X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goathunter
    replied
    Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    I just started Robert McCammon's SEVEN SHADES OF EVIL, and while I'm thrilled to be reading another Matthew Corbett book the typeface in the trade hardcover is SO....SMALL...as to be almost unreadable. If this is what Lividian is planning for the last book in the series, I'll probably wait for the e-book.
    FWIW, the ebook editions of Leviathan will be released at the same time as the trade hardcover in early December 2024.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post
    Halfway through Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck.

First time reading this classic in nearly 30 years.

B
    Too funny. I read that a few months back as well, also for the first time in many decades.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Halfway through Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck.

First time reading this classic in nearly 30 years.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished up The Pallbearers Club by Paul Tremblay

It’s the fifth novel I’ve read by Tremblay, and by far ranks as the worst of the five.

A glacially paced storyline without a payoff at the end, uninteresting characters, and written in an experimental style that quickly grew tiresome.

Here’s hoping Horror Movie is a return to form for Tremblay.

B

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Camelot just put the Lansdale up on their site, so I grabbed it...I've had my eye on it for a while, but I held off since I hate pre-ordering. Hopefully it'll be worth the cost and the shipping....

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Yeah, the price for these actually held me back from purchasing them. Love each author but for such short books, it didn't seem worth it, especially considering that it's highly likely that each author will include them in a future collection of their stories.
    Very true -- and, to be honest, had that thought occured to me I probably would have skipped them as well...at least the Lansdale, as you know that one's going to be in a future collection since all his stories find their collective way sooner or later.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    Just finished the two recent horror novellas from Sub Press: Michael Marshall Smith's TIME OUT and Joe Lansdale's THE AFFAIR OF THE CRAWLING RAZOR. Both were good, though all in all I'd probably give the nod to the MMS as the more interesting and less predictable of the two. Have to say, though, both seemed awfully overpriced at $45 each for novellas barely over 100 pages and with no interior illustrations, but I guess that's increasingly par for the course these days.
    Yeah, the price for these actually held me back from purchasing them. Love each author but for such short books, it didn't seem worth it, especially considering that it's highly likely that each author will include them in a future collection of their stories.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Just finished the two recent horror novellas from Sub Press: Michael Marshall Smith's TIME OUT and Joe Lansdale's THE AFFAIR OF THE CRAWLING RAZOR. Both were good, though all in all I'd probably give the nod to the MMS as the more interesting and less predictable of the two. Have to say, though, both seemed awfully overpriced at $45 each for novellas barely over 100 pages and with no interior illustrations, but I guess that's increasingly par for the course these days.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Edward Lee's "The Television". I've always been a big fan of Lee's work, but this one was slightly underwhelming to me. There were lots of good gore scenes; however, the story itself never really went anywhere and the ending was a big letdown, even if it left room for a sequel. Overall, I'm glad to have read this story but have read much better books from Lee prior to this and would most likely recommend one of them rather than this book.

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE of John Wayne Comunale's "Death, Scum, & TV Fun". Have never read anything by this author, but this book sounds crazy; so, I've got my fingers crossed that it's good.

Leave a comment:

• Boggle Champion
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I wasn't aware of this edition, but just tracked down the info on it. I'm inclined to wait for the SST edition -- assuming they're doing one -- but may weaken when Sunday's BB ordering period opens...we'll see. Only reason I'd go for the BB edition is that I'm betting SST is not doing a limited edition...but I'm thinking that's probably a losing gamble since they've done all the others.
    Yeah, I just hope that the UK special edition rights weren't transferred or anything.

If I hadn't pre-ordered the Barnes & Noble edition, I would have bought the Broken Binding one. I actually prefer the US trade edition cover though, and the extras in the b&n edition are a nice bonus.

Broken Binding said they'll be publishing more horror books in the future, so I'm definitely looking forward to what else they have in store.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Boggle Champion View Post

Anyone planning on picking up Broken Binding's edition of Horror Movie? It looks tempting, but I'd much prefer an SST edition. I hope the BB edition doesn't interfere with SST's Tremblay line.
    I wasn't aware of this edition, but just tracked down the info on it. I'm inclined to wait for the SST edition -- assuming they're doing one -- but may weaken when Sunday's BB ordering period opens...we'll see. Only reason I'd go for the BB edition is that I'm betting SST is not doing a limited edition...but I'm thinking that's probably a losing gamble since they've done all the others.

Leave a comment:

• Boggle Champion
    replied
    Finished You Like it Darker by Stephen King. I've always loved King's short stories, and this was another great collection. I preferred the shorter stories to the included novellas, which I'd put in the middle of the pack for King's novellas. The 'sequel' story was definitely not what I was expecting.

Currently listening to Harlan Coben's Fade Away, the 3rd in the Bolitar series. So far my least favorite, but I do enjoy Coben's style.

Yesterday I received Paul Tremblay's Horror Movie (b&n edition) in the mail. The red sprayed edges look excellent...I've been really looking forward to reading this one, but I've had Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted on my pile for a while now, and I think I'll be reading that one first. It'll be my first read by Palahniuk.

Anyone planning on picking up Broken Binding's edition of Horror Movie? It looks tempting, but I'd much prefer an SST edition. I hope the BB edition doesn't interfere with SST's Tremblay line.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Bryan Smith's "Kill the Hunter". Generally speaking, I enjoy Smiths stories, but I was a bit disappointed in this book. The story itself was pretty fun; however, it also feels a bit half-baked. Lots of things left unexplained or glossed over quickly, and just when the story really starts to take off, it abruptly ends. This one really should have been a novel as opposed to a novella as it needed more story. Overall, while there were things to like, this was an average read at best.

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE of Edward Lee's "The Television".

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished up Subject 11 by Jeffrey Thomas.

Too weird, too slow, to little payoff at the end.

Starting The Pallbearers Club by Paul Tremblay.

I know this one hasn’t got much praise on the forum, but want to read it before Horror Movie comes out.

B

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuggers View Post

Dead Sea is incredible, that was my introduction to Curran and I've yet to be disappointed....but yeah with the success WHP has had with his back catalog I'm just assuming we're going to eventually get everything he's published in deluxe editions
    I'm sure that these will look great on a shelf. How's the quality of their lettereds? Similar to when they were doing the slipcase lettereds at Dark Regions back in the day?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X