Music Groups I should like better....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music Groups I should like better....

Having grown up in the 70s and being a big fan of "classic rock", I find myself still not a big fan of either the Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin. While there is a decent list of songs from each of them that I absolutely love, I don't listen to them often and they've never become a staple in my music listening.

So, are there any music groups/artists that you are surprised that you don't care for??

ACDC for me. They are supposed to be good and popular with a lot of people (I was born in 81, so grew up in the 90's), but I have never really cared for them at all even though I am a fan of rock music. There are others, but the names are escaping me.
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

Comment

Pink Floyd. I grew up listening to their music, sneaked into the theater to see The Wall, have umpteen different variations of the album, bought multiple VHS copies of the movie, have it on DVD...but the music is so depressing. I can't get into it, my fiends keep telling me, "just take a puff..."
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Boone, I can attest that you don't need to "just take a puff" to appreciate Pink Floyd. Yes, the songs can be very depressing, but that's kinda the point. Especially when you discover them as a teenager. Paradoxically, listening to Floyd when I was depressed made me feel better. Probably because I discovered even with my problems, I wasn't that screwed up.

My musical tastes are pretty diverse, and I appreciate and love most of the classic and critically loved bands/singers. I really don't get most "music" or singers from the past decade. Part of it is my theory of "American Idol" and the like destroying the music industry. Actually it goes back to the explosion of MTV when the way a band looked and acted became more important that the songs they performed. I used to work with a guy who hated my taste in singer/songwriters such as Bruce Springsteen, Patty Griffin, Todd Snider, Natalie Merchant, and Steve Earle. He said they couldn't sing, then expounded on the glories of the screamer on American Idol the night before. Yeah, my people aren't the best vocalists, but at least they could write their own songs and perform them with great, moving emotion. I would always paraphrase Stephen King's motto from the Club in The Breathing Method, "It is the song, not he who sings it."
        "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Although I own all of Guns 'N Roses' original albums (with the exception of Live Era), I don't listen to them all that much. Considering that Appetite for Destruction was released just as I entered a phase in my life when I could really appreciate music, I'm not sure why I don't listen to GNR more than I do (which is maybe once a year per album at most). Maybe because the songs bring me back to those awkward late elementary school and junior high years???
          "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by HorrorScribe View Post
            Although I own all of Guns 'N Roses' original albums (with the exception of Live Era), I don't listen to them all that much. Considering that Appetite for Destruction was released just as I entered a phase in my life when I could really appreciate music, I'm not sure why I don't listen to GNR more than I do (which is maybe once a year per album at most). Maybe because the songs bring me back to those awkward late elementary school and junior high years???
            Or maybe it's because you've realized, like all those "hair bands", the music is really terrible.
            "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
              Boone, I can attest that you don't need to "just take a puff" to appreciate Pink Floyd.
              I'm with you on this point. Floyd, in all of their forms, is my favorite band. I found them as a youth. Some refer to them as a psychedelic band, but I'm more in favor of those who classify them as space rock. The older stuff, especially, resonates very well with this title. I often write to Floyd, as well. But to each their own. If we all liked the same stuff it would be a very bland world.

As for a band I should appreciate more, but can't seem to....AC/DC. I just can't stand that high-pitched voice.
              Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Yes, the songs can be very depressing, but that's kinda the point. Especially when you discover them as a teenager. Paradoxically, listening to Floyd when I was depressed made me feel better.
                I actually understand that completely. Not the Pink Floyd part as I've never gotten into them, but listening to depressing music while in a depressed mood making me feel better. Just like if I'm in a bad mood (particularly while driving when there is a lot of traffic) and turning on the local hard rock station or a rock CD and turning the volume up.
                Spoiler!

Comment

Or maybe it's because you've realized, like all those "hair bands", the music is really terrible.
                  Yeah, have to agree. Not a fan of hair bands and 80's rock in general at all unlike a lot of my friends
                  Spoiler!

Comment

According to popular opinion I should love the Beach Boys(especially Pet Sounds) and Steely Dan. Sorry, nope!
                    http://www.facebook.com/michaelmcintyre333
                    http://twitter.com/#!/mikemcintyre3
                    http://luminescentyou.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MrRoland View Post
                      According to popular opinion I should love the Beach Boys(especially Pet Sounds) and Steely Dan. Sorry, nope!
                      I've also heard for ages about the greatness of Pet Sounds, but... I mean, The Beach Boys are fine, but I prefer Dick Dale or Jan and Dean. I like Steely Dan. But they don't knock my socks off.

And I just heard Bob Marley mentioned in a song, and I don't like his music in the slightest.

Comment

Working...
                      X