Ghostbusters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghostbusters

Anyone here looking forward to Ghostbusters: Afterlife? I myself am. Won't see it in theaters, and unfortunately Sony does not want to play the day/date game. But I am liking what I am reading about it, and the trailer is pretty cool, up to a point. (I actually don't want too much slapstick in it, believe it or not.) I do disagree with some of the premise, but still, I've always liked the franchise.

I'll probably check it out once it is released on blu-ray. Been too long since the original came out for me to truly be excited. I also am not a big fan of the idea of bringing in the young cast. I get why you'd do it on the business side of things, but, on the creative side of things, I feel like it is a lazy & overused Hollywood trope. Any time you have older actors, must bring in the kids to keep the youth element and seem fresh. Also, the most recent Ghostbusters release before this one has still left as very bad taste in my mouth as I thought it was a train-wreck of a movie. Didn't care that they went with female Ghostbusters, but, the effects and dialogue truly sucked, IMO.

Comment

I wonder if the younger cast may have been something that was unavoidable. It seemed to me that Murray/Aykroyd did not want to be in the picture full-time, perhaps for different reasons - Murray because I believe he just basically isn't interested in making this type of movie any longer (his absolute, earned right, and I definitely like him in a movie such as Rushmore these days), and Aykroyd because, and this is a total guess, just seems to be interested in the passive-income potential of the project (I base this on things he has said about his place in the business right now and his current interests, especially in his vodka brand).

The 2016 movie, believe it or not, I mostly enjoyed, but I agree that maybe they should have updated the effects. It's weird - I honestly believe they gave the fans what they wanted (and I should full-disclose I am not a superfan or anything like that, so maybe I am reading this wrong) but sometimes, they don't know what they want. They really don't want a new movie to be the way the original was; they want a more modern movie. I myself wonder, what it would be like if there were a Ghostbusters film with a more serious tone.

Thanks for your interesting perspective...as they say, we shall wait and see how it turns out...

Comment

Working...
      X