Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brlesh
    replied
    A little more than half way through The Refuge Collection...Hell to Others, a charity anthology edited by Steve Dillon, which is the follow up to The Refuge Collection....Heaven to Some.

Similar to the first book, Hell to Others is a pretty good collection of stories, with a lot of references to Lovecraft & Barker.

The stories also seem to have more of an interconnected story arc than I remember from Heaven, though it's been nearly a year since I've read it.

B

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished Rio Youers' "Lola on Fire". Man, this frickin book was awesome! As compulsive a read as anything I have encountered in quite awhile. Literally had to force myself to stop reading so I wouldn't be overtired at work the next day. Loved the mix of characters, especially Lola and Blair, two of the most badass women that you could ask for. This book would make a fantastic movie. Youers completely knocked it out of the park with this one. A five star read for me.
    Good to hear. It sounds interesting. I will be reading Westlake Soul soon. I may go for this one after that.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished Rio Youers' "Lola on Fire". Man, this frickin book was awesome! As compulsive a read as anything I have encountered in quite awhile. Literally had to force myself to stop reading so I wouldn't be overtired at work the next day. Loved the mix of characters, especially Lola and Blair, two of the most badass women that you could ask for. This book would make a fantastic movie. Youers completely knocked it out of the park with this one. A five star read for me.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick
    replied
    Because I’ve heard so many people talk about this book for so long, I’m finally reading IMAJICA, by Clive Barker. I’m on Chapter 34 of about a million chapters. But it’s ok, I’m digging the book.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished "Your Turn to Suffer" by Tim Waggoner. This was my first read by this author and will definitely not be my last. I really enjoyed this book. Story felt like a splatter punk (early) Dean R. Koontz novel mixed with some Clive Barker with a dash of Lovecraft. Loved how the author wasn't afraid to kill his darlings in this one. Also some of the strangest, creepiest, goriest visuals that I have encountered in awhile. Highly recommend this books to the horror lovers out there!

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    Just started You Love Me by Caroline Kepnes. Nice to visit with Joe Goldberg again. So far I like it.
    Last night I finished Finders Keepers. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished Caitlin R. Kiernan's second Dancy Flammarion collection "Comes A Pale Rider". Just as strong as the first collection in my opinion. Kiernan's writing is as fantastic as usual. Loved the ties to previous Dancy stories. Am really glad that I picked-up this book from SubPress. Hope Kiernan decides to collect a third volume of Dancy Flammarion stories sometime soon as she is a really cool character.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

Did you pick up the deal from CD for those? I did - but haven't gotten to them yet. I've only read one (maybe two) things from them.
    Unfortunately, I had already purchased my copies directly from SubPress. When I saw the CD deal, I was a bit jealous of those who hadn't already purchased the books as that was a smoking deal to me. Have started the 2nd collection, Comes A Pale Rider, and, so far so good.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Parviz View Post
    Almost done with starship troopers. I figured I'd check it off my tube list with the suntup numbered edition. A nice reading experience.
    I am hoping to the beach for a few days soon. A thinking about taking the Suntup Artist edition of this one with me.

Leave a comment:

• Parviz
    replied
    Almost done with starship troopers. I figured I'd check it off my tube list with the suntup numbered edition. A nice reading experience.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished House of Skin by Jonathan Janz last night.

Overall I liked it. I thought it was a well paced, very dark story, about revisiting a family curse.

I just wish Janz had fleshed out the supernatural aspects of the story a little more than he did.

After House of Skin, started the Valancourt Book of Horror Stories, Vol. 4.

Three stories in so far. Two I liked (the opening story was an original story from Elizabeth Engstrom); one was a translation of a 1940's story from a Belgium writer that I found to be a little plodding.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

This was my first book from SGJ (got a signed copy at a local bookstore since he lives here) and I enjoyed it, but it was a little hard to read at times. Something about the language or something. There were some definitely holy shit moments though!
    I had a similar issue when I read All the Good Indians (it was also my first read by SG Jones). I found myself having to go back & re-read lines multiple times to try & follow the story. It got better in the second half (maybe I just used to Jones' writing style).

B

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished Caitlin R. Kiernan's "Alabaster". Enjoyed the heck out of it. Have never had a chance to read Threshold; so, this was my first run in with her awesome character, Dancy Flammarion, the albino monster killer. Love interconnected short story collections like this. Also loved the way Kiernan went about world building in this collection. Am glad I picked-up the second collection of Dancy Flammarion stories, Comes a Pale Rider, and will probably read that next.
    Did you pick up the deal from CD for those? I did - but haven't gotten to them yet. I've only read one (maybe two) things from them.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by khaos View Post
    Just started The Only Good Indians. Haven't read enough to know what the book is about. I don't think I even read the synopsis, just heard it was good.
    This was my first book from SGJ (got a signed copy at a local bookstore since he lives here) and I enjoyed it, but it was a little hard to read at times. Something about the language or something. There were some definitely holy shit moments though!

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished Caitlin R. Kiernan's "Alabaster". Enjoyed the heck out of it. Have never had a chance to read Threshold; so, this was my first run in with her awesome character, Dancy Flammarion, the albino monster killer. Love interconnected short story collections like this. Also loved the way Kiernan went about world building in this collection. Am glad I picked-up the second collection of Dancy Flammarion stories, Comes a Pale Rider, and will probably read that next.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X