No announcement yet.

New Collector Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do agree that they look good, I just don't think I'd be very good about making sure to get them on my books. So then I'd be spending money on them and doing nothing with them, lol. Maybe if I have time when I am done with school I will think about doing it more.

Some books would likely be more difficult if the slipcase they are housed in was a tight fit.

Some companies put Broadart covers on their books before shipping them to you. The only one I know that does it for sure is Camelot books, though I'm sure others do as well. Would be awesome if CD did that, but definitely understand them not doing it with the amount of books produced and shipped out.

I was pleasantly surprised when I got my slipcased copy of Bad News to discover the owner had put a cover on that one, which looks great (though the book obviously sits in the slipcase)
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

Comment

I used the Brodart single sheet archival covers. They are very easy to put and on take off with no change to the dust jacket. I would not go without them as they protected the edges from any accidental bumps/tears.

Comment

I'm of two minds (one in the gutter like some others I may mention ) the other, well, I pretty much Brodart all my books (have various sizes of Brodart to suit fairly much all sizes) with the exceptions being those that are (a) slipcased tightly enough so that you can't Brodart them even if you wanted to and (b) those that are traycased, which can cause the book to "pop" sufficiently enough to lift the traycase lid, which just looks evil and puts the traycase out of true. I probably shouldn't bother so much, as I've got reading copies of books that I've had for 20 years with no protection and they still look fine without ever benefiting from any covering - then again, I suppose it's a matter of protecting the investment - big difference between spilling coffee/beer/bourbon/scotch on a year old paperback and doing the same to a Limited or Lettered edition
        Last edited by Grant Wootton; 10-13-2011, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Well, thank goodness some people around here use them ... I was starting to feel like some sort of creepy book collector who has to wrap all his "precious" while the rest of the normals relax in the reality that all this mylar isn't necessary.

Comment

Ok, another newbie question ... do you all feel that these books are really collectible? I have to admit I'm not the type to buy and sale but I do try and often direct my purchases towards collectibles that will maintain or increase in value (hopefully). Is there a big market for the types of edition Cemetery Press produces in the secondary market? One reason I ask is because I noticed a McCammon book that is a prequel to another edition ... when I looked on eBay the prices were somewhat varied (not sure what the original cost) but no one was bidding. Maybe it is more of a "buy it now" market. Like I said, I really don't sell anything anyway but the wife is always more responsive when I can say in good faith "hey, this is a good investment".

Comment

I never consider resale value. The books I purchase are ones I want to read and put on a bookshelf in my library. But then, I don't consider myself a collector. And I've stopped "bidding" for items. I find something for sale and I buy it. Or I wait.
              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Most of the bidding on books takes place in the last 20 minutes. If you have a life it sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron K View Post
                  Ok, another newbie question ... do you all feel that these books are really collectible? I have to admit I'm not the type to buy and sale but I do try and often direct my purchases towards collectibles that will maintain or increase in value (hopefully). Is there a big market for the types of edition Cemetery Press produces in the secondary market? One reason I ask is because I noticed a McCammon book that is a prequel to another edition ... when I looked on eBay the prices were somewhat varied (not sure what the original cost) but no one was bidding. Maybe it is more of a "buy it now" market. Like I said, I really don't sell anything anyway but the wife is always more responsive when I can say in good faith "hey, this is a good investment".
                  Yeah, that's what I tell Connie with all the stuff I buy - "it's not for me darlin' it's for the future" Seriously though, I (like Squire above) want what I want and just go get it (funds depending, of course) although, truth to tell, I do enjoy eBay auctions now and again, purely from a snipers point of view - gets the adrenalin going (then again, if you want a good book at a good price, I've always favoured Abebooks - what you see is what you get, and the price is upfront and I've not had a negative expereince with any of Abe's sellers, which isn't true of eBay, where you get the occasion boofhead that trys to play you As regards whether all books are collectible, well, to me they are, so long they are (a) attractive, (b) numbered/lettered (c) signed - bugger it, ALL books are collectible ...
                  Last edited by Grant Wootton; 10-15-2011, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jester05jk View Post
                    Most of the bidding on books takes place in the last 20 minutes. If you have a life it sucks.
                    lol

Comment

Originally posted by jester05jk View Post
                      Depends on the book I guess, and how it's labelled by the seller too. I've had a few books where I got outbid on, but that was also because someone else was willing to pay more than I was, and I have also been on the late bidding end of that as well.

If you are lucky you can find a book that is missing some detail that would make it go for potentially more $$.

There have been a few books that I bid on days before they ended and won with my small bid
                      WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                      Spoiler!

Comment

You can never predict the future market. If you can, skip the books and buy stocks. For me, I like having a great and beautiful book on the shelf by an artist that I adore. Also that it is something rare, that few others have too. It's nice to think of how valuable they are, but that could all disappear in a second (market or damage). I'm also a bit of a completist, so my more precious and collectible books are by the couple authors that I have most everything I can get.
                        "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I never buy a book based on any perceived future value. I buy books that I want to read and own. That said I have a lot of limited editions and I do watch the secondary market just to see what the value is. About 15% of my books sell for a premium now. Some that I would guess would be valued higher are not and some that I would never think would demand a premium do. If you but books based on perceived future value you will be disappointed. Just my opinion.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. This is really good commentary from all.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                              I never buy a book based on any perceived future value. I buy books that I want to read and own. That said I have a lot of limited editions and I do watch the secondary market just to see what the value is. About 15% of my books sell for a premium now. Some that I would guess would be valued higher are not and some that I would never think would demand a premium do. If you but books based on perceived future value you will be disappointed. Just my opinion.
                              Ditto Martin, I collect graphic novels and comics and NEVER buy for percieved future value ... BUT the combination of a product I really love (for whatever reason) and the possibility of percieved future value is really a hot button for me, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                                You can never predict the future market. If you can, skip the books and buy stocks. For me, I like having a great and beautiful book on the shelf by an artist that I adore. Also that it is something rare, that few others have too. It's nice to think of how valuable they are, but that could all disappear in a second (market or damage). I'm also a bit of a completist, so my more precious and collectible books are by the couple authors that I have most everything I can get.
                                I'm thinking this is the route I will eventually head in this hobby, focusing on the authors I really like and trying to collect what I can get my hands on. My initial purchases have been a little all over the board but I'm realizing this is going to need some focus. And great point about damage, great point about life in general, no reason to pretend any of it is bullet proof ... if you aren't enjoying it now in some sense then you run the risk of great disappoinment investing in something when tomorrow never comes.

Did I just quote Garth Brooks? Geeze ...

Comment

Working...
                                X