Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knock on the Cabin

Saw the trailer for this last night.

M. Night Shayamalan latest movie based on Paul Tremblay’s novel Cabin at the End of the World.

Cabin is my least favorite of the Tremblay novels that I’ve read, and M. Night has been (in my opinion) more miss than hit since Signals, but I have to say the trailer for Cabin looks pretty interesting.

I plan to check it out when it opens in theaters in February.

Wonder if this will lead to any other of Tremblay’s books being adapted to the big screen?

Anyone else interested in this?

B

Originally posted by brlesh View Post

M. Night Shayamalan latest movie based on Paul Tremblay’s novel Cabin at the End of the World.

Cabin is my least favorite of the Tremblay novels that I’ve read, and M. Night has been (in my opinion) more miss than hit since Signals, but I have to say the trailer for Cabin looks pretty interesting.

Wonder if this will lead to any other of Tremblay’s books being adapted to the big screen?

B
    I'm personally on the fence. I want to support Tremblay, as I love his books, but I truly feel like this one will be a miss for me. As you mention, M. Night Shayamalan has been a miss since Signs, and even Signs could have been much better IMO. I also hate the name change for the movie and think "Knock on the Cabin" sucks as a title and feels, I don't know, almost like the clip-art version of a title. Also, from reading Tremblay's recent newsletters, I'm pretty down on the way Tremblay has been left in the dark with a lot of the changes to his book for this movie. He's been finding out about them at the same time as the fans which I think is a horrible way to treat the IP creator. Finally, and this is just my personal preference, but I really dislike Dave Batista as an actor and would never go out of my way to see something he has filmed. All of this has me feeling very down on this release; however, I'm sure I'll see it at some point down the road, just probably not at the theater (unless it gets glowing reviews).

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post

B
      I'll probably wait to see it. I'm not in any hurry to see a movie based on a book I loved because if they mess it up, I'll be pissed. And "mess it up" is a very subjective thing. I might think they messed it up and someone else might see it as an improvement. I'll wait to hear what moviegoers think. But I'm not holding out hope.

Comment

I was for a long time a Shyamalan apologist and I will still go to bat for this first four films (even The Village, which I will agree has the least interesting twist of all time, but I really love Joaquin Phoenix and Bryce Dallas Howard and their characters' relationship in the film), but I have become more gun-shy. I recently watched Old and it just did not work for me at all. This all said, I'll probably still check it out.

Comment

Watched this a few weekends ago. It was good but not great. I hadn't read the book so I can't compare the two.
          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
            Watched this a few weekends ago. It was good but not great. I hadn't read the book so I can't compare the two.
            That seems to be the consensus. There was some buzz leading up to the movie's release but that seems to have fizzled. I had a decent opening but after three weeks, it's only made around $48m worldwide and its projected to need $77m to break even.

Comment

Rewatched the movie version of What We Do in the Shadows last night. I just love this movie. I know that the humor might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's just right in my zone. I really enjoy the tv show as well, but the movie, at least for me, still is the best version.

Comment

Just realized I posted my previous post in the wrong area. Sorry!

Comment

Finally saw Knock on the Cabin the other night and thought it was pretty good. Not great, but certainly better than most of the reviews would have you believe.

Of the four novels I’ve read by Tremblay, Cabin is my least favorite, mostly due to an ending I found to be anticlimactic.

The last third of the story differs between the book and the movie, and I have to say I prefer the movies’ ending.

I also preferred how the character of Leonard was finally dealt with in the movie over the book.

The acting was pretty good. I was especially impress with Dave Bautista, who I felt nailed the character of Leonard, and the girl that played Wen was also very good.

3.5 / 5

B

Comment

Working...
                  X