Pork Pie Hat by Peter Straub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Pie Hat by Peter Straub

*I apologize in advance if I am posting this in the wrong spot, I started a thread because I couldn't find one. That doesn't mean there isn't one ...*

Did anyone here read this novella? What did you think?

I finished it last week and I have to say, I really enjoyed it. I've never read anything by Peter Straub before and because of Pork Pie Hat, it is likely I will try something more in the future. Any suggestions?

The prose was easy to read and enjoyable, with what I thought were pretty interesting characters. I enjoy books that leave me asking questions, (like most of life leaves me asking questions) not because I was confused but because sometimes the complexity of human nature, individuals and circumstance leaves lots of room for interpretation and discussion.

I'd like to get into the specifics but I don't want to spoil the experience for anyone. Anyway, I am likely to pick this up for some Jazz lovers in my life who might appreciate a spooky, thoughtful yarn.

Ron, I agree that Pork Pie Hat is a nice little story. Straubs writing varies greatly and he has been writing for a long time so there are many stories I could recommend. My favorite is probably "Lost Boy, Lost Girl" with "The Hellfire Club" next.
    Originally posted by Ron K View Post
    *I apologize in advance if I am posting this in the wrong spot, I started a thread because I couldn't find one. That doesn't mean there isn't one ...*

Did anyone here read this novella? What did you think?

I finished it last week and I have to say, I really enjoyed it. I've never read anything by Peter Straub before and because of Pork Pie Hat, it is likely I will try something more in the future. Any suggestions?

The prose was easy to read and enjoyable, with what I thought were pretty interesting characters. I enjoy books that leave me asking questions, (like most of life leaves me asking questions) not because I was confused but because sometimes the complexity of human nature, individuals and circumstance leaves lots of room for interpretation and discussion.

I'd like to get into the specifics but I don't want to spoil the experience for anyone. Anyway, I am likely to pick this up for some Jazz lovers in my life who might appreciate a spooky, thoughtful yarn.

Comment

I also enjoyed Pork Pie Hat. Not sure where to begin with regards recommendations though. For his earlier works it is hard to go past Ghost Story and Shadowland. His Blue Rose series starting with Koko is also very good. Of his later stories The Hellfire Club is highly recommended. Despite enjoying his work I was not able to finish his most recent novel A Dark Matter as I found it a mess to try and read. May need to re visit and give it another chance.

Comment

A Dark Matter and Mr X are both tough reads. I read them both but am not sure I would read them again. Beyond those two You really can't go wrong.
        Originally posted by PaulB View Post
        I also enjoyed Pork Pie Hat. Not sure where to begin with regards recommendations though. For his earlier works it is hard to go past Ghost Story and Shadowland. His Blue Rose series starting with Koko is also very good. Of his later stories The Hellfire Club is highly recommended. Despite enjoying his work I was not able to finish his most recent novel A Dark Matter as I found it a mess to try and read. May need to re visit and give it another chance.

Comment

I can recommend Ghost Story, but since that is the only Straub I've made it through, I can't comment on the others. But I have Mr. X sitting on my pb shelves if I ever want to try it again...
          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Read "Lost Boy, Lost Girl", that is a great story!
            Originally posted by srboone View Post
            I can recommend Ghost Story, but since that is the only Straub I've made it through, I can't comment on the others. But I have Mr. X sitting on my pb shelves if I ever want to try it again...

Comment

I first read pork pie hat years ago in Peter's short story collection magic terror.Being a huge jazz fan I loved the story.I also must say I have not read Ghost story
              but it is in my huge pile of to be read books.I hope to get to it this winter along with McCammons swan song and Barkers weaveworld.As I said before we have long winters up here so long books make winter go by faster.

Comment

Also really liked Pork Pie Hat. Shadowland is a good one too. Planning to read Ghost Story sometime soon
                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                  I first read pork pie hat years ago in Peter's short story collection magic terror.Being a huge jazz fan I loved the story.I also must say I have not read Ghost story
                  but it is in my huge pile of to be read books.I hope to get to it this winter along with McCammons swan song and Barkers weaveworld.As I said before we have long winters up here so long books make winter go by faster.
                  Swan Song will always hold a special place for me, my brother and father and I all enjoyed it ... similar to Ender's Game in that way. The best books were always the ones that connected us. I hope you enjoy it. It's interesting you mention Weaveworld, I've been wanting to try Clive Barker and deciding where I should start.

Comment

I didn't realize Pork Pie Hat was originally published in another book. That is very interesting. I was just about to purchase a Blatty novel here (Elsewhere) when I read that it was in a book called 999 ... that I picked up awhile back at Half Priced Books. I would have been kicking myself. Although .... I must say ... the format and art on Pork Pie Hat were part of my enjoyment, so?

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      Read "Lost Boy, Lost Girl", that is a great story!
                      This one keeps coming up, so I think I will track down a copy. Ghost Story seems to be an important one too. Although everyone pretty much says it should be avoided, I am kind of fascinated to see what makes A Dark Matter such a mess. Hellfire Club just makes me think of the X-Men

Comment

I likely will end up picking up A Dark Matter despite the very mixed reviews to see how well I like that one
                        WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                        Spoiler!

Comment

Ghost Story is oe of my all time favorite horror novels. I also loved Shadowland.
                          "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron K View Post
                            I didn't realize Pork Pie Hat was originally published in another book. That is very interesting. I was just about to purchase a Blatty novel here (Elsewhere) when I read that it was in a book called 999 ... that I picked up awhile back at Half Priced Books. I would have been kicking myself. Although .... I must say ... the format and art on Pork Pie Hat were part of my enjoyment, so?
                            So go for it.I have 999 and still bought the signed Elsewhere.The art in it also
                            is great. Both books to me were worth owning because the original publications were my first introductions to them.(besides the 2 king straub books)So they hold
                            a special place and are good reminders of being introduced to new writers.Just like CD has done for me with Garton,Lee,Ketchum and Freeman,to name a few.

Comment

I would echo the other recommendations for Straub, Ghost Story, etc. but also say that I very much enjoyed A Dark Matter.
                              Although "Mr. X" I wasn't fond of, I read that some time ago, and I may just not have been in the mood for an HP Lovecraft homage, which is basically a description of Mr. X in a nutshell.
                              He also has a short short story in Taverns of the Dead, "Bar Talk" and collaborated with Stephen King on Black House.
                              And I think one of the next books to come out is The Buffalo Hunter.
                              It's obviously cheaper to pick up old paperbacks of a book, but I'd agree part of the enjoyment is seeing a reprinted book or story get special treatment like "Pork Pie Hat" and the anniversary edition of IT.
                              Also, one other Stephen King/Peter connection is King's story "Crouch End". I think he may have visited Straub in "Crouch End" during King's visit to the UK, and perhaps took away some of his memories of the place when writing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X