No announcement yet.

2012 Reading Goals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scott, I'd suggest "Anthem" for your next Ayn Rand. It will be the quickest read.
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I've had Clive Barker's Imajica on my Amazon wishlist since 2008, and I keep putting off purchasing it. I should try to get to that one this year.

I tried starting the Game of Thrones series I heard so much about, but found it incredibly boring. High Fantasy must not be my thing.

And lastly, I'd like to get through my Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft book. I've delved into it here and there, but I need to commit to going through every story.
      "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
        Does anyone have a title that they have told themselves "I'm going to read this book this year?" Maybe it's a book that has sat on your shelf for years; maybe it's one that you are determined to hunt down or, maybe it's one that you know will be published this year. It might even be one that you've already read.

I have started a re-read list for 2012:

The Tommyknockers by Stephen King
        Needful Things by Stephen King (enough people on this forum have shown enthusiam over this title and motivated me to re-read this)
        The Cornelius Quartet by Michael Moorcock
        A Cornelius Calendar by Michael Moorcock
        The (Many) Lives and Times of Jerry Cornelius by Michael Moorcock

As for first-time reads:

David Copperfield by Charles "Chuckles" Dickens
        Wow surprised you have not read David Copperfield.Didn't you re read war and peace last year.Given the choice I think I would have skipped a 2nd reading of war and peace and went straight to Dickens.But that is just me.Still have Charlie Brown nightmares of war and peace.Enjoy David Copperfield.Might I suggest pickquick papers by Dickens if you have not read it.That is another great Dickens title.

Comment

My Dickens reading hasbeen limited to "A CHristmas Carol." Anymore, I wait until I find THE copy of a book I want to read--and I found one for DC (it's in my collection thread.)
          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Re-Read

Swan Song
            Lightning - in my opinion Knootz's best book

First reads

Horns
            20th century ghosts
            Gunpowder
            Heart-Shaped Box
            Full Dark, No stars
            Under the Dome
            Duma Key
            77th street

to name a few

Comment

Gunpowder and Duma Key are fantastic reads too!

Comment

Wow, Menace is going on a King family kick. Nothing by Owen???
                "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I've never read anything by Owen either

Comment

We're all in this together is a collection of stories by Owen King. The title story is fantastic! Very different writing than his father or brother. I believe his first novel will be released in 2013, I am looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Menace View Post
                      Re-Read

Swan Song
                      Lightning - in my opinion Knootz's best book
                      Totally agree on your choice of DRK's best effort to date !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                        We're all in this together is a collection of stories by Owen King. The title story is fantastic! Very different writing than his father or brother. I believe his first novel will be released in 2013, I am looking forward to it.
                        I didn't realize Owen King had any thing out I will have to look that up.. Thanks

Comment

Current reading goals for this year are:

Finish King's 11/22/63
                          Burke's Kin
                          Gifune's Midnight Solitaire
                          Clegg's Neverland
                          Kelly's Undertaker's Moon

More will be added of course, but those are the main ones off the top of my head
                          WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                          Spoiler!

Comment

I loved Gunpowder. Owen's work is well written, but not that interesting. I did like a short story he wrote about a dentist.
                            "What shall I say when my lord comes a calling? What shall I say when he knocks on my door? What shall I say when his feet enter softly? Leaving the marks of his grave on my floor."

Comment

My goal is to read books all the way to the end and not stop half way through and put it aside for another. This only applies to horror fiction, NEVER nonfiction.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                                My Dickens reading hasbeen limited to "A CHristmas Carol." Anymore, I wait until I find THE copy of a book I want to read--and I found one for DC (it's in my collection thread.)
                                Remember seeing it.It is a awsome looking book.

Comment

Working...
                                X