What to bring with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to bring with

So I am going up to a cabin on the lake for week this Friday or Saturday (Probably Friday) and I need to decide what books to bring with me. I initially planned to bring The Passage with me, but now I am not sure if I should bring that one with or not. I am also considering bringing Corpse Blossoms with, as well as Keith Minnion's It's For You (though I have to be more careful with it since it's PB), and perhaps In Laymon's Terms and/or Shivers VI.

At the same time there are also other books I've been meaning to read for a while, like F. Paul Wilson's Sims.

One book I will bring for sure is Bentley Little's The Policy as I have already started on that one before, though barely into it so far since it's not my main read right now. Hoping to finish King Blood before I go so that I can keep that one home.

Any suggestions on what I've mentioned? Or other suggestions based on what you can see from my collection thread?

One book that I don't really want to bring with is Laymon's Bad News. I plan to read it, but that one is too valuable to bring on vacation, lol. I also don't want to bring SoD V2 because of the size.

I am sure I won't get a ton of reading done, but I do want to get some done. I think I will also try to do some writing as well, but a lot of my time will be spent having fun with my fiance and her family
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

I would take Shivers VI = great read! Plus, the good thing about short story collections is that if you only have 15-30min to read, that is enough time to enjoy one story, set the book down and get back to it another time.

I am also thinking about taking The Passage on my vacation, as I haven't read it yet. Depends on how much space I will have once I pack everything in my bag...

Comment

All i can say is that 'The Passage' is one great book!

Comment

That's what I was thinking about the short stories, which is also why I am considering Corpse Blossoms and It's For You. I'm not worried about having room, will have plenty since I'm driving my own vehicle this time, which happens to be an SUV. Could probably pack up all my books if I really wanted, lol. Also thinking about bringing Portents. I also Brian's short stories to bring with and read on my phone

When it comes to The Passage, I guess I need to decide if I want to start such a long novel
        Spoiler!

Comment

I just got back from a long weekend in a cabin by a lake. I took my paperback version of Borderlands 5. But we went for a family reunion and there was too much visiting to get much reading done.
          "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I am sure I won't get a whole lot of reading done, but will get some done. Will also be spending a lot of time with future family members doing various things like fishing, cards, sitting around fires, things like that.

Too bad I'm not a passenger this year, could get a good amount of reading done on the way up.
            Spoiler!

Comment

I have the same dilemma now as I am going on vacation the second week of August. Probably won't have that much time to read, but still more than I usually do while working. I've decided to bring one hc/limited/signed edition that will stay in the room for reading at night, and one paperback that I'll take with me for short day trips, walks, or just for chilling by the lake. My PB choice is already made (Pet Sematary), it's the HC/Limited or signed PB I need help with. My choices are:

Dreamsongs Vol. I
              The Five
              Full Dark No Stars
              Shivers I-IV
              The Passage

Comment

Well I still haven't finished King Blood, so that'll come with me unless I somehow finish it today or tomorrow morning. Gotta decide if the DJ will come with to put back on when I'm finished reading it. Will be bringing Shivers VI. Not sure yet what else and I only have a day to decide, lol
                Spoiler!

Comment

Well my vacation is about to start, so had to decide on the books finally, lol. I am bringing these books:

King Blood (need to finish the last 100+ pages) by Simon Clark
                  Alone by Brian Keene
                  A View From the Lake by Greg Gifune
                  The Policy by Bentley Little
                  The Passage by Justin Cronin

The last 2 I might not get to, and The Passage will be separated from the others. Will definitely read the first 2 though.

Hopefully I'll be able to get some good pictures while on vacation.
                  Spoiler!

Comment

I recently finished The Five. The opening 200 pages or so are very well written, but it didn't suck me in until about half-way through, at which point I couldn't put it down. Then toward the end, it just blew my mind. Essential reading (at least, for me). If you're already a McCammon fan, you won't be disappointed.
                    www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nik Houser View Post
                      I recently finished The Five. The opening 200 pages or so are very well written, but it didn't suck me in until about half-way through, at which point I couldn't put it down. Then toward the end, it just blew my mind. Essential reading (at least, for me). If you're already a McCammon fan, you won't be disappointed.
                      Actually, The Five would be my first McCammon...

Comment

Really looking forwards to The Five.

But, first I want to read McCammon's Matthew Corbett trilogy (of which I've read the first), re-read The Wolf's Hour, and maybe Dan Simmons' Flashback...

unfortunately, school will start in three weeks again.....:-(

sk

Comment

Working...
                        X