What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

While I didn't buy this anthology, I had to read Norman Patridge's story when I surprisingly but delightedly saw his name in the ToC, so took it off the shelf and read it right there at the bookstore. Felt a little guilty I didn't purchase it after that, but <shrug>. While the story itself wasn't a stunner, it was solid and it was great to actually see new work from the much-missed Partridge.
    Aside from  handful of stories, I hated that anthology, and found it an endless slog to get through. The Partridge story was one of the better ones.
    http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

Aside from handful of stories, I hated that anthology, and found it an endless slog to get through. The Partridge story was one of the better ones.
      Now I don’t feel as guilty for reading-not-buying it.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Finished up Black Wings VII: Tales of Lovecraftian Horror edited by ST Joshi.

A couple of good stories and a lot of filler.

Started Limelight, a collection of sci-fi / speculative fiction stories by Lyndsey Croal.

About 2/3 of the way through and really enjoying this collection.

Croal has a very straightforward & readable style, reminds me of Bradbury, though Croal’s stories are a little more visceral.

That being said, I’m taking a break from the Croal collection and started Into the Wild Green Yonder, a novella by Peter Crowther & Tim Lebbon.

An expectant couple move into a dilapidated house with a large garden that is more than it appears to be.

Thirty pages in & enjoying this one a lot.

Has a definite folk horror feel to it and can’t wait to see where Crowther & Lebbon go with it.

B

Comment

Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Ross Jeffery's "I Died Too, But They Haven't Buried Me Yet". While I usually enjoy Jeffrey's writing, if I'm being honest, this one was a miss for me. It's the definition of a grief-horror book and was very well written; however, I'm not sure that it's a story that I would ever want to revisit. There's just not much fun in this book and the main character is extremely caustic and hard to root for in any way which made the overall story a slog to get through. This book also had a twist ending of sorts that I just wasn't buying. Overall, while not a bad book by any means, I think this story just wasn't meant for me.

Am now reading the hardback LE of Aron Beauregard's "Wet Market and Other Stories".

Comment

About halfway through Screams From the Dark stories, and I agree with others that these stories have been a slog to get through. I'm mainly listening to these on audio, and each story is roughly an hour long and meander a lot. Maybe three stories so far have been memorable and something I'd recommend, but the rest haven't worked too well. There's still some great authors left on the TOC (Lansdale/Ballingrud/SGJ/Langan), so I'm holding out hope for the rest.

Currently reading Incidents Around the House by Josh Malerman, really enjoying this one. It's my first Malerman book and it's creepy as hell! I like the unique writing style through the perspective of a young child.

I'm also reading through some stories in Joe Lansdale's collection By Bizarre Hands. I've read a good chunk of these in other collections already, so I'm kinda skipping around. Some of his best work is in here.

Comment

Originally posted by Boggle Champion View Post
              About halfway through Screams From the Dark stories, and I agree with others that these stories have been a slog to get through. I'm mainly listening to these on audio, and each story is roughly an hour long and meander a lot. Maybe three stories so far have been memorable and something I'd recommend, but the rest haven't worked too well. There's still some great authors left on the TOC (Lansdale/Ballingrud/SGJ/Langan), so I'm holding out hope for the rest.

Currently reading Incidents Around the House by Josh Malerman, really enjoying this one. It's my first Malerman book and it's creepy as hell! I like the unique writing style through the perspective of a young child.

I'm also reading through some stories in Joe Lansdale's collection By Bizarre Hands. I've read a good chunk of these in other collections already, so I'm kinda skipping around. Some of his best work is in here.
              I'm really looking forward to reading that Malerman book at some point.  I've been hoping that SST or someone else would announce an LE version so I could avoid purchasing  duplicate copies but I may break down and buy a trade copy soon.

Comment

Just finished reading the hardback LE of Aron Beauregard's "Wet Market and Other Stories". This was my first read by Beauregard and will not be my last. This book was five or six short stories along with an essay, and each story had one illustration to accompany it. Like most collections, the stories were a mixed bag, but all of them were solid and a few were fantastic. My favorites we're "A Muffin in the Oven"- a mean little take on the UFO visitation/pregnancy troupe, "Carla's Conundrum"- a story about a women's obsession with hand-puppets and her slip into madness, & the title story "The Wet Market"-which might have the single most disgusting/messed-up scene that I have ever read in it, and I've read pretty much everything by Edward Lee & other extreme horror masters. Overall, I'm glad to have finally read something by Beauregard and would recommend this to anyone who enjoys extreme horror or is a fan of authors such as Edward Lee or Wrath James White.

Am now reading the LE pocketbook of Aron Beauregard's "A Life of Crime".
                Last edited by sholloman81; 10-03-2024, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Finished up Into the Wild Green Yonder by Crowther and Lebbon.

Not what I was expecting, unfortunately.

Next up, back to Limelight, the collection by Lyndsey Croal.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                    Finished up Into the Wild Green Yonder by Crowther and Lebbon.

Not what I was expecting, unfortunately.

B
                    I just read the positive CD review on it this morning. It sounds interesting, if all a bit familiar.

One Lebbon work that I keep meaning to read is THE LAST DAY AND THE FIRST...that one sounds original, poignant, and thoughtful. Why I haven't pulled the trigger on a copy yet escapes me...but I will.
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Working...
                    X