Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    Based on plans made early this year, my wife and I planned to hit the Walla Walla area this summer or Fall, and...well, that didn’t work out, to say the least. Maybe next year.
    I do recommend going but not in the summer. There are also some nice places to eat in the downtown area and the Whitman College campus is a beautiful place to walk around. I know I found one of my King 1st editions in a little used bookstore downtown but can't remember which book it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I too have never heard of these items. If you showed me that picture and asked what country they came from I would never have guessed U.|S.A.
      These are all from Ireland and the UK. It used to be hard to find them here in the US, but I'm lucky enough to have a store nearby that imports a lot of candy, food, and other items from the UK.

You can also find all this stuff online now, and at this time of the year, shipping isn't a problem - http://www.foodireland.com/c/candybars.html

Cadbury in the US is actually Hershey, who licensed the name from Cadbury UK back when that company was in financial difficulties. US Cadbury chocolate tastes nothing like the 'real' thing

The whole story can be found in Chocolate Wars, by Deborah Cadbury - https://www.amazon.com/Chocolate-War...s%2C155&sr=8-1

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

These are all from Ireland and the UK. It used to be hard to find them here in the US, but I'm lucky enough to have a store nearby that imports a lot of candy, food, and other items from the UK.

You can also find all this stuff online now, and at this time of the year, shipping isn't a problem - http://www.foodireland.com/c/candybars.html

Cadbury in the US is actually Hershey, who licensed the name from Cadbury UK back when that company was in financial difficulties. US Cadbury chocolate tastes nothing like the 'real' thing

The whole story can be found in Chocolate Wars, by Deborah Cadbury - https://www.amazon.com/Chocolate-War...s%2C155&sr=8-1
        Thanks for the explanation. I actually thought Hershey had purchased in total. The items pictured makes more sense. There is a popcorn store near me that I believe has unique candies as well. I may check to see if they have any of these just so I can say I tried them. The EU has a of requirements regarding using actual food products in food. That leads to the same items tasting better in Europe than in the US. Not sure that Cadbury difference with Hershey is part of that but it would not surprise me.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I agree that candy bars from Europe are much better than the ones here in the States. I'm convinced it's using sugar and not corn syrup plus maybe eliminating some forms of preservatives which makes the difference.

In regards to the corn syrup vs. sugar deal, if I buy soda, I prefer the imported stuff that uses sugar as the sweetener over the stuff that uses corn syrup.

Mexican packaged Coke is much better in my opinion.

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Come on over, you can have the whole bag!
            Sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
              Thanks for the reply. I agree that candy bars from Europe are much better than the ones here in the States. I'm convinced it's using sugar and not corn syrup plus maybe eliminating some forms of preservatives which makes the difference.

In regards to the corn syrup vs. sugar deal, if I buy soda, I prefer the imported stuff that uses sugar as the sweetener over the stuff that uses corn syrup.

Completely agree with you and will even go a step further. Products made with Cane Sugar tastes better than the same thing made with Beet Sugar.

Comment

Agreed about Mexican sodas and they come in glass bottles which always taste better.

You guys are killing me. I'm really carving one of those big, huge stickers that take a week to eat.

Comment

Yes. The glass bottles for whatever reason make a huge difference.

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

Agreed about Mexican sodas and they come in glass bottles which always taste better.

You guys are killing me. I'm really carving one of those big, huge stickers that take a week to eat.

Comment

Quick note though with good reason. So this morning I woke up at 2:30 due to pain in
                    my middle abdomen. Not that bad but enough to wake me up. A quick pee seemed to slightly help and went back to bed. Soon more pain and as the early morning progressed it became worse in that I was soon moaning in acute pain. I ended up waking my wife Cindy up and she wanted to take me to our local hospital. I did not want to go due to COVID patient fears. However as time still went on I became much worse enough to beg her to take me to the hospital. She asked me which one. We prefer one further away (about 25 minutes plus) but the closer one being about ten minutes away she sped to that one. By this time I was moaning and crying out in pain. Cindy had to do all the check in procedure for me. Only one person in the waiting room. Once checked in (they would not let Cindy in the hospital proper) they wheelchaired me into a prep type room. There I lay moaning till they drew some blood, temp check, blood pressure check. Finally gave me some pain and nausea medicine. Ended up having to have more of both. When asked on a 1-10 pain scale I told them 9. Ended up having a CT scan and the results were a kidney stone. A small one but enough to wipe me out with the pain. Never had one and I can say never want one. More pain meds and released with some prescriptions Cindy had to pick up. Medicine supposed to make me sleepy and so already called in for Sunday work.

Nice start to my weekend. Could have been much worse if this had happened next week with Cindy out of town.

Glad I am home now.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jargendeli View Post
                      Quick note though with good reason. So this morning I woke up at 2:30 due to pain in
                      my middle abdomen. Not that bad but enough to wake me up. A quick pee seemed to slightly help and went back to bed. Soon more pain and as the early morning progressed it became worse in that I was soon moaning in acute pain. I ended up waking my wife Cindy up and she wanted to take me to our local hospital. I did not want to go due to COVID patient fears. However as time still went on I became much worse enough to beg her to take me to the hospital. She asked me which one. We prefer one further away (about 25 minutes plus) but the closer one being about ten minutes away she sped to that one. By this time I was moaning and crying out in pain. Cindy had to do all the check in procedure for me. Only one person in the waiting room. Once checked in (they would not let Cindy in the hospital proper) they wheelchaired me into a prep type room. There I lay moaning till they drew some blood, temp check, blood pressure check. Finally gave me some pain and nausea medicine. Ended up having to have more of both. When asked on a 1-10 pain scale I told them 9. Ended up having a CT scan and the results were a kidney stone. A small one but enough to wipe me out with the pain. Never had one and I can say never want one. More pain meds and released with some prescriptions Cindy had to pick up. Medicine supposed to make me sleepy and so already called in for Sunday work.

Nice start to my weekend. Could have been much worse if this had happened next week with Cindy out of town.

Glad I am home now.

Jim
                      Glad you are now home and know what it is. I had a similar situation with my Gall Bladder several years except I did not wasn't to wake my wife so I snuck out and drove the 1/2 mile to the hospital. Unfortunately they sedated me and by the time I was awake and aware of things my wife was awake and calling my phone to find me. That did not go over well. Take care of yourself and feel better!

Comment

Been there before my friend. I've had multiple stones before with little issue but the last 2 of 3 were just like you described.

Wish you the best in passing it and getting through the pain.

On a side note the 2 painful ones wouldn't pass and I needed surgery to remove them. Hopefully it doesn't come to that for you.

Originally posted by Jargendeli View Post

Glad I am home now.

Jim

Comment

Thought this was cool.

A Florida man is captured on camera saving his dog from an alligator in October. The man had a camera in his Estero backyard.

Comment

Who would have thought that issue 6 would be the hardest to find issue of Cemetery Dance? I thought it would be number 1.

Comment

Originally posted by saginawhorror View Post
                              Who would have thought that issue 6 would be the hardest to find issue of Cemetery Dance? I thought it would be number 1.
                              I had 'em all at one time. Long since sold off.

Comment

Thought this was cool.
                                Good thing it was small. Probably not wise to allow dogs to swim in FL waters.

Comment

Working...
                                X