X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frik51
    replied
    Originally posted by Nik Houser View Post
    I'm a really slow reader. People typically speak at 150 words per minute, and read at 250 words per minute. I'm the reverse. I intentionally read at the speed of speech so as to better absorb every nuance of language.
    +1

I love reading this way.
    It's like tasting the words...savouring them...

sk

Leave a comment:

• Nik Houser
    replied
    I'm a really slow reader. People typically speak at 150 words per minute, and read at 250 words per minute. I'm the reverse. I intentionally read at the speed of speech so as to better absorb every nuance of language. As a writer, reading is a constant learning experience for me. Even when I'm reading something I don't like (or especially then). It teaches you what NOT to do.

Leave a comment:

• C.W. LaSart
    replied
    I usually have several books going at one time, unless I'm REALLY hooked on one. I also read the last page first-which drives everyone I know crazy-it was a habit I started while reading the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley (My favorite Brit!) as he has a terrible habit of killing off the main characters. Of course, on my Nook, it's harder to read the last page first so I don't

Leave a comment:

• the_last_gunslinger
    replied
    I require perfect serenity in order to read properly. Music and television prove too great of a distraction, so they must be silent in order for me to give a book its well deserved attention.

And though I have the ability to read at a fast pace, I choose not to. I find it rather disconcerting to sit in one place too long and knock out one hundred pages in one sitting. I have this strange penchant for analysis and as such, I find myself often reading only a chapter or two, sitting the book aside for a bit and walk around a while as my mind processes what I just read.

But above all else, perhaps the one habit I have that really wears on the nerves of those around me, is my insistence on reading--particularly classic literature written in the old genteel tradition--out loud as I walk about the room. Some pieces of literature are so well constructed that I need to hear them spoken aloud.

Leave a comment:

• hamount
    replied
    I can read with anything going. I live in a family of six, so it's never quiet. I can just tone everything out. I can read in bed, though I always stay up past 2:00 o'clock in the morning, no matter how tired I am, I just can't put the book down. I started reading Desperation by Stephen King last night and I ended up reading roughly 422 pages.

Leave a comment:

• frik51
    replied
    No music, no television, no talking - nothing.
    Just the book.
    Heaven!

When i try to read in bed, I can only manage five minutes -tops.
    The I fall asleep.

sk

Leave a comment:

• TerryE
    replied
    I usually have 2 books going at a time. One at home and one at work. My brother could never understand how I could read two different books at once. But back when I was reading comics regularly, I was following 40-50 different storylines a month, so that's no biggie. At this stage in my life, I usually need it to be pretty quiet when I read. Classical music would be okay, but no TV or music with lyrics. I get distracted too easy.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    I'm always reading. When I was single with no kids I read at least a book a day. My record was 28 books in one weekend (yeah, they were short - mostly old SF from the '50s) and best page count in a day was over 1500 when I read two Tom Clancy novels and started a third.

I read everything, which can be annoying when the only thing on the table is a cereal box...I really need a book or magazine if I'm sitting alone.

I can read with the TV on as long as I can't see it and it's not a 'news' show. I can't be in the same room as an American newsreader, it drives me nuts. I can have music on, but I won't hear a damn thing after the first few minutes, so there's no point.

I'm really happy about having the Kindle app. I can now load up on books when going on vacation without worrying about the weight or having my wife remind me that 1) She's coming on vacation too, and 2) I should really leave some room for clothes.

Leave a comment:

• Tito_Villa
    replied
    I can't read with the TV on, its bloody distracting

Leave a comment:

• thelion
    replied
    I tend to read one primary book at a time that I focus most of my energy on while having a couple of secondary books that I read as time permits. I'm always reading something though, so I don't have any long lapses of time between books...

Leave a comment:

• srboone
    replied
    Well, I was sent to my room alot when I was a kid, and I spent the time reading. I can focus for hours on a book. I can't read in bed anymore tho, I'll nod off.

Leave a comment:

• jester05jk
    started a topic Reading Habits

Reading Habits

Does anyone else have any peculiarities when it comes to reading? Like with me, I can go months without touching a book but then I'll turn around and binge for a month and read like 25 books. Plus, for me to ever really focus and give a book my attention for more than a few pages I have to have music playing. I don't know if it's an overactive mind or what but I always have to have multiple things going on.
Working...
X