No announcement yet.

New Collector Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah, that was the Beatles. Oops, maybe not. That was "Tomorrow Never Knows".
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron K View Post
      Ok, another newbie question ... do you all feel that these books are really collectible? I have to admit I'm not the type to buy and sale but I do try and often direct my purchases towards collectibles that will maintain or increase in value (hopefully). Is there a big market for the types of edition Cemetery Press produces in the secondary market? One reason I ask is because I noticed a McCammon book that is a prequel to another edition ... when I looked on eBay the prices were somewhat varied (not sure what the original cost) but no one was bidding. Maybe it is more of a "buy it now" market. Like I said, I really don't sell anything anyway but the wife is always more responsive when I can say in good faith "hey, this is a good investment".
      LOL you sound just like me. 98% of the time I buy books I know (or hope) will increase in value....rarely do I buy one because I want to read it unless it's a $1.05 PB on Amazon.
      If you want the most collectible stuff, stick with King limiteds or signed trades....if you're not lucky enough to win some in lotteries like from Grant, then get them from Betts. Or try to pay attention to small presses no one's heard of and see if they're publishing something by a well known author and on top of that, a low number of limiteds. Just Google small press, etc. Two perfect examples are the original limited of The Woman by Ketchum and Dracula by Kings Way Press.

And why do I seem to be the only one who has always used Gaylord DJ protectors and not Brodart?? I think it may be because of the first book I bought in the 80's that was collectible from the Overlook Connection, had a Gaylord cover on it.

Comment

I specialize in Stephen King proofs. I keep them in archival quality plastic bags. This keeps them dust-free and well protected.

John

Comment

Not only do I Brodart my DJ, I also bag them.
          w. John

Comment

I do the same with mine as well, and if I hadn't done that with all those UK editions by Laymon, they'd all have yellow pages today. I wasn't even aware that Headline used rotten paper back then until rather recently. My copy of Funland still looks like it was published yesterday...

Comment

Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
              And why do I seem to be the only one who has always used Gaylord DJ protectors and not Brodart?? I think it may be because of the first book I bought in the 80's that was collectible from the Overlook Connection, had a Gaylord cover on it.
              Your not alone I also use Gaylord, always have always will.
              Rich DeMars

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Tree705 View Post
                Your not alone I also use Gaylord, always have always will.
                Yeah, but it really is true that Brodart makes the DJ art look "brighter". But I'm just too used to Gaylord and looking at Brodart's website, I'm not sure I could even put them on myself. With my luck I'd probably tear the dust jacket.
                I'm not going to even risk trying to put one on the limited of IT.

Comment

Welcome back, Rich! How are things going?
                  "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Yeah, but it really is true that Brodart makes the DJ art look "brighter". But I'm just too used to Gaylord and looking at Brodart's website, I'm not sure I could even put them on myself. With my luck I'd probably tear the dust jacket.
                    I'm not going to even risk trying to put one on the limited of IT.
                    Rich, the Brodart "single serving" covers are VERY easy to put on. Just make sure you buy the extra loan ones for the height you want.

Comment

I'm not sure how well the IT books will fit in the slipcases with covers on. There's not a whole lot of extra room.
                      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Then I'll probably just be very careful with it. Besides, it's a traycase with a lid, right? So that should keep it safe, and I think I better buy an extra one just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                          Rich, the Brodart "single serving" covers are VERY easy to put on. Just make sure you buy the extra loan ones for the height you want.
                          I'll have to try some of those. Can you or someone else please give me the exact links to what kind I should by?? I especially want some for my Secretary of Dreams books and they're pretty big. If I buy that type size, can I cut them down to fit all my other books by CD? I'll probably need about 25-30 and use my Gaylord covers for my non-fiction stuff like I've done so much of in the past.

I ask for the link because when I went there in the past, they had 2 different types of covers (I think) and I wasn't sure what one to get.

Comment

Then I'll probably just be very careful with it. Besides, it's a traycase with a lid, right? So that should keep it safe, and I think I better buy an extra one just in case.
                            Oh I was talking about the gift edition. I'm not sure how tight the fit is with the signed edition.
                            CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                            Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I'll have to try some of those. Can you or someone else please give me the exact links to what kind I should by?? I especially want some for my Secretary of Dreams books and they're pretty big. If I buy that type size, can I cut them down to fit all my other books by CD? I'll probably need about 25-30 and use my Gaylord covers for my non-fiction stuff like I've done so much of in the past.

I ask for the link because when I went there in the past, they had 2 different types of covers (I think) and I wasn't sure what one to get.
                              Hiya Scott - I buy a lot of Brodart and Mylar stuff from the US, the following is the link to the eBay store of the people I deal with (they're great on price, delivery and excellent on customer service - and, they'll be happy to answer any questions that you may have). Good luck !!!!

http://stores.ebay.com.au/John-Balls...id=p4340.l2563

Comment

Thanks Grant. But if I remember correctly, SOD was something like 10 by 13"...so what size would I get? And if I'm wrong about the size, can someone hear tell me the correct size so I don't buy the wrong ones?
                                Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                                X