Richard Laymon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richard Laymon

I have around ten Richard Laymon books that I haven't read yet - I know it's silly, but I seem to be "saving" them. The only book I'm missing (other than a rare chapbook or two) is the one he wrote as Carla Laymon.

He has a way of taking everyday occurrences (a sound IN THE ATTIC) and twisting them just right to produce one hell of a ride. Even with Stephen King books, I enjoy coming up with an ending while reading the book (many times I like mine better ) - with Laymon, I know better, I just trust him and let him lead me and I enjoy every minute of it. The man is a fantastic storyteller.

My faves include the BEAST HOUSE series (pass on FRIDAY NIGHT IN BEAST HOUSE), MIDNIGHT'S LAIR, THE TRAVELING VAMPIRE SHOW, ISLAND, TREAD SOFTLY, FUNLAND, ONCE UPON A HALLOWEEN and IN THE DARK.

The only stories that I've been disappointed in are AMONG THE MISSING (missing the "balls to the wall" that I like soooo much) and the novella that he included in BAD NEWS - a book that he edited - but even these, I've enjoyed more than most.

Keep Smiling, Jan
    Not enough books . . . . . just too little time.

I'm also bad about "saving" books from certain authors and in the case of Richard Laymon I'd say it is justified. Some of my favorites are The Traveling Vampire Show, Savage, and the Beast House Series.
    Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. - H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

I enjoy Richard Laymon's short stories too. One of my faves is "Bad News" (which should have been included in the antho he edited)

MADMAN STAN AND OTHER STORIES from CD is a nice "greatest hits" collection. However, since it's hard to find and costs $50 or more when you find it . . . . I recommend you grab Headline's PB collections:

DREADFUL TALES - 25 shorts
      FIENDS - a novella, with 12 shorts
      OUT ARE THE LIGHTS - a novella, with 5 shorts

There are also 20 Fastback YA mini-chapbooks that are fun reads.

http://www.zianet.com/rsace/laymonfastback.html
      Not enough books . . . . . just too little time.

Comment

From the ones I've read I'd say ONE RAINY NIGHT, ISLAND and FLESH were the best.

But I've only read a tiny amount, 9 books so far. And I have another 18 sitting on my shelf ready to go but I've been holding back, as once you read all his work there will be no more.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisWood View Post
          But I've only read a tiny amount, 9 books so far. And I have another 18 sitting on my shelf ready to go but I've been holding back, as once you read all his work there will be no more.
          I feel the same way about finishing a Laymon story. There are still a few that aren't easy to come by here in the states. I was eagerly awaiting Funland which was supposed to come out just before the DP melt down. I think they are still going to publish it this fall but after hearing how they treat their writers, I'd hate to give them a dime...
          Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. - H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

I won't buy anything from DP/Leisure, have been in complete support support of the boycott on them (started in part by of my favorite authors, Brian Keene). Only way I'll buy one is if I find one I want at someplace like Half Price Books.

I have a few Laymon titles I still need to finish that were on my bookshelf (packed now since I am moving), though still a large number I still don't own. Have liked the few that I have read though
            WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
            Spoiler!

Comment

Working...
            X