Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    I watched AMERICAN FICTION on Amazon the other night...what a great film! Thought-provoking, hilarious, great cast...Geoffrey Wright was amazing, as always. Highly recommended.

I just finished reading THE DEVIL'S CANDY: THE ANATOMY OF A HOLLYWOOD FIASCO, about Brian De Palma's film adaptation of THE BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES, so I decided to watch A24's documentary DE PALMA, which was very interesting. I haven't seen all of his films, and this made me want to go seek out some of the ones that I've missed. Fascinating stuff.
    I'm glad you liked AMERICAN FICTION! It's just a funnier, smarter, and even more fun of a movie than what I thought it was going to be.

I hadn't heard of THE DEVIL'S CANDY, but have always been fascinated about the issues surrounding THE BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES. How was it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I'm glad you liked AMERICAN FICTION! It's just a funnier, smarter, and even more fun of a movie than what I thought it was going to be.

I hadn't heard of THE DEVIL'S CANDY, but have always been fascinated about the issues surrounding THE BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES. How was it?
      It started out strong. I read about 25% of it in bed one night, I just could not put it down. The author was given permission to follow the film from pre-production though release, so she made a lot of friends on the set. By the end, it seemed as if she was including things about crew members that we didn't need to know, just to include them, and the book dragged mercilessly. Did I need to read about the costume fittings of extras, and the goings-on of Bruce Willis' stand-in...? No. So...I guess it depends on how Inside Baseball you want the book to be. To me, there was just too much extraneous information for the book to be considered enjoyable.
      http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

It started out strong. I read about 25% of it in bed one night, I just could not put it down. The author was given permission to follow the film from pre-production though release, so she made a lot of friends on the set. By the end, it seemed as if she was including things about crew members that we didn't need to know, just to include them, and the book dragged mercilessly. Did I need to read about the costume fittings of extras, and the goings-on of Bruce Willis' stand-in...? No. So...I guess it depends on how Inside Baseball you want the book to be. To me, there was just too much extraneous information for the book to be considered enjoyable.
        That kinda makes it sound like it'll be a pass for me. I love some Inside Baseball stuff, but there is a tipping point. Maybe if I find it used somewhere cheap...

Comment

I watched a new doc about The Beach Boys last night on Disney+, which was excellent. Highly recommended if you're a fan.

Comment

Last night was OUT OF DARKNESS, a film that I was frantic to see when it played in theaters last fall. My wife refused to go, because "Cavemen and monsters? And subtitles? No.", and no one else was interested in subtitles either, so.....

Thank God I was too cheap to pay the $5.99 rental, and waited until it hit Paramount+ yesterday, because wow, I was ready to put my fist through the TV by the time it ended. The clean-shaven face of the tribal leader was bad enough, but the reveal of what they were on the run from actually made me squirm with anger. No spoilers, but...fuck you for marketing the film the way you did. I can't really blame the filmmaker for making the film he wanted to make, but this was totally marketed in a misleading way. Enough said. Just don't waste your time.

Comment

Working...
            X