Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin
    replied
    Reading The Speed Queen by Stewart O'Nan and wondering why I have not read this one before.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Got about half way through A Season in Carcosa ed. by Joseph Pulver. There were a couple of decent stories, but for the most part the tales were unmemorable.

Doubtful I ever finish this one.

On a better note, I'm about half way through The Silence by Tim Lebbon and thoroughly enjoying it.

B.

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    Finished The Auctioneer and loved it. I’ve been on a pretty good roll with books lately. Starting The Notch by Tom Holland now. Hopefully this continues the streak of really good reads.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Dang, that’s impressive. I begin to stumble and reading slows down for me when I try to read a series straight through. To be honest, I struggle with series fiction in general. I usually get through one or two books then never finish the rest. A couple of years later I’ll decide to finish the series but will want to re-read the first couple of books so everything is fresh in my mind...and then the circle starts anew.

I’m trying a new approach where I read at least one book per month of a series I’m trying to get through. We’ll see how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

That's a massive re-read. Did you do it all the way straight through or break it up a bit? I've been thinking about diving into the Repairman Jack/Adversary Cycle books, but it will probably be a while before I actually get around to it. I read LEGACIES a long time ago and at the time I thought it was "okay". I think I was expecting a more flat-out horror novel--I mean, it was in Borders's Horror section--and that isn't quite what it was from what I remember. I had the same feelings about THE KEEP. I think that with adjusted expectations, I would enjoy them more.
    Read them straight through. With the recent release of a new Repairman Jack novel, "The Last Christmas", I figured it would be a good time to revisit that world. Don't know that I would classify any of the Repairman Jack novels as straight-up horror; although, each, to a certain extent, has horrific elements. One of the best things about the series is the way F. Paul Wilson moves between genre troupes in each novels. Some are thrillers, some are sci-fi/fantasy, and some are more horrific.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Finally finished my Repairman Jack/Adversary Cycle re-read. I think it ended up being around 22 books. Truly one of my favorite series of all-time. I really like what F. Paul Wilson did with his secret history of the world and how almost all of his writings connect to it in one way or another. In a way, it reminded me very much of SK's Dark Tower series and how they connect to his oeuvre. Believe I will be starting Joe Lansdale's "More Better Deals" next. Am a huge Lansdale fan and it has been getting great reviews; so, my expectations are high.
    That's a massive re-read. Did you do it all the way straight through or break it up a bit? I've been thinking about diving into the Repairman Jack/Adversary Cycle books, but it will probably be a while before I actually get around to it. I read LEGACIES a long time ago and at the time I thought it was "okay". I think I was expecting a more flat-out horror novel--I mean, it was in Borders's Horror section--and that isn't quite what it was from what I remember. I had the same feelings about THE KEEP. I think that with adjusted expectations, I would enjoy them more.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Currently reading "The Hostage's Daughter" by Sulome Anderson. This one is an amazing and enlightening read!

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Finally finished my Repairman Jack/Adversary Cycle re-read. I think it ended up being around 22 books. Truly one of my favorite series of all-time. I really like what F. Paul Wilson did with his secret history of the world and how almost all of his writings connect to it in one way or another. In a way, it reminded me very much of SK's Dark Tower series and how they connect to his oeuvre. Believe I will be starting Joe Lansdale's "More Better Deals" next. Am a huge Lansdale fan and it has been getting great reviews; so, my expectations are high.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post

Devolution is the best book I've read so far this year.

B
    Wow. I picked it up kinda on a lark as I was trying to find a third book. It sounded interesting so I was like, why not? Good to hear the high praise.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I picked up Devolution on B2G1 book sale at Target. Haven’t started yet but looking forward to it. My July reading sucked so I’m hoping to pick up momentum again in August.
    Devolution is the best book I've read so far this year.

B

Leave a comment:

• kresby
    replied
    A Little Amber Book of Wicked Shots by Robert R. McCammon from Borderlands.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post
    Finished the Valancourt Book of Horror Stories Vol. 3 last night. It was OK, A couple of good stories, a bunch of 'meh' stories. Didn't like it as much as the first two volumes.

Started Devolution by Max Brooks this morning. Knocked out 50 pages and liking it a lot so far.

B.
    I picked up Devolution on B2G1 book sale at Target. Haven’t started yet but looking forward to it. My July reading sucked so I’m hoping to pick up momentum again in August.

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    Just finished Baby Teeth by Zoji Stage. A brilliant first novel. I also finished Touch The Night. Another good book.
    Now I'm reading The Auctioneer by Joan Samson.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

Loved the first two. Wasn't he mentored by James Crumley and James Lee Burke?
    I haven’t heard that before, so not sure. I’ve been looking for a signed 1st of GREEN SUN for two years, since it came out in 2018, and finally snagged one. I loved the first two as well, and would go so far as to say that NIGHT DOGS is the best police novel I’ve ever read.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    Starting GREEN SUN by Kent Anderson, the third in the Hanson trilogy (SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL and NIGHT DOGS).
    Loved the first two. Wasn't he mentored by James Crumley and James Lee Burke?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X