What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Either of those books would make me very happy!
    Same — both are stunningly good, though I’d probably give the nod to THE SPEED QUEEN, especially for a deluxe edition from a small press, just seems more suitable with its more overt crime/noir construct.

Martin , well said. Funny, I almost gave OCEAN STATE a permanent pass because its advertised examination of the lives of four women, which made it sound like a feminist pop-fiction novel…nothing wrong with that, just not typically my thing. I could not been more wrong and should have known better, trusted more in O’Nan’s skill to present a story that’s relevant to anyone. The echoes of this book, finished two days ago, and those four women’s lives still linger in my mind. Just a stunning work.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Same — both are stunningly good, though I’d probably give the nod to THE SPEED QUEEN, especially for a deluxe edition from a small press, just seems more suitable with its more overt crime/noir construct.

Martin , well said. Funny, I almost gave OCEAN STATE a permanent pass because its advertised examination of the lives of four women, which made it sound like a feminist pop-fiction novel…nothing wrong with that, just not typically my thing. I could not been more wrong and should have known better, trusted more in O’Nan’s skill to present a story that’s relevant to anyone. The echoes of this book, finished two days ago, and those four women’s lives still linger in my mind. Just a stunning work.
      O'Nan is one author that I do not read about the book I just buy it and give it a read. Does not always pay off. I did not care for CITY OF SECRETS but it usually pays off.

Comment

I've been passing on Ocean State for exactly the reason you mention. After reading your review, I think I'm going to tap out and order it this weekend. May also order All the Colors of the Dark by Chris Whitaker as that review on the CD Free Reads page sounds fantastic!

Comment

Martin , CITY OF SECRETS is the one of his I haven’t read (now that I have OCEAN STATE behind me).  sholloman81 , hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Comment

Martin , CITY OF SECRETS is the one of his I haven’t read (now that I have OCEAN STATE behind me).  sholloman81 , hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
            CITY OF SECRETS was a rare O'Nan story in which I couldn't connect with the characters, I simply did not care about anyone in the story. If you haven't yet read his non-fiction book THE CIRCUS FIRE I highly recommend it. Well woven story about a little-known American tragedy. 

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

CITY OF SECRETS was a rare O'Nan story in which I couldn't connect with the characters, I simply did not care about anyone in the story. If you haven't yet read his non-fiction book THE CIRCUS FIRE I highly recommend it. Well woven story about a little-known American tragedy. 
              THE CIRCUS FIRE was actually my first book by him… after that, I went back and read his backlist and have stayed with him ever since.. Agreed, a fascinating story well told.

Comment

Currently about half way through American Gods by Neil Gaiman. 

So far, it’s an interesting enough story, though at times I do wish Gaiman would pick up the pace.

Reminds me of early Clive Barker.

B

Comment

I'm flipping back and forth between two different versions of Kim Newman's ANNO DRACULA- An e-book, and the newer signed anniversary hardcover, which has chapter annotations. I'm six chapters in, and Newman is introducing characters and concepts so hot and heavy that I'm taking my time reading, trying to absorb it all.

Also reading SURELY YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS: THE TRUE STORY OF AIRPLANE, which has way too much information about pre-Airplane stuff. I'm 40% in, and they JUST got to the writing of the screenplay. And I'm rereading Rick Yancey's THE MONSTRUMOLOGIST, in anticipation of reading the rest of the series for the first time.
                  http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
                    I'm flipping back and forth between two different versions of Kim Newman's ANNO DRACULA- An e-book, and the newer signed anniversary hardcover, which has chapter annotations. I'm six chapters in, and Newman is introducing characters and concepts so hot and heavy that I'm taking my time reading, trying to absorb it all.

Also reading SURELY YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS: THE TRUE STORY OF AIRPLANE, which has way too much information about pre-Airplane stuff. I'm 40% in, and they JUST got to the writing of the screenplay. And I'm rereading Rick Yancey's THE MONSTRUMOLOGIST, in anticipation of reading the rest of the series for the first time.
                    I read Anno Dracula last year and really enjoyed it.

Newman’s literary and cinematic knowledge of the horror genre is beyond impressive.

B

Comment

Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE Neon Recluse of John Wayne Comunale's "Electric City's Neon Infection". Had previously read one book by this author and did enjoy it but wasn't really sure what to expect going into this one. I liked this one way better than the previous book. The author was able to keep his brand of weirdness; however, you can really tell that he's matured as a writer as the pacing and voice in this book seemed surer than his previous efforts. In terms of the story, it was loads of fun! Kind of a mystery/bizzarro/horror mash-up. Really enjoyed the Villans in this book, probably more so than the main character. The "Goblins" were very fun! Overall, I'm glad to have read another book by this author and to have added this one to my Thunderstorm collection.

Am now reading the reading the Thunderstorm LE of Adam Cesare's "Exponential". Am a big fan of Cesare and this book sounds super fun; so, my hopes are high!

Comment

Currently reading Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow for a book club. I probably wouldn't have picked it up if not for the club, but so far I'm pretty into it.
                        Listening to Back Spin (Bolitar #4) by Harlan Coben. Another fun mystery book in the series, just what I like in an audiobook.

Last book I finished was The Secrets of Insects by Richard Kadrey, published by Subterranean Press. I love short story collections/anthologies, and this was a great one. There are a few stories from the Sandman Slim series in the collection, and I've not read the books yet so I was pretty lost on those. Readers of Sandman Slim might want to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                          Currently about half way through American Gods by Neil Gaiman. 

So far, it’s an interesting enough story, though at times I do wish Gaiman would pick up the pace.

B
                          Still plugging away at American Gods.

Have 60 pages to go, so hoping to finish it tonight.

The story has picked up in the last third, so here’s hoping Gaiman can nail the conclusion.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                            Currently about half way through American Gods by Neil Gaiman.Â

B
                            I SO wanted to love this book, but I can't. I've tried a few times to read it (maybe it was an age thing - I wasn't old enough or mature enough or wise enough) but it just never clicked. I'll spare you with how many different editions I own too - maybe if I just buy more of them, it'll get better?

Comment

Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Adam Cesare's "Exponential". This one was lots of fun. Nothing groundbreaking, just a throwback creature feature reminiscent of the Blob mixed with a bit of Tremors and with a fun cast of characters. I usually enjoy Cesare's writing style, and this was no exception. Glad to have read this and added it to my Thunderstorm collection.

Am now reading the Thunderstorm Neon Recluse LE of Somer Canon's "Picking You Out of My Teeth".

Comment

Reading a Folio Society collection of Daphne du Maurier's complete (?) short fiction. Very early into it with only halfway in the first story -- the titular "Don't Look Now" -- and finding it a bit distant in its characterizations and awfully redundant in its plot exposition, but am enjoying the quiet, mannered style and her skill at atmosphere so will continue on. My assumption is that as with any collection it's going to be a mixed bag, so not going to judge it on the very first tale.

Comment

Working...
                                X