Clear All

Thank you, Martin. It's a tough day.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Best wishes....

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
        Thank you, Martin. It's a tough day.
        Unfortunately there will be many more tough days. There is probably nothing I can do to help from a distance but if there is anything please reach out.

Comment

The first thing I saw when I got off the plane in Denver for my job interview were signs for Tornado Shelters. I was thinking that here I was potentially moving away from the land of tsunamis and lahars, only to find myself in the land of tornadoes.

I even brought this up in my interview, but I was assured that tornadoes aren't a thing in the Denver metro area - we're simply too close to the mountains. Ok.

Well today I experienced my first tornado warning (not a watch - a warning) while at work, so we all evacuated down to the basement where we sat out the weather. My poor wife is FREAKED.

So that was Thursday.

Comment

Yikes, I hope your Friday is better.

FWIW, the Puget Sound, your old stomping grounds, remains tornado-free…and thus far Mt. Rainier hasn’t vomited any lahars, but the week isn’t over yet.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Never heard of a Lahar before.
              Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that the ash and volcano from an exploding volcano take a backseat to lahars -- all that rushing rock, debris, mud and water -- in terms of killing potential, generally speaking. That'd be especially true with volcanos like Rainier that have so much ice to melt and local rivers and streams to overflow.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                  Never heard of a Lahar before.
                  I live about an hours drive from the remnants and destruction of Mt. St. Helens. The path of the lahars looked like another planet for several years after the eruption. Definitely something you do not want to be in the path of. When Rainier blows it will be much worse because of the population base in the path. Tacoma, Puyallup and several towns will be at least partially wiped off the map.

The Portland Vancouver area occasionally has small tornados. About 30 years ago I was working at the Cornelius Fred Meyer store and a tornado hit our parking lot. It picked one of our display sheds up and dropped it on the hood of a BMW. I thought it looked pretty funny. The owner of the car did not agree.

Comment

This is looking very interesting glad I ordered it.
                    http://www.haffnerpress.com/book/the...the-balladeer/

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                      This is looking very interesting glad I ordered it.
                      http://www.haffnerpress.com/book/the...the-balladeer/
                      I have this one on pre-order as well. This will be my first purchase from their press. I do wish they had listed a publication date for this set. Am hoping that it will be sometime this year.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

I have this one on pre-order as well. This will be my first purchase from their press. I do wish they had listed a publication date for this set. Am hoping that it will be sometime this year.
                        Me too on everything you said LOL!!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I live about an hours drive from the remnants and destruction of Mt. St. Helens. The path of the lahars looked like another planet for several years after the eruption. Definitely something you do not want to be in the path of. When Rainier blows it will be much worse because of the population base in the path. Tacoma, Puyallup and several towns will be at least partially wiped off the map.

The Portland Vancouver area occasionally has small tornados. About 30 years ago I was working at the Cornelius Fred Meyer store and a tornado hit our parking lot. It picked one of our display sheds up and dropped it on the hood of a BMW. I thought it looked pretty funny. The owner of the car did not agree.
                          Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                          Yikes, I hope your Friday is better.

FWIW, the Puget Sound, your old stomping grounds, remains tornado-free…and thus far Mt. Rainier hasn’t vomited any lahars, but the week isn’t over yet.

Yeah, the whole Puyallup River Valley and surrounding areas will be gone when/if Rainier erupts. Puyallup, Orting, Pacific, parts of Auburn and Kent. It will be an immense level of destruction.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

Yeah, the whole Puyallup River Valley and surrounding areas will be gone when/if Rainier erupts. Puyallup, Orting, Pacific, parts of Auburn and Kent. It will be an immense level of destruction.
                            Yes, I remember seeing a map a few years back that had the color-coded potential of a mild, moderate, and volcanic large event in relation to lahars, and regardless of degree, it was frightening.

Comment

Just being Random - When Pink Floyds Another Brick in the Wall plays, why do I try to sing it with an English accent?
                              I'm the Caretaker of Room 217. I've always been the Caretaker of Room 217.

Comment

Speaking of random music things - I saw this last night and thought it was pretty funny. Especially since my wife has this as a tattoo on her arm (well, not the song lyrics part.)
                                Screenshot 2021-08-21 at 11.45.58 AM.png
                                (Just in case - these are sort of the song lyrics to Rob Zombie's Dragula.)

Comment

Working...
                                X