Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonClinton
    replied
    Haffner Press has slowed waaayyy down from their schedule they were on a decade or so ago, and now books come out at a very sporadic pace, sometimes years apart. That's why I don't preorder from them any longer, and opt to wait and pay the extra $5 or $10 to order when they're actually shipping. They have a number of books I'm looking forward to, but none I plan to preorder.

He is periodically on Twitter -- @HaffnerPress -- so you could tweet him via that platform, but I don't know if you'll have any better luck than your email...as mentioned, he's only on Twitter once in a great while. Your best course of action, IMO, is to try and not sweat about it and to exercise the same degree of patience you'd need to with a Cemetery Dance preorder, because they both now move at a snail's pace, unfortunately. That's not to say I condone his apparent silence to a customer's emails, but any response you'd get from him would just be similar to one you'd get from CD...it's in the works, still nailing down design tweaks, dealing with supply chain issues, printer scheduling issues, etc.

But Haffner books are worth waiting for -- some of the nicest trade editions around and at an attractive price point...hard to beat that combo.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 05-03-2022, 08:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Did you try this phone number?

Phone: (248) 288-4765

Thanks for this number. Hadn't seen that listed anywhere. Maybe I can at least leave them a voicemail or something since they won't return a direct email. Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Random question, but, has anyone here ever purchased anything directly from Haffner Press? In May 2021, I pre-ordered "The Complete John the Balladeer" from them. I've been trying to contact them over the last few months to see if they have any sort of production update on the title; however, I cannot get anyone over there to respond back to me. Per the contact page of their website, I have sent multiple emails to [email protected] with no luck. I also don't have a Facebook or Twitter account to be able to reach them that way and am super-resistant to having to create one to do so. Might anyone here have an update on this title or an alternative way to contact them? Any info is appreciated!
    I ordered it as well. They seem a little touchy about it. This ws posted on FB Feb 3...

Haffner Press
    Harding McFadden Sooner than later. Still wrangling paper, bookcloth, and a production slot. It seems like it is on track in the next couple of months.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Did you try this phone number?

Phone: (248) 288-4765

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Random question, but, has anyone here ever purchased anything directly from Haffner Press? In May 2021, I pre-ordered "The Complete John the Balladeer" from them. I've been trying to contact them over the last few months to see if they have any sort of production update on the title; however, I cannot get anyone over there to respond back to me. Per the contact page of their website, I have sent multiple emails to [email protected] with no luck. I also don't have a Facebook or Twitter account to be able to reach them that way and am super-resistant to having to create one to do so. Might anyone here have an update on this title or an alternative way to contact them? Any info is appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Thank you. Happy that he is doing something creative with his time.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    Best of luck to your budding author.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Best of luck to your budding author.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Thank you. That is very kind of you.

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Thanks for the link. Purchased, not sure when I will get to reading it though.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    As some of you may remember I have an adult age son who is autistic. He wrote a very short e-book and listed it on Amazon. To be honest the book is a bit nonsensical but, as his parents, we find some of the stories funny. If you would like to check it out I'm sure he would greatly appreciate it.

If you happen to check it out, and you like it, please share the link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If this is not allowed on the forum just let me know.

P.S. We were a bit worried about him doing this as he has extreme reaction(s) to being criticized. Hopefully he will receive some positive replies and this will be an experience that builds him up a bit. Anyway. Done with the ramble.
    Thanks for the link. Purchased, not sure when I will get to reading it though.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    As some of you may remember I have an adult age son who is autistic. He wrote a very short e-book and listed it on Amazon. To be honest the book is a bit nonsensical but, as his parents, we find some of the stories funny. If you would like to check it out I'm sure he would greatly appreciate it.

If you happen to check it out, and you like it, please share the link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If this is not allowed on the forum just let me know.

P.S. We were a bit worried about him doing this as he has extreme reaction(s) to being criticized. Hopefully he will receive some positive replies and this will be an experience that builds him up a bit. Anyway. Done with the ramble.
    Last edited by Ben Staad; 04-28-2022, 03:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Looks nice, and good to see a city working to improve things to attract visitors and encourage private and corporate business. The Seattle city council and other officials could learn a lot from that approach. Yes, Seattle is presently redesigning its own waterfront area, but it does so even as it turns a blind eye to broad and endemic issues that aren’t at all addressed by slapping on some lipstick on a few blocks of waterfront.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Lucky. Here in the NE area of WA’s King County the sales tax rate is 10.2%. At least I don’t live in the cesspool that is downtown Seattle, and have to see daily those tax dollars squandered on poorly conceived social programs and ideological agendas that have ruined a once beautiful city.
    I knew it was higher but did not realize it was that much higher up north. I think it is actually 8.8% inside Vancouver city limits and 8.5 in unincorporated Clark County. For many years I had to pay both but working from home has eliminated the Oregon income tax.

I have no issue with how Vancouver and Clark Couny are using the taxes they collect. We have issues but the roads are well maintained, and the development has been pretty smart. Here is a photo of our new Waterfront in Downtown Vancouver. It is less than half developed but is already a destination point for people in both NW Oregon and SW Washington.
    Vancouver Warerfront.jpg
    Last edited by Martin; 04-24-2022, 12:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post
    In my experience how the taxes are used has little bearing on how they were collected. I Live in Washington state with no income tax and about 8.5% sales tax.
    Lucky. Here in the NE area of WA’s King County the sales tax rate is 10.2%. At least I don’t live in the cesspool that is downtown Seattle, and have to see daily those tax dollars squandered on poorly conceived social programs and ideological agendas that have ruined a once beautiful city.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    In my experience how the taxes are used has little bearing on how they were collected. I Live in Washington state with no income tax and about 8.5% sales tax. Just to my south is Oregon. No sates tax but a 9% income tax. Southwest Washington has better social services, better schools, better roads lower property tax than Northwest Oregon.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Ha. That is certainly one thing I didn't know was different. I assumed streetlights were something that was always paid for by the consumer.

It is the same in my part of Florida. If you want a streetlight you have to pay for it. If there is no streetlight there is an upcharge to have one installed and then a separate fee to have it turned on.

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

I remember when my brother-in-law moved to Florida, he said that none of the streetlights near his house were working. He called to report that, and was told that there was a $50 per year charge to have the light turned on, and none of his neighbors were paying it He paid, so now he has light outside his house at night.

I'll definitely be looking hard at the overall tax situation when we figure out where we're retiring to.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X