The Sandman- Netflix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sandman- Netflix

My wife and son and I are about halfway through THE SANDMAN on Netflix, and enjoying it very much.

I was worried when I saw that this was bound for Netflix, since Netflix isn't really, in my opinion, known for making watchable shows and movies. They ruined LOCKE & KEY, so I didn't have high hopes for this, especially as news of the gender/race swapping of characters was revealed in the casting. I try to be open-minded, but as a lifelong comic-book reader, I want the characters to look like they do in the source material.

That said, five episodes in, everyone is killing their role. I'm not sure why they felt the need to make Lucifer a woman, or John Constantine, or Lucian, but the performances are good, so it worked for me. The look and feel of the show are authentic, the foreshadowing is excellent, the CGI and effects are convincing....it's all working for me. THE SANDMAN is a real high-water mark in comic-book history, and I'm happy that, so far, Netflix is doing it justice.

My only real beef is the casting of Patton Oswalt as Matthew the Raven. I love Oswalt, but his voice here just takes me completely out of the story. When he said "Dreams don't FUCKING die!", I cringed. He's the same in everything, which is usually fine, but he's completely inappropriate here.

I'd be curious to hear what the rest of you think, especially if you're not familiar with the source material......
    http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/
Working...
X