No announcement yet.

Fantastic Fest 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Socky. Very very sorry I am late. Listen: I cannot thank you enough for your time, effort to write all those entertaining. well-written thoughts on those movies. I could not have done that. I hate writing even with a few published short stories under my belt. I hate writing though I do like the end product. I digress...

I already have a few from the festival ready to watch. Heh. I had the new Brad Anderson and forgot !
    I do believe I have Lodge, too. Plus, I may have that Irish film.You know if I'd ever had a daughter I would have named her Siobhan becaused the way it's pronounced is very very lovely and full-on in your face Irish.

Thank you thank you thank you ! for the hard work, giving us flicks to check out and I am glad you and the wifey had a great time.

I will post thoughts in the Rate Movie area on these bad boys.

Layta !

Oh . I have got to get Parasite though I do have Knives Out which is gathering good buzz.

Comment

No problem, Tyree! I'm glad someone is getting something out of these posts! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the ones you watch.

Unfortunately, due to shift of weeks for this year's Fantastic Fest coinciding with a work obligation, it looks like I'll have to skip this Fantastic Fest 2020. I'm hoping something will change that will allow me to go, but it looks doubtful at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
        No problem, Tyree! I'm glad someone is getting something out of these posts! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the ones you watch.

Unfortunately, due to shift of weeks for this year's Fantastic Fest coinciding with a work obligation, it looks like I'll have to skip this Fantastic Fest 2020. I'm hoping something will change that will allow me to go, but it looks doubtful at this time.
        Hope you are able to make it work and be able to attend.

Comment

Sockster, Martin, anyone else. Hit me over at the "Rate Movie Section".

I need to go back, see what I've watched since I've been absent. This ankle bracelet itches like cerrrrrrrrRAZY !

Thanks, gang.

Comment

This was announced awhile back, but I haven't had a chance to post about it. While this is probably no surprise to anybody, Fantastic Fest has been cancelled this year. I'm not too bummed as I was not going to be able to attend due to work obligations and even if I could attend and it had continued regardless of COVID-19, I wouldn't have gone. "Fantastic Flu" is a thing and it gets passed around like crazy during Fantastic Fest. Hundreds and hundreds of people in small spaces for days on end, eating and drinking galore, is ripe to spread a virus and either my wife or I (or both) get sick every year. So with COVID-19 still around...

That being said, Fantastic Fest is going to have an online presence, but they haven't announced what that will be yet. It won't be a full online film festival, but more of a "celebration". I'm curious as to what they will do.

So even though we won't be attending this year, the wife and I have decided to do Fantastic Fest in spirit this year and track down films that we've missed from previous years' festivals, both ones we've attended and ones we've missed. I've dubbed it "Fantastic Flashback"...because I'm a nerd. So right now I'm curating a list of titles and will be spending September going through them. I plan on posting reviews of what we watch on this thread for fun.

Comment

FANTASTIC FLASHBACK #1:

Title: The Pool
              Year at Fantastic Fest: 2019
              How I Watched It: Shudder

Day's a young man trying his best to make ends meet, working odd jobs where he can, including as an art assistant on a commercial being filmed in a huge diving pool. After filming wraps, Day decides to enjoy some time sunbathing on a raft in the pool, while it drains. Unfortunately, a quick nap results in him becoming trapped with no way out and no one but his dog tethered to one of the dive boards to keep him company. And then the crocodile shows up...

"Trapped in a location" thrillers can be hit-or-miss and I never go into them expecting much. And at first, I thought this one was a winner. Yes, there are some plot contrivances to get our lead into his predicament, but the director had a great sense of suspense and as things go from bad to worse, the tension continues to ratchet up a notch providing some fun, if shallow, thrills. Unfortunately, plot contrivances give way to ridiculousness. Common sense is thrown out the window on multiple occasions to keep our lead in his predicament. It almost feels like the filmmakers knew the movie was silly and decided to just go for cheap thrills, which would have been fine. A solid "animal attacks" popcorn flick can be a lot of fun,even if the CGI crocodile is a bit dodgy as it is in this flick. But then the film decides to slide from ridiculousness to malice. There's an incident that is so mean-spirited that it turned me off the movie. I'm not a sensitive viewer who gets upset easily, but this seemed wildly out of place for the tone of the movie and so wrongheaded that the film couldn't recover.

I'll throw it in spoiler tags for those that are curious:
              Spoiler!

The movie has the hallmarks of a great midnight movie to watch with an audience, but it asks the viewer to suspend their disbelief a little too much, and then it just gets mean. If you're looking for a great crocodile/alligator movie, check out the recent Crawl.

Grade: F
              Last edited by Sock Monkey; 09-05-2020, 04:03 PM.

Comment

So Fantastic Fest is going the virtual route this year with fifteen movies, four blocks of short films, plus some cool extras. And the best part, it's free for those living in the US. Everything will be streamed through the Alamo-On-Demand platform. I've included a link below with more info for those interested.

I'll definitely be checking this out, since FREE MOVIES!, but I've got to figure out the streaming portion. Looks like AppleTV or Chromecast is the way to go, but my preferred streaming device is Roku, which Alamo-On-Demand is not currently available on. (Add HBO Max to this and I'm about to find a different streaming machine).

I'm sure that this is not going to measure up to attending the festival in person. But I guess it's better than nothing. Hopefully 2021 will be much better and things will get back to normal.

https://fantasticfest.com/news/entry...fantastic-fest

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                  So Fantastic Fest is going the virtual route this year with fifteen movies, four blocks of short films, plus some cool extras. And the best part, it's free for those living in the US. Everything will be streamed through the Alamo-On-Demand platform. I've included a link below with more info for those interested.

I'll definitely be checking this out, since FREE MOVIES!, but I've got to figure out the streaming portion. Looks like AppleTV or Chromecast is the way to go, but my preferred streaming device is Roku, which Alamo-On-Demand is not currently available on. (Add HBO Max to this and I'm about to find a different streaming machine).

I'm sure that this is not going to measure up to attending the festival in person. But I guess it's better than nothing. Hopefully 2021 will be much better and things will get back to normal.

https://fantasticfest.com/news/entry...fantastic-fest
                  I will check it out. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X