Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Room

I have been intrigued by and wanting to see this movie since last fall. Tried to get to the theater to see it a couple of times but it never worked out. Finally watched it last night.

The darkness of this story leaves you holding your breath at times. At the midway point there is about a five minute sequence that is some of the most intense viewing I have ever experienced.

This movie is horrifying and uplifting at the same time. I was concerned that I would be let down because I was looking so forward to this movie. I was not let down, this is a great movie 5 out of 5.

Heard about this one. It's an old co-worker's favorite movie of last year. I didn't bother with the Oscars but did it make an appearance anywhere? Rumor was it was being considered at one point.

Edit: Yeah (ahem) I see it got a Best Picture nod. I think instead of just politely ignoring the Oscars this year I went on full strike by accident. It may be a while before I'm back in Hollywood's corner but with Batman/Superman next weekend we'll see...
    Last edited by bugen; 03-20-2016, 02:28 PM.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Brie Larson won both a several Best Actress awards including The Oscars and Golden Globes. It was nominated for several Best Picture awards.

Comment

I read this book and it made me so uncomfortable. I'm not sure I'd be able to do the movie or not. It was also one of the few books that I wasn't sure I'd be able to finish - and not because it was horribly written or boring, but because of how uncomfortable it was.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
          I read this book and it made me so uncomfortable. I'm not sure I'd be able to do the movie or not. It was also one of the few books that I wasn't sure I'd be able to finish - and not because it was horribly written or boring, but because of how uncomfortable it was.
          I have not read the book but will. The uncomfortable feelings are very present throughout the movie. The depth of emotions I felt is one of the most amazing things about the movie. The feelings of discomfort come at different times for different reasons.

Comment

My wife read the book and she seemed to like it, though she did find the writing--as the story is told from the perspective and language of the child--to be rather irritating. I read a snippet and could sympathize. I've added the book to my TBR pile, though oddly enough I'm more inclined at this point to check out the movie.
            Last edited by Sock Monkey; 03-30-2016, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
              My wife read the book and she seemed to like it, though she did find the writing--as the story is told from the perspective and language of the child--to be rather irritating. I read a snippet and could sympathize. I've added the book to my TBR pile, though oddly enough I'm more included at this point to check out the movie.
              The movie is also told from the perspective of the boy.

Comment

I watched this last night and I really liked it. Brie Larson's performance was incredible and deserved the accolades she received. I completely agree with Martin's comment about the movie being "horrifying and uplifting" and Donoghue's script and Lenny Abrahamson's direction never allow the movie to tip too far in either direction, allowing the film to strike a potent contrast between the two. The one thing that I was most impressed by was the deftness of storytelling. The movie skirts around the numerous topics that an incident like this would incite, but always does it with an intelligence that allows the audience to fill in the gap.

Spoiler!

A couple of things stood out to me that doesn't have to do with the movie itself. The first is the DVD box art. The front cover really captures the relationship between Ma and Jack, but if you combine it with the rather bland pictures on the back cover (one of Larson and Allen laughing),and if one didn't read the very short description about the kidnapping, it would be easy to not know what you are stepping into for the first half of the film.

I also find it weird that the movie is Rated R, but only for Language (Larson drops a few f-bombs during the movie's runtime). In this day and age where the comments for why a movie is rated the way it is are so detailed and the reasons can seem rather strange that in this case the only warning about the content that the MPAA felt needed to be conveyed was for "Language"? Whilst Mr. Holmes was rated PG for "Thematic elements, some disturbing images and incidental smoking". So the MPAA felt the need to convey that there is some incidental smoking in Mr. Holmes, but doesn't feel the need to touch on any of the thematic elements at play in Room? Not that I have an issue with either movie's respective rating, I just find the MPAA's reasoning and what they feel is important to point out to be rather amusing.

Comment

Working...
                X