Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    That is time you will never get back. (If you can't tell, I found this story a complete waste of time.)
    Yeah, the JDATE trilogy isn't for everyone. It's outlandish, immature, and nonsensical (in parts). But I loved it. For me, it hit the sweet spot of horror, humor, and action. But I can totally see how David Wong's style can be polarizing. I take the whole bro-comedy aspect of the trilogy as a way of satirizing the pointlessness of it all--everything. Every institution, structure, and idea of humankind leads to pointless destruction so we might as well laugh as we enter the inferno. I love the protagonist-adjascent character John.

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Interesting. This has been on my reading list for awhile, because I really enjoyed the campy "b" movie they made.
    If you liked the movie, you'll probably really enjoy the book. I saw the movie and I couldn't imagine how it made any sense to anyone who didn't read the book first. So for you, the book should fill in all the blanks that perhaps you didn't even know were there. Though for anyone who didn't like the movie, you'll probably hate the book--even though it explains what you've watched and therefore is a better experience, the tone is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
      Yeah, the JDATE trilogy isn't for everyone. It's outlandish, immature, and nonsensical (in parts). But I loved it. For me, it hit the sweet spot of horror, humor, and action. But I can totally see how David Wong's style can be polarizing. I take the whole bro-comedy aspect of the trilogy as a way of satirizing the pointlessness of it all--everything. Every institution, structure, and idea of humankind leads to pointless destruction so we might as well laugh as we enter the inferno. I love the protagonist-adjascent character John.

If you liked the movie, you'll probably really enjoy the book. I saw the movie and I couldn't imagine how it made any sense to anyone who didn't read the book first. So for you, the book should fill in all the blanks that perhaps you didn't even know were there. Though for anyone who didn't like the movie, you'll probably hate the book--even though it explains what you've watched and therefore is a better experience, the tone is the same.
      I have never seen the movie or read the sequels. I have devoted more than enough of my life to these characters. I generally enjoy campy and silly humor. This one just did not work for me.

Comment

I saw that David Wong had a new book coming out titled Zoey Punches the Future in the Dick. And so I immediately set about pre-ordering it only to discover that it's a sequel to the Wong book that I've been meaning to read but haven't read yet Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits. So I immediately set about ordering that one from Amazon in hardcover for just $13. I got it yesterday. It came in a bag. A f**king bag. And the top and bottom edges of the spine were pushed in a little and the dust jacket is wrinkled and bent at those same spots and I thought "That's what you get for buying from some random asshat on Amazon and not going to a store to actually select a fine copy yourself, asshat."

Anyway, I'm hoping someone does more limited editions of Wong's work. My John Dies at the End is lonely on the shelf. Sure, he's with a couple trade editions but they run with different cliques.
        That's why I tend "collect" trade editions. I'd be too persnickety. I love trade HC and paperbacks, but those I carry in my car to read on lunch breaks and don't get too upset when they get a little weathered. Sorry to hear that your edition got all beat up. Bags for books should be banned.

Comment

Does anybody know if Sub Press sends out advance emails to previous rights holders for the series they publish? I just stumbled across Dead Astronauts by Vandermeer up for sale on their site and it is open only to rights holders. I did by The Complete Borne through them so I'm good to go, but I don't remember this being announced to rights holders or the public.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
            Does anybody know if Sub Press sends out advance emails to previous rights holders for the series they publish? I just stumbled across Dead Astronauts by Vandermeer up for sale on their site and it is open only to rights holders. I did by The Complete Borne through them so I'm good to go, but I don't remember this being announced to rights holders or the public.
            The email came through just this morning. So very fortuitous that you stumbled on it the same day! You should have gotten an email. Maybe check your spam folder. I also bought Complete Borne direct from them and I got my order in for Dead Astronauts as well.

And for anyone who wants a signed trade edition of DA, there is a local bookstore selling all kinds of VanderMeer books. Here are the details:

Thank you for your interest in ordering Jeff VanderMeer's newest novel, DEAD ASTRONAUTS ($27.00 + tax and ship). We cannot wait to share this incredibly unique new story with you!

To purchase a book personalized by Jeff VanderMeer, please call Midtown Reader at 850-425-2665 (M-Sat 10 am - 6 pm, Sunday 12-4 pm) and have the following information available:

1. Credit card information including your card number, expiration date, and CVV.
            2. How many books you would like included in your order. Additional signed VanderMeer titles are also available for order.
            3. The first and last name to whom you would like the book signed. If you would like a generically signed copy (author's signature only), that is also available.
            4. The shipping address for your order. The flat shipping rate for 1 copy of DEAD ASTRONAUTS is $3.27 nationwide.

Thank you so much for ordering DEAD ASTRONAUTS and for supporting local, independent bookstores. We look forward to hearing from you!

Tanya

Comment

To Jeffingoff,
              Release the tapes! Revival, The Stand and the Little Black book is actually three books not two. Seeing your copy of The Stand actually makes me regret passing o that one!

Best,
              Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                To Jeffingoff,
                Release the tapes! Revival, The Stand and the Little Black book is actually three books not two. Seeing your copy of The Stand actually makes me regret passing o that one!

Best,
                Martin
                Dear Martin,

You'll need a subpoena if you ever want to see those tapes! Seriously, let me protect you. They are trash. I literally ran down into the basement with dripping wet boxes to get them out and still create content for my channel. I look panicked and I act panicked and I am panicked.

I only mention and show the Little Book briefly so I didn't think it would bedworth advertising the new little book.

Sorry you passed on The Stand. I remember a lot of collectors were turned off by the artwork. I'm sure you're not alone in those who wish they could redo that decision.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Comment

Dear Martin,

You'll need a subpoena if you ever want to see those tapes! Seriously, let me protect you. They are trash. I literally ran down into the basement with dripping wet boxes to get them out and still create content for my channel. I look panicked and I act panicked and I am panicked.

I only mention and show the Little Book briefly so I didn't think it would bedworth advertising the new little book.

Sorry you passed on The Stand. I remember a lot of collectors were turned off by the artwork. I'm sure you're not alone in those who wish they could redo that decision.

Sincerely,

Jeff
                  Expect a subpoena later in the week. We deserve to see. I never had issue with the art for The Stand, I actually liked it and seeing you copy I like it even more. My issue was the retail for the type of book PS produces. I did not feel I would find value. I may have been wrong on that one.

Comment

If you were in a wet t-shirt it may garner some new viewers. Meta words, or however this works, as wet shirt and unveiling.

Dear Martin,

Sincerely,

Jeff
                    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by khaos View Post
                      I loved Swan Song for the first half. Then it fell apart badly for me. Whenever the time jump happened...
                      The time jump also took me right out of it, but I did manage to finish it. I never really loved Swan Song, but I think it somewhat redeemed itself in the end (although nothing could make up for the turkey dinner - nothing). Anyone who has enjoyed McCammon should read it.
                      Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                        If you were in a wet t-shirt it may garner some new viewers. Meta words, or however this works, as wet shirt and unveiling.
                        That's on my members-only channel. $666 a year to join.

Comment

That's on my members-only channel. $666 a year to join.
                          You mean your "OnlyFans" account?

(I don't know if anyone here is internet savy enough to know what that is / get that joke...)
                          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Over my head.png

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                            You mean your "OnlyFans" account?

(I don't know if anyone here is internet savy enough to know what that is / get that joke...)
                            Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]21918[/ATTACH]
                              hahahaha me too.

Comment

Ditto.

Comment

Working...
                                X