Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    When I was kid(1960s) Daredevil was my Marvel favorite. Haven't liked what they have done to him since, but I will give this a try
    It's definitely worth a shot. It draws a lot form the Frank Miller "The Man without Fear" run in the comics.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
      I may be a little bit jaded being a comic junkie...
      Dan, keep your eyes out for Collectors Con MD on 5/17 at the Tall Cedars in Parkville. They had a very good show last year.
      "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
        Dan, keep your eyes out for Collectors Con MD on 5/17 at the Tall Cedars in Parkville. They had a very good show last year.
        I'll have to check it out. Though I read all of my comics digitally these days, so I probably wouldn't get anything anyways.

Instagram

Comment

Dan,
          Watched the 1st four episodes and I'm hooked. Thanks for the tip. I will say, the fight scenes hurt, just to watch lol! So far, so good.
          Thanks,
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
            Dan,
            Watched the 1st four episodes and I'm hooked. Thanks for the tip. I will say, the fight scenes hurt, just to watch lol! So far, so good.
            Thanks,
            Mike
            Yea, they feel real. Much more real than the movies.

Instagram

Comment

Finally got to see Babadook and I loved it. I thought it worked on all levels.

Comment

Originally posted by markgunnells View Post
                I actually really want to see this. Trailer looked good (creepy), and I have heard nothing but good reviews on it.

One I want to get to while it's still in theatre is Ex Machina - I enjoy cerebral sci-fi (sci-fi with real, or potentially real, science behind it).

Comment

Originally posted by markgunnells View Post
                  I watched it a couple weeks ago and loved it as well.

Just finished watching Dreamwatcher for the first time in ages. Pretty silly and over the top at times, but also a decent story and a good helping of fun. Better than I remembered, but not too serious.

Comment

Well, I'm getting ready to tackle the Marvel Movie Marathon tomorrow evening. I hope I survive (or at least can stay awake through The Age of Ultron--it'd suck if I made it through the first ten films and then snoozed through the only new one!) If you don't see a post from me on this thread by at least noon on Saturday, something went wrong....
                    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                      Well, I'm getting ready to tackle the Marvel Movie Marathon tomorrow evening. I hope I survive (or at least can stay awake through The Age of Ultron--it'd suck if I made it through the first ten films and then snoozed through the only new one!) If you don't see a post from me on this thread by at least noon on Saturday, something went wrong....
                      Nice. I couldn't pull the trigger on the marathon. That said I am seeing a 8 pm showing of Age of Ultron tomorrow night in D-Box seating, so that's cool.

Instagram

Comment

Age of Ultron was great. I liked it more than the first Avengers movie, but can see why people might not. I'm also fairly forgiving when it comes to these comic book movies. D-Box seating was pretty interesting, kinda strange at first but overall I think it added to the experience. I'm not sure the extra price on the tickets was worth the experience, but it was worth it for the reserved seating, which meant I didn't have to stand in line for an hour to get good seats. That said it was kinda strange but there was no line. In fact I don't think it was sold out. I'm wondering if it was because the first showing was at 7:00 pm and we went to the 8:00 pm showing or if maybe people didn't know there where earlier than midnight showings because it's kinda unusual.

Instagram

Comment

Survived all 27 hrs and 30 min of the Ultimate Marvel Movie Marathon--up for a total of 38 hrs. As usual, I forgot my camera (I still don't see the need for a cell phone), so pics of the marathon in progress didn't happen , but I'll be back with a review soon.

"I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                            Survived all 27 hrs and 30 min of the Ultimate Marvel Movie Marathon--up for a total of 38 hrs. As usual, I forgot my camera (I still don't see the need for a cell phone), so pics of the marathon in progress didn't happen , but I'll be back with a review soon.

Does that mean you left before Age of Ultron?

Comment

No, the marathon ended with the 3d showing of Age of Ultron. This was the movie schedule.

The evening started when I got there 3 hrs early and found the line wrapped around the movie theater. Apparently, this marathon sold out within 24 hrs of it being posted. Only ten movie theaters around the country were having this marathon and the Studio 30 in Olathe, KS was one of them (30 minutes away). But I got a seat in the middle of the back row, so everything wasn't as bleak as it first looked. But seat selection was important, because not only was I going to be parked there, but the people around me were going to be my best friends for the next 27+ hrs.

AMC theaters served a continental breakfast during the 55 min break between The Avengers and Iron Man 3 and then a buffet during the two 38 min breaks between Thor: the Dark World and Captain America: The Winter Soldier and between Guardians of the Galaxy and The Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Basically, it meant you could go down there and get a pile of wings and dipping sauce to munch on during the last four movies. For $18.00 (for both buffets). Which a lot of people did. The theater smelled of buffalo and honey BBQ for the last 10 hours.

We were also given nerd badges to let the other moviegoers know to approach us at their own risk. Kind of a "Beware of Nerd" sign. For the really nerdy, there was an avengers lapel pin you could also wear (I chose not to).

So, the marathon began:

Iron Man: This was one of my favorite Marvel films, and it still held up compared to all the other ones that followed: 4/5
                              The Incredible Hulk: Just a big chase movie. Pretty boring. Liv Tyler was bland as usual, but I love the long tracking shots of the Brazilian town Banner is hiding out in. 2/5
                              Iron Man 2: Solid sequel, but when Stark's hoard of robots come in to save the day, the movie grinds to a halt. 3/5
                              Captain America: The First Avenger: One of my faves. Great character, great period favor, great villain. 4.5/5
                              Thor: A better movie than it should have been, thanks to director Branagh. Thor isn't that interesting of a character, but the movie makes us care about him. 3/5
                              The Avengers: I liked this one better the second time around in a theater. Great FX, good performances, no character is given short shrift, and a terrific story 4.5/5

Halfway through! Time for breakfast! Wake up the people around me who are snoozing (why would you pay $70 dollars for a movie marathon and sleep through it?) and get in line. I wish some of the people around me had the presence of mind to bring toothpaste and mouthwash like I did, but maybe they like the feeling that their teeth are wearing sweaters.

Iron Man 3: My least favorite Marvel Universe movie. Nothing works. Stark is now just a comedian in a metal suit and Kinsley's "I'm not a terrorist" gag is about as bad as they come. 1/5
                              Thor: The Dark World: The only movie in the marathon I had not seen. Silly fun until it stopped making sense. When the ship of the dark elves appeared in London and started moving through the streets, I kept hearing Monty Python's "Crimson Permanent Assurance" shanty in the back of my mind: "It's fun to charter an accountant, and sail the wild Accountant sea..." 2/5

Grab a heaping plate of buffalo wings and get ready for the next film!

Captain America: The Winter Soldier: My favorite of the Marvel universe movies. Everything works--character, acting, story, FX. 5/5
                              Guardians of the Galaxy: Fun all the way with a refreshing irreverence no found in the other films. 4.5/5

Another heaping plate of wings (honey BBQ this time).

After more than a day of watching movies, it's come down this: The Avengers: Age of Ultron. Only a small handful of people made it through without falling a sleep, but no matter, because the real business of the affair is upon us.

The producers of TA:AoU obviously weren't worried about this second chapter of the Avengers series, because everything about this movie is significantly inferior to it's predecessor. The plot is not too interesting and very concoluted. The group we bonded with in 2012 is nowhere to be found in this film. Stark has become a narssacistic mad scientist, Captain America is simply dull, Thor is bland; Haweye is given more to do, but it's all for naught. Even a scene with him and his wife and daughter doesn't register with the intended emotional impact. Johanssen's Black widow and Ruffalo's Bruce Banner/Hulk are the only interesting ones this time around and their budding friendship gives the movie it's only heart. Still, Black Widow comes off more as a woman simply looking for love in all the wrong places.

The special effects are first-rate, but it's just robots against robots. No humans are involved. At least with the insects-from-another-dimension finale of the first film, there were people we cared about caught up in the mayhem. A pretty unspectacular way of ending the marathon.

2/5

Not that this matter because it will be world wide megahit.

Finally, after the whole thing was over, we lined up to get out a special gift. But they ran out a few people before I got to the table set up and they had to go get some more. When they apologized for the delay, I simply said "I feel like Chewbacca. He didn't get a medal either. But I did get mine, finally:

medallion (506x640).jpg

So it all had a happy ending!
                              Last edited by srboone; 05-01-2015, 10:53 PM.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Very, very cool. Thanks for the write-up!
                                “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                                -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X