Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking the same thing.

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

I'm going to get the Cheaper version of that when it comes out, for sure.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I am almost 100% full in my library room. I have just about hit the point where there will be no spots left. I have room for about six more HC books. After that I'm not sure what to do. I have already doubled stacked on one bookcase and used the top of a low shelf system. I do have two shelves of trade PB's (doubled as well) that may be going into the closet which would allow for more HC room.

I also have a full encyclopedia set that takes up tons of room. I am fairly attached to them but they may be going to storage as well. Decisions. Decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
        Bummer to hear of another publisher struggling to get books out in a prompt manner. I’ve been tempted to order from Haffner but this puts me off. My patience in waiting for pre-orders has dwindled a bit over the years.
        I ordered the unsigned edition on 1/5/20. At the time, I thought I should order the signed edition, but I had never ordered from Haffner before, so I didn't. I was willing to risk $40 or so, but I have a lot of money in pre-orders now...not looking to add to that.

Comment

Wasn't sure where to post this so it's going here. A virtual event and signed book from Norman Reddus of The Walking Dead. No idea if he actually wrote the book, and frankly it sounds like something not necessarily in my wheelhouse, but I figured what the heck. I'm assuming it's a HC copy but I don't think it specifies that anywhere.

https://www.mystgalaxy.com/event/5122022Reedus

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
            Wasn't sure where to post this so it's going here. A virtual event and signed book from Norman Reddus of The Walking Dead. No idea if he actually wrote the book, and frankly it sounds like something not necessarily in my wheelhouse, but I figured what the heck. I'm assuming it's a HC copy but I don't think it specifies that anywhere.

https://www.mystgalaxy.com/event/5122022Reedus
            The Amazon listing shows this as the debut novel from Norman Reddus. The cover states 'With Frank Bill' who is an author but does not list him as an author on this one. So, no idea how much was actually written by Reddus. It does not sound that interesting to me, but Amazon also has a blurb from Joe R Lansdale. Lansdale is someone whose books descriptions often sound strange, but he manages to turn it into a good story so that intrigues me. Passing for now but I may come back to it. Thanks for the post!

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Thanks Ron! I do plan to stick with this one as I really want the books. I just hate that he won't respond to my email. Have literally tried to reach him for months. I think I will take your advice and just not pre-order from him directly. Probably wouldn't care so much; however, this was my first Haffner purchase and am a bit bummed to have this be my first experience. Thanks again!
              I'd just echo what Ron said above. Just here to add: Have you not signed up for his newsletter? He's been pretty consistent in explaining the delays every few months for the last year or so. He may be cranky about explaining the delays individually when it's all there on the newsletters. Not saying that's the best customer service move, but... Other than that: it's the same ol' story: Patience, or- ask for your money back.

Comment

I'd been casual recently and when away from the park only wearing a mask if I knew I was entering a store/shop (Whatever) with many people inside. I somehow got a positive Covid result (After previously being tested numerous times and each time it was a negative). Yesterday, Tuesday, was my last official day in quarantine. I had no symtoms at all, I was stuck inside for five days. I was given a at home test, that was negative. The rapid test at the clinic here was negative and the big test where you have to wait up to 48 hours also came back negative. I'm back at work tomorrow. At work I always wear a mask and now I'll always wear a mask outside of the park even if there are few people inside the store/shop I'm entering.

Cap
                Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Glad you're OK.

Comment

Agreed. Glad you're doing okay, Cap.

Comment

So my wife and I recently moved and as one does when they move, I was frustrated by just how much stuff we had. Now that we are kinda settled in the new house, we are going through and evaluating all of our stuff. What we need, what we can toss. This includes my comic book collection. I was a collector throughout my childhood and off-an-on during my teen years, going full-tilt between the ages of 18 and 23 where I would buy around 100 comics a month. My comic collecting waxed and waned a couple of times over the years, but my last foray ended in 2011. DC's reboot of their whole universe gave me a jumping off point and I wound up focusing on limited edition books instead.

Now that we've moved, I was going through all my comics deciding on what to keep and what I could get rid of and I realized I had a bunch of stuff from the end of my collecting phase that I just never got around to reading. I spent time organizing it all and I have somewhere around 900+ comics that I just never read, including the entirety of Grant Morrison's Batman run (and all the various other titles during that time). I'm trying to decide if I want to open this can of worms and start reading through all these. It seems like a waste of money to have paid for all of them to just let them sit in a box...

Comment

I feel your pain. I collected in my yearly teens through my early 20s and have a steamer chest of mostly poor condition comics and another 5 or 6 boxes of the good stuff. No idea what to do with them. The steamer chest has piles of comics I read numerous times and were likely from a flea market my mom took me to about once a month. Loved going there until I found the good stuff in the Erie, PA comic book store.

Feel like I should empty out the steamer chest and chuck them. But some part of my hoarder brain will not let me. That chest moved with me 28-29 years ago and has literally been around the world with their moldering and yellowed pages tagging along.

I also have a mess of sports cards in various condition. MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL. There is some money in those but I don't really have the energy to sell them one by one on EBAY.

So my wife and I recently moved and as one does when they move, I was frustrated by just how much stuff we had. Now that we are kinda settled in the new house, we are going through and evaluating all of our stuff. What we need, what we can toss. This includes my comic book collection. I was a collector throughout my childhood and off-an-on during my teen years, going full-tilt between the ages of 18 and 23 where I would buy around 100 comics a month. My comic collecting waxed and waned a couple of times over the years, but my last foray ended in 2011. DC's reboot of their whole universe gave me a jumping off point and I wound up focusing on limited edition books instead.

Now that we've moved, I was going through all my comics deciding on what to keep and what I could get rid of and I realized I had a bunch of stuff from the end of my collecting phase that I just never got around to reading. I spent time organizing it all and I have somewhere around 900+ comics that I just never read, including the entirety of Grant Morrison's Batman run (and all the various other titles during that time). I'm trying to decide if I want to open this can of worms and start reading through all these. It seems like a waste of money to have paid for all of them to just let them sit in a box...

Comment

I think a number of us are of an age that we look at our books/collections and say "Am I going to read that again." It's time to start letting some things go, but man, saying good-bye is hard LOL!!

Comment

At times I regret dumping my comic collection back in the day. I think I've purged it twice, maybe three times. But it does just become more stuff to haul (since I had to move half way across the country in 2019, I'm well aware of how much stuff we have . . .) and it's not like I"m displaying anything or actually reading anything.

I struggle with comics in general. I've really enjoyed the digital experience and I look at all of the trades I have and wonder if I was better off buying the digital versions rather than the physical . . . but I'm still very partial to physical media (I still buy DVDs/Blurays/UHDs because streaming is not up to par in quality yet ...)

I did dump all of my CDs after I moved here. I did re-rip them into iTunes at the lossless bitrate. If movies were as easy to do that with, I would probably do that too. But another advantage of physical media is I always have it.

We watched The Gentelmen on Netflix the other night (latest Guy Ritchie movie) and it was really good, so it made me want to visit Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, along with Snatch, both of which my wife has never seen. No need to find it streaming, assuming it's even available, I just grabbed the disc off the shelf.

Whew - this was the random thoughts thread.

Comment

I've noticed that on the forum/social media posts and with work emails I am starting to skip whole words in my sentences. Age or something more sinister? Probably should run this one by a doctor but honestly I am sick to death of going to the doctor.

I even caught a missing "and" above when I re-read this before posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                                I've noticed that on the forum/social media posts and with work emails I am starting to skip whole words in my sentences. Age or something more sinister? Probably should run this one by a doctor but honestly I am sick to death of going to the doctor.

I even caught a missing "and" above when I re-read this before posting.
                                I've found myself doing that, too. This started popping up on work emails for me. My brain is faster than my typing so I found myself dropping words due to being further along in my thoughts than I was in my typing. I sometimes over-estimate my typing skills so I feel that I'm keeping up, but I'm really not. I also think that due to the ease of communicating via email and on social media platforms, we don't proofread much if at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X