No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't care for Insomnia at all, and rate it near the bottom of his novels with Rose Madder and The Tommyknockers. Tommyknockers had some good moments, but... eh. I loved From a Buick 8 and really, really enjoyed Desperation. I'm only about 100 pages into 11/22/63 and so far so good, but not in love with it yet.
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Rose Madder is the only King novel that I can saw I did not like. Others including Tommyknockers and Desperation were not great in my opinion but I still liked them. Under the Dome is near the bottom of my list as well.
      Originally posted by TerryE View Post
      I didn't care for Insomnia at all, and rate it near the bottom of his novels with Rose Madder and The Tommyknockers. Tommyknockers had some good moments, but... eh. I loved From a Buick 8 and really, really enjoyed Desperation. I'm only about 100 pages into 11/22/63 and so far so good, but not in love with it yet.

Comment

I'm about half way through a reread of King's Under the Dome and have started with Stoker's Dracula. I am reading Dracula on my Kindle for PC--it was one of the free books when I downloaded the app from Amazon. I'd been wanting to read it again (I read it for the first time decades ago!) and just noticed it was in the Kindle/PC.

John

Comment

UTD, Rose Madder and Duma Key are the last of the King novels I have yet to read--all I should get to the is year.
          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

The order I would suggest is Duma Key, Under the Dome, and Rose Madder.
            "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

why is that?
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Order of how well I liked them. Better ones first.

Comment

Oh, I was thinking a timeline or tsomething.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Nope, just preference. Oh, and by the time you get around to reading them, Wind Through the Keyhole will be out and I'd automatically put that before Rose Madder, and maybe even wait until after Dr. Sleep, too.

Comment

Well, I've got a few before I'd start any of them anyway. I put 11/22/63 aside for some books (mostly arcs from 4.0), so I don't thinki I'd have trouble doing that. I could probably put Dr. Sleep on the back burner when it is published. Danny Torrance is one of my favorite King characters (and The Shining my favorite King book), but I never really had a desire to know what happened to him after he graduated high school. I assume that he led a normal, unaffected life. I had petit mal epilepsy as a kid, but I never took any medication for it. I outgrew it by the time I was 18--I want to think Danny did the same thing with his shine. Maybe he used it to plant an idea in a pretty girl's head at a frat party, or used the old jedi mind trick on a liquor store clerk to sell him alcohol when he was underage. But I like him the way he is. But I'll read the book and make up my own mind. Big negs going into that book tho...
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                        Tommyknockers I think is the only one I never tried to read. And it's still sitting on the shelves at my grandma's house where I took it many years ago after receiving it from the SK Library. No good, eh? But I think people are forgetting about Gerald's Game. That was probably his worst book, as least to me.

And I still have the limited of Insomnia (the first King limited I ever got) and it's number 9! I put it on ebay and I guy kept emailing me saying he can't believe how he's going to get a single digit of this book and how rare singles are, etc, etc. I pulled it LOL. I couldn't bring myself to sell it. And I see Betts which is a store that offers King's stuff for a very reasonable price, has copies in the hundreds going for almost $500.

Forgot: haven't read the DT books either.....too damn long, each book! Now up to 8 large books? It would take me at least 6 months to read just one. It must be something about horror/dark fantasy novels I can't really get into since I have no problem reading the "classics". Billy Budd is another fave of mine...

I don't know if you guys saw this but take a look at this....remarques for a very cheap price: http://www.etsy.com/shop/MarkEdwardG...f=pr_shop_more

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          Rose Madder is the only King novel that I can saw I did not like. Others including Tommyknockers and Desperation were not great in my opinion but I still liked them. Under the Dome is near the bottom of my list as well.
                          Under the Dome? I saw or heard that it was supposed to be one of his best books in years. LOL it's amazing how people's opinions can differ so greatly. I think maybe on Amazon that it has a 4.5 rating or near there...

Comment

I've heard very good and bad views on Under The Dome. I personally have liked every SK book I've read, including Gerald's Game and Under the Dome, though I have yet to read a few of them, including From a Buick 8 (Started but never finished) and Insomnia
                            WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                            Spoiler!

Comment

I really like Gerald's Game. I remember when it came out, the NOW was pissed off because the book was praised for reaching and exposing the inner core of the "modern" woman who fights to maintain her own identity in a male-dominated society--AND IT WAS WRITTEN A MAN--STEPHEN KING, TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE!!! LMAO over that one. Reread it last year, and it still holds up well.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I too really enjoyed Gerald's Game. I think Gerald's Game and Delores Claiborne need to be read together, they stand alone but tie to each other so well. If I remember correctly they were originally planned as a two story book but were published a few months apart.

Comment

Working...
                                X