No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would agree with that. I don't think I've ever been hot for them but I'm generally happy to add a few nicer editions of books that I would otherwise not be able to afford. Like Dune or The Road.

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Nothing is crazy in this hobby.

I am hot and cold on their books - I think I enjoy them more because I can get a book that appears to be a fancy special edition for an author like Agatha Christie for my wife.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Congratulations!
      Hey, Martin, I finally got back down to Powell's this weekend -- must be the first time since pre-pandemic -- and came away with a nice haul...no horror this time around, but a bevy of vintage mystery stuff. My last couple visits before this one had been a little disappointing -- maybe just a few books each time -- so I guess the secret to Powell's success is wait a couple years and let that inventory build up! That said, I don't think the solution is worth the cost...I'd almost forgotten what a soul-enriching experience that enormous place is, and I'm looking forward to getting back there soon.

Minor complaints: The in-story parking garage was closed, and, as busy as the place was, they only had the main east cashier open (the downstairs west was closed). But it was great to see it that busy...I'd heard that they were struggling a bit due to the pandemic restrictions, so I hope yesterday was a sign that things are on the rebound for them.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Hey, Martin, I finally got back down to Powell's this weekend -- must be the first time since pre-pandemic -- and came away with a nice haul...no horror this time around, but a bevy of vintage mystery stuff. My last couple visits before this one had been a little disappointing -- maybe just a few books each time -- so I guess the secret to Powell's success is wait a couple years and let that inventory build up! That said, I don't think the solution is worth the cost...I'd almost forgotten what a soul-enriching experience that enormous place is, and I'm looking forward to getting back there soon.

Minor complaints: The in-story parking garage was closed, and, as busy as the place was, they only had the main east cashier open (the downstairs west wd you made it as closed). But it was great to see it that busy...I'd heard that they were struggling a bit due to the pandemic restrictions, so I hope yesterday was a sign that things are on the rebound for them.
        Glad you were able to find some things. Pickings were slim for a while as they had halted in store book buying. Off work due to surgery but am cleared to drive so I am thinking of going down this week. If I visit Powell's and leave empty handed, I am still happier then when I arrived. Soul-enriching is a good description. I only bother with their garage if I am trading on books and the street parking is nearly impossible. Here is the parking secret. Two blocks west is a Whole Foods. The building across the street on the north has an underground garage. Park in there and enter Whole Foods. On your way back spend $10 at Whole Foods and they will validate you for two hours parking. I am not always in and out within two hours but the two free hours offsets to cost a lot.

Comment

Glad you were able to find some things. Pickings were slim for a while as they had halted in store book buying. Off work due to surgery but am cleared to drive so I am thinking of going down this week. If I visit Powell's and leave empty handed, I am still happier then when I arrived. Soul-enriching is a good description. I only bother with their garage if I am trading on books and the street parking is nearly impossible. Here is the parking secret. Two blocks west is a Whole Foods. The building across the street on the north has an underground garage. Park in there and enter Whole Foods. On your way back spend $10 at Whole Foods and they will validate you for two hours parking. I am not always in and out within two hours but the two free hours offsets to cost a lot.
          Great tip — thanks! That’s a heckuva lot better than the $4/hour I spend at that lot across the street / one block south. I’m never out under four hours, so it adds up.

Sorry to hear about the surgery, but glad to know you’re healing well and getting ready to take in some body-and-soul medicine at Powell’s.
          Last edited by RonClinton; 11-22-2021, 12:10 AM.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

That is a good tip! Trying to think of the last time we drove to Portland - whenever it was, we always seem to park in a lot about a block away - there's a really good Mexican place in the lot (well there was - not sure if it's there anymore - it's been awhile.) I know one time we took the train down from Tacoma so no need to park. And I think I've only done their garage one time - for a Neil Gaiman event, but that had to be 137 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

That is a good tip! Trying to think of the last time we drove to Portland - whenever it was, we always seem to park in a lot about a block away - there's a really good Mexican place in the lot (well there was - not sure if it's there anymore - it's been awhile.) I know one time we took the train down from Tacoma so no need to park. And I think I've only done their garage one time - for a Neil Gaiman event, but that had to be 137 years ago.
              If my memory is correct you are talking about the same lot as Ron used and the Mexican restaurant is no longer in business. They left pre-pandemic. If I was to guess I would say the got priced out of the area. The Powell's garage always reminds me of how old and patch worked that block is. I always think about the fact that is there is an earthquake while I am parked there my car is a goner. Oddly I never think about that fact that if there is an earthquake the whole building is doomed.

Comment

Have a Happy Thanksgiving all. It's all about family, friends, fellowship, and appreciating life.May your day be filled with laughter and love...and maybe a few good books.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                  Have a Happy Thanksgiving all. It's all about family, friends, fellowship, and appreciating life.May your day be filled with laughter and love...and maybe a few good books.
                  And food! Don't forget the food!

Comment

To be honest I like to focus on the other stuff now that I'm relegated to in-law Thanksgiving every year. They make things their way, not the way I like them, and that is the way it is.

Smoked Turkey (Dry), Cornbread Dressing (Dry), Baked Sweet Potatoes (No thank you), and Oyster Gravy (bland).

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

And food! Don't forget the food!

Comment

To be honest I like to focus on the other stuff now that I'm relegated to in-law Thanksgiving every year. They make things their way, not the way I like them, and that is the way it is.

Smoked Turkey (Dry), Cornbread Dressing (Dry), Baked Sweet Potatoes (No thank you), and Oyster Gravy (bland).

This will be the first time in 24 years that I am not hosting Thanksgiving. A niece is taking over so I have no clue what to expect. I am mostly in agreement on your food views. I cook the Turkey on the grill with the rotisserie and as long as you get it off at the right time and let it rest it is fantastic. I am not a fan of Sweet Potatoes and like Oysters even less. Cornbread stuffing should not be dry though, someone is doing something wrong there.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Comment

Maybe cornbread stuffing would be better but they do cornbread dressing. Either way I'm not a fan of corn bread unless it's sweet.

Turkey on the rotisserie sounds delicious by the way. I hope you have a great day tomorrow.

This will be the first time in 24 years that I am not hosting Thanksgiving. A niece is taking over so I have no clue what to expect. I am mostly in agreement on your food views. I cook the Turkey on the grill with the rotisserie and as long as you get it off at the right time and let it rest it is fantastic. I am not a fan of Sweet Potatoes and like Oysters even less. Cornbread stuffing should not be dry though, someone is doing something wrong there.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Comment

Maybe cornbread stuffing would be better but they do cornbread dressing. Either way I'm not a fan of corn bread unless it's sweet.

Turkey on the rotisserie sounds delicious by the way. I hope you have a great day tomorrow.

That could be a valid point. I have actually never made it as a stuffing, I always make it as a dressing. I always use a sweet cornbread, fresh herbs and toasted pecans so while it is definitely a savory dish it has a sweetness to it.

I have had several people tell me that the rotisserie turkey is the best they have ever had. I am actually considering buying a small turkey and cooking it Saturday.

Have a wonderful day!

Comment

Enjoy the Day!

Comment

My Thanksgiving confession is that I really don't care all that much for Turkey. More of a beef and pork guy. Love sweet potatoes though. Cornbread stuffing is awesome if done right.

Happy T-Day, all!

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I believe Thanksgiving is the only day you can eat 16oz of food but gain 6lb's.

oh, time for pie.

Mulleins
                                I'm the Caretaker of Room 217. I've always been the Caretaker of Room 217.

Comment

Working...
                                X