know if that's a common cost across the nation, but I think it's pretty stinking expensive.

Anyways, as for the movies, Alien: Romulus was by far one of my favorites sequels in the franchise, battling it out for the third spot with Alien 3, which is decidedly flawed yet so darn interesting. Honestly, I think it would have been a much better film if was not a direct sequel to Aliens and did not have Ripley as the lead. And, for the record, my favorite waffles between the first two films depending on mood. Back on point, the movie at least presents the xenomorphs as being scary and dangerous (something that Prometheus and Alien: Covenant failed to deliver on) and amps up the horror elements quite a bit. I've heard complaints about the fan service lines and the cast being too young, but that seems rather minor quibbles for what was such a fun flick. One caveat, the drive-in experience was not the best to see this flick as it is incredibly dark and being in an uncontrolled environment of the drive-in made it really difficult to make out what was going in certain shots. I do plan on revisiting this when it comes onto physical media. Grade: B+

Deadpool & Wolverine was so much fun. Yes, it is over the top. Yes, the plot isn't necessarily the strongest or character arcs the deepest, but the jokes were a lot of the fun and it provides a great sense of closure (being non-specific to avoid spoilers). I've enjoyed all of these films as the popcorn flicks they are and this one stayed the course and ended strong.
        Spoiler!
        Grade: B

Overall, loved the drive-in experience and would absolutely go back. It can't compete with seeing a movie in the theater, but at least I can't hear anybody talking. Also, the nostalgia of it, is just a blast. Yes, technology moves on, but newer isn't always better when it comes to the totality of experience.
        Last edited by Sock Monkey; 08-29-2024, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
          The wife and I did something this past weekend that I haven't done in over 30 years: Go see a movie in a drive-in theater. We have a local one-screen drive-in and we've been meaning to go check it out since moving to the area two years ago, but never have until I saw that they had a pretty cool double feature going of Alien: Romulus and Deadpool & Wolverine. The double feature was $12 per person, which is pretty darn cheap for my neck of the woods; for reference, the local Regal was charging roughly $20 per ticket for an evening showing of the newest Deadpool movie. I don't know if that's a common cost across the nation, but I think it's pretty stinking expensive.

Anyways, as for the movies, Alien: Romulus was by far one of my favorites sequels in the franchise, battling it out for the third spot with Alien 3, which is decidedly flawed yet so darn interesting. Honestly, I think it would have been a much better film if was not a direct sequel to Aliens and did not have Ripley as the lead. And, for the record, my favorite waffles between the first two films depending on mood. Back on point, the movie at least presents the xenomorphs as being scary and dangerous (something that Prometheus and Alien: Covenant failed to deliver on) and amps up the horror elements quite a bit. I've heard complaints about the fan service lines and the cast being too young, but that seems rather minor quibbles for what was such a fun flick. One caveat, the drive-in experience was not the best to see this flick as it is incredibly dark and being in an uncontrolled environment of the drive-in made it really difficult to make out what was going in certain shots. I do plan on revisiting this when it comes onto physical media. Grade: B+

Deadpool & Wolverine was so much fun. Yes, it is over the top. Yes, the plot isn't necessarily the strongest or character arcs the deepest, but the jokes were a lot of the fun and it provides a great sense of closure (being non-specific to avoid spoilers). I've enjoyed all of these films as the popcorn flicks they are and this one stayed the course and ended strong.
          Spoiler!
          Grade: B

Overall, loved the drive-in experience and would absolutely go back. It can't compete with seeing a movie in the theater, but at least I can't hear anybody talking. Also, the nostalgia of it, is just a blast. Yes, technology moves on, but newer isn't always better when it comes to the totality of experience.
          Man, I'm jealous of this the whole way around.  We have a drive-in near Phoenix in Glendale, but it doesn't get dark until around 7:30pm right now and stays darn hot outside making me not want to go very often.  I might have broken down for that double-billing.  I really want to see each film but have resigned myself to waiting for physical releases as I figured the audiences in the theater would be extra annoying for these (they always seem to be when I go to anything Marvel).

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Man, I'm jealous of this the whole way around. We have a drive-in near Phoenix in Glendale, but it doesn't get dark until around 7:30pm right now and stays darn hot outside making me not want to go very often. I might have broken down for that double-billing. I really want to see each film but have resigned myself to waiting for physical releases as I figured the audiences in the theater would be extra annoying for these (they always seem to be when I go to anything Marvel).
            It stays pretty light out here in evenings as well causing the showings to start at 830pm and ending around 1230am. However, since I'm situated on California's central coast, we deal more with the cold than the heat, but even our cold doesn't veer too often in the sub 32 degree range. The heat might make this a deal-breaker for me as you'd either have at (a) run the car the whole time to keep the A/C going or (b) roll down the windows and deal with ambient noise and sound from other vehicles. In my case, windows were all rolled up and sound was dampened from neighboring cars and the nearby freeway. I would say that if you could find a good day temperature-wise to hit up with drive-in, it's worth it just for the nostalgia. And, yeah, this double feature hit the dead center of my sweet spot.

Comment

Sock, the darkness you mention in ROMULUS probably had more to do with the projection than the actual photography of the film...we saw it in IMAX last weekend, and I was amazed at how well-lit the film was....And I've decided that, when I do feel the need to venture out to a theater, IMAX is probably the best bet. The slightly higher price seems to always translate to a better class of audience, people who really want to experience the film, and not sit on their phones for two hours, or get up to piss and walk around every 20 minutes. Like you, I thought this was one of the better ALIEN films, but they kind of lost me with that ending...waaaay too much like the ending of a previous film which I just did not like. And I wish they'd forget all about the stupid engineers and the black goo....just let the Aliens be monsters, not part of a genetic engineering plot to seed the universe with new life forms, or whatever the fuck they were up to in PROMETHEUS.

Unpopular opinion: We went to a local drive-in during Covid to see a double -feature of SHANG-CHI and FREE GUY.....I was raised in NYC, so drive-in movies are not a part of my DNA. I felt the experience was horrible, the films looked dark and miserable, I was uncomfortable for four hours....just not for me. My wife, country girl that she is, was in her glory. Somehow she managed to drain the car battery during the films, and we were stuck in the closed theater lot, in the middle of nowhere, until AA came hours later. Having seen every homicidal redneck movie ever, I was sure we were dead.

I fucking hate Ryan Reynolds, and I did not like the previous two DEADPOOL films, but I saw this one solely because I love Hugh Jackman's portrayal of Wolverine. My son and I had a blast, and my wife even liked it. The cameos were great, especially since I made a concerted effort to not view any kinds of spoilers before we saw it on opening weekend. Loads of fun...I'm sure we haven't seen the last of these two characters/actors together onscreen.
              http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm sure you're right about Alien: Romulus. I just assumed that it was the combination of how the film was shot and the mode of presentation, but it could very well just be the mode of presentation. It's definitely one of the reason why I plan on rewatching the film. I absolutely agree with your thoughts on the lore built up in Prometheus. I honestly just don't need the explanation for everything. The xenomorphs are just the meanest predator in the universe and they will. kill. you. Done. Nothing else needed. I didn't have a problem with the ending as it seemed like a simple enough element to disregard moving forward. I am curious as to what film the ending resembles, though, as nothing is coming right to mind.

Sorry to hear about the drive-in not being your jam. I mean, honestly, it is a subpar viewing experience, but considering just how terrible theater-going experiences have been for me, it's pretty much the only way I can see a newly released film not at home. We don't have an IMAX theatre nearby or I'd give that a shot. The car battery dying is not uncommon. Two cars died between the movies, but our drive-in had one of those portable car jumpers in the event this happens. I was concerned about this issue so we bought a rechargeable bluetooth radio with FM radio and it worked pretty well. I wish we'd gotten something with a better antenna because there was some white noise in the background, though this could just be the way their audio sounds.

And I just don't know if anyone is gonna top Hugh Jackman's Wolverine. He just nails the character. (Well, except for the height. Jackman is like 6'2" and Wolverine is supposed to be pretty darn short, like almost a whole foot shorter, though that might have changed over the decades. And I think it'd be a weird thing for anyone hang a dislike of Jackman's portrayal on.)

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                  I'm sure you're right about Alien: Romulus. I just assumed that it was the combination of how the film was shot and the mode of presentation, but it could very well just be the mode of presentation. It's definitely one of the reason why I plan on rewatching the film. I absolutely agree with your thoughts on the lore built up in Prometheus. I honestly just don't need the explanation for everything. The xenomorphs are just the meanest predator in the universe and they will. kill. you. Done. Nothing else needed. I didn't have a problem with the ending as it seemed like a simple enough element to disregard moving forward. I am curious as to what film the ending resembles, though, as nothing is coming right to mind.

Sorry to hear about the drive-in not being your jam. I mean, honestly, it is a subpar viewing experience, but considering just how terrible theater-going experiences have been for me, it's pretty much the only way I can see a newly released film not at home. We don't have an IMAX theatre nearby or I'd give that a shot. The car battery dying is not uncommon. Two cars died between the movies, but our drive-in had one of those portable car jumpers in the event this happens. I was concerned about this issue so we bought a rechargeable bluetooth radio with FM radio and it worked pretty well. I wish we'd gotten something with a better antenna because there was some white noise in the background, though this could just be the way their audio sounds.

And I just don't know if anyone is gonna top Hugh Jackman's Wolverine. He just nails the character. (Well, except for the height. Jackman is like 6'2" and Wolverine is supposed to be pretty darn short, like almost a whole foot shorter, though that might have changed over the decades. And I think it'd be a weird thing for anyone hang a dislike of Jackman's portrayal on.)
                  I don't remember how to do the spoiler thing, so....SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The hybrid baby at the end was a retread of the end of ALIEN: RESURRECTION.

END OF SPOILERS!!!!

And not for nothing, but the way they have shortened the Alien life cycle is ridiculous...they are no sooner implanted in you than they're fully grown and on the hunt.

I doubt Marvel will move on from Jackman, but I think Tom Hardy would do a good job. He's short, nuts, and loves to do accents, so a few "Eh's: and "Bubs" should be right up his alley.

Comment

It’s been so long since I’ve seen that film that I completely forgot about that. 

I also agree about the abbreviated lifespan.  I think the whole horror of the face-hugger and the chestburster is just how long that process is.  In further reflection, such a quick turnaround in the reproductive cycle kinda undermines the whole cocooning of life humans to use as hosts.  

Absolutely agree about Hardy as Wolverine.  He’d be a great successor to Jackman. 

Comment

I saw THE WATCHERS on Max last night. Decent folk-horror tale, directed by M. Night Shyamalan's daughter. Nothing to write home about, but a fun way to pass a few hours. She definitely picked up a few of her dad's tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
                        On the batshit crazy front, Prime Video has THE BEEKEEPER, which finds Jason Statham killing tons of people in a quest for justice on behalf of a scammed senior citizen. If you like a good, old-fashioned "Kill 'em all" revenge film, look no further.
                        Beekeeper was a lot of fun. You know exactly what you're in for with a Jason Statham film and it did not disappoint.

We've been watching more shows recently, so it's been a bit since we watched a movie, but last night we watched Furiosa. I don't "need" all these prequels for some characters, and I don't think this one was necessary either, but damn does George Miller know how to create spectacle. Plus I'm just there for ATJ. Unnecessary, but spectacular, and the 4k UHD disc with Atmos and Vision are TOP NOTCH.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

Beekeeper was a lot of fun. You know exactly what you're in for with a Jason Statham film and it did not disappoint.

We've been watching more shows recently, so it's been a bit since we watched a movie, but last night we watched Furiosa. I don't "need" all these prequels for some characters, and I don't think this one was necessary either, but damn does George Miller know how to create spectacle. Plus I'm just there for ATJ. Unnecessary, but spectacular, and the 4k UHD disc with Atmos and Vision are TOP NOTCH.
                          I was SO disappointed with FURIOSA...way too much CGI, and ATJ, IMO, looks like an insect. There is no way this girl, in a few years, becomes Charlize Theron. FURY ROAD was one of my favorite films from the past few decades...I can watch it over and over. This was something that I forgot as soon as I left the theater. Supposedly George Miller has ANOTHER Mad Max prequel film in mind, called THE WASTELAND. Based on how hard FURIOSA flopped, and Miller's age, I doubt it will ever happen. I'd like to see Miller do an honest-to-goodness final Max film, with Mel Gibson returning to put the series to bed, but...never going to happen.

Hollywood needs to learn that most people don't really want prequels. After hundreds of millions of dollars were spent on the STAR WARS prequel trilogy, I witnessed what I already knew: Anakin Skywalker was a prick. FURIOSA showed me, at great expense to the studio, what a few lines of dialogue in FURY ROAD told me: Furiosa had a shitty life, and wanted to change it. I don't need to see what Citizen Kane's parents did to make him the way he was. I don't need to see Captain Kirk as a teen-ager, I don't need to know what kind of baby food Jane Eyre ate.......Prequels are totally unnecessary. We already know how the characters are NOW, so seeing them in the past gives no chance for drama. We know how it turns out. I just found out that Paramount + has a ROSEMARY'S BABY prequel about the girl that lived with the Castavets prior to Rosemary meeting them coming in September. Ummm....we saw how that turned out in the original film...where will the tension be?

Death to prequels!!!

Comment

I watched SASQUATCH SUNSET on Paramount + last night. VERY strange movie, told completely without dialogue, about a quartet of Bigfoot (Bigfeet?), and their daily lives as they navigate an ever-shrinking wilderness. Paramount + has this listed as a comedy, and there were a few laughs, including one very big one, but there's also a lot of plain old gross stuff, as well as some very poignant moments. Probably not for everybody, but I enjoyed it, and it was short enough (Around 90 minutes) that it wouldn't waste too much of your time if you DIDN'T like it.

Comment

I watched THE DELIVERANCE on Netflix last night, a new demonic possession flick from Lee Daniels. I wonder how many people actually watch these made for Netflix movies...? They do no publicity or advertising of any kind, as far as I can tell, and they seem to only target them to the feeds of people who their algorithm tells them are likely to watch. If I hadn't heard about this from stumbling across a Mo'Nique talk-show appearance, I would never have known about it.

Which would not have been a bad thing, maybe...? The story is your typical "Family moves into a bad house" story, but there's no real Horror until about halfway through. The first half is a winner, with some great performances, particularly by Glenn Close and Mo'Nique. Close, especially, seems to be having a blast as a slutty white-trash granny with cancer. (!!!!)

Once the Horror kicks in, the film becomes your typical possession flick, with all of the usual tropes and cliches. I found myself wishing that they had just stayed with the domestic drama of the first half, which was really compelling. The underlying family problems aren't helped by the main character being a completely unlikable piece of shit.

Films like this are always a problem. I love THE EXORCIST and JAWS, so I'm drawn to similar films, but, really....after seeing those two, where is there to go? Every shark film is ultimately a poor man's JAWS, and every possession film basically goes down the exact same road as THE EXORCIST. So, why bother?

The ending was one of those "How are they going to explain this...?" ones. I just pictured the cops showing up after the neighbors complained about the noise, and finding this huge mess in the house.

"OK, what happened here?

"Well, officers, my son was possessed, and..."

"You're under arrest."

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

I was SO disappointed with FURIOSA...way too much CGI, and ATJ, IMO, looks like an insect. There is no way this girl, in a few years, becomes Charlize Theron. FURY ROAD was one of my favorite films from the past few decades...I can watch it over and over. This was something that I forgot as soon as I left the theater. Supposedly George Miller has ANOTHER Mad Max prequel film in mind, called THE WASTELAND. Based on how hard FURIOSA flopped, and Miller's age, I doubt it will ever happen. I'd like to see Miller do an honest-to-goodness final Max film, with Mel Gibson returning to put the series to bed, but...never going to happen.

Hollywood needs to learn that most people don't really want prequels. After hundreds of millions of dollars were spent on the STAR WARS prequel trilogy, I witnessed what I already knew: Anakin Skywalker was a prick. FURIOSA showed me, at great expense to the studio, what a few lines of dialogue in FURY ROAD told me: Furiosa had a shitty life, and wanted to change it. I don't need to see what Citizen Kane's parents did to make him the way he was. I don't need to see Captain Kirk as a teen-ager, I don't need to know what kind of baby food Jane Eyre ate.......Prequels are totally unnecessary. We already know how the characters are NOW, so seeing them in the past gives no chance for drama. We know how it turns out. I just found out that Paramount + has a ROSEMARY'S BABY prequel about the girl that lived with the Castavets prior to Rosemary meeting them coming in September. Ummm....we saw how that turned out in the original film...where will the tension be?

Death to prequels!!!
                                I couldn't agree more. But nostalgia is a huge thing right now. I tried explaining this to my wife but she didn't understand it. Furiosa looks nuts, but I didn't particularly enjoy it It was unnecessary to make. She doesn't need a backstory. Same with the latest Ghostbusters. I was not a fan of that movie and felt it was also unnecessary.

for me, the only recent prequel that worked was Andor, and it had no business working. I loved Rogue One (a prequel oddly enough) but I didn't need a backstory to a character that was already dead, but damn that was a good series.

Comment

Working...
                                X