What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Thanks for the heads-up...I haven't read that one. I've read THE WALK, CROWN VIC, and the Ian Ludlow trilogy, but that's it. Just read the synopsis on your rec and it sounds very intriguing. Have about 75 pages left to go of CALICO and am just loving it, of what I've read of his it's his best yet.
    It reminds me of THE ROCKFORD FILES

I have CALICO on hold at the library. Thanks for the heads up. 

Comment

Reading CALICO by Lee Goldberg...ostensibly a mystery/crime novel, but the element of time-travel makes it worthy of mention here. It's one of the more entertaining, charming books I've read in some time...really enjoying it.
      I grabbed this from the library today based on your quick description. Looking forward to starting it tonight.

Comment

Just finished reading Christopher Beuhlman's "Between Two Fires". This was my first read of 2024, and if it ends up being my best read, I would not be surprised. This book was a complete gamechanger for me, and I could not have loved it more. Everything about it was so freaking good! And boy did that ending wreck me. After reading this book, as well as The Blacktongue Theif, I might just be a Beuhlman fanboy.

Am now reading the Suntup AGE of Mario Puzo's "The Godfather", a first time read for me. Have always wanted to get around to this book and figured now would be a great time as I was looking for something non-fantastical after the last read.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

I grabbed this from the library today based on your quick description. Looking forward to starting it tonight.
          Wonderful -- hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
            Just finished reading Christopher Beuhlman's "Between Two Fires". This was my first read of 2024, and if it ends up being my best read, I would not be surprised. This book was a complete gamechanger for me, and I could not have loved it more. Everything about it was so freaking good! And boy did that ending wreck me. After reading this book, as well as The Blacktongue Theif, I might just be a Beuhlman fanboy.
            I keep hearing praise for Beuhlman and, in particular, this book.  Maybe I need to pull the trigger on it.  Like another person posted on the forum (maybe RonClinton? sorry if I'm wrong on that), I was rather turned off by the decision of the author to alter one of his books for Midworld Press.  I'm still hesitant to buy from Midworld for a couple reasons, but maybe I'll pull the trigger on a paperback.

Comment

Originally posted by fanatic View Post

It reminds me of THE ROCKFORD FILES

Never has one sentence sold me so quickly on a book...and I wasn't even a part of this conversation!  

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I keep hearing praise for Beuhlman and, in particular, this book.  Maybe I need to pull the trigger on it.  Like another person posted on the forum (maybe RonClinton? sorry if I'm wrong on that), I was rather turned off by the decision of the author to alter one of his books for Midworld Press.  I'm still hesitant to buy from Midworld for a couple reasons, but maybe I'll pull the trigger on a paperback.
                I would highly recommend at least reading Between Two Fires as it's a special book IMO. I too was annoyed by the author's decision to edit his text on Those Across the River for Midworld and have chosen not to purchase that title from Midworld because of it; however, that didn't lessen my enjoyment for any of his other Midworld books whatsoever. Also, I can confirm that Midworld's Beuhlman books do not have any of the prior issues that some of Midworld's earlier titles encountered. 

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I keep hearing praise for Beuhlman and, in particular, this book. Maybe I need to pull the trigger on it. Like another person posted on the forum (maybe RonClinton? sorry if I'm wrong on that), I was rather turned off by the decision of the author to alter one of his books for Midworld Press. I'm still hesitant to buy from Midworld for a couple reasons, but maybe I'll pull the trigger on a paperback.
                  You're likely remembering correctly...I wasn't wild about the author's decision to edit his previous work in the manner he did so as to 1). minimize the risk of triggering those who sensibilities are too fragile to read things in historical context, and 2). undermine the historical accuracy and attitudes of the era that he once chose to depict appropriately and honestly. That said, I did end up picking up the novel in its original trade-paperback, and generally enjoyed it -- so it is worth reading. I don't know if there was other sanitization of the text other than the deletion of the offensive term. I'll also say I hardly noticed (and certainly wasn't offended by) the very occasional use of the trigger word that either he and/or his publisher were worried about. The people who fret about editorial issues of that type are typically the ones worrying about the attitudinal minority that they themselves inhabit...the majority of us are able to reasonably put things into their proper context and place without the need of abridgement and trigger warnings. I know Beuhlman took responsibility for the editorial changes, but given the swift and rather pugnacious newsletter the publisher later sent out when simply queried by someone (not me, though Iwas passably wondering the same thing when I saw it) puzzled about the cover of THE GIRL WITH ALL THE GIFTS since the character didn't match the text and, like me, the emailer apparently didn't even know there *was* a movie made of it, I do kind of wonder if other elements were in play, but who knows. I will just say that it was disappointing to see the guy (or gal) who emailed get raked over the coals in such public (but anonymous, IIRC) fashion, and his/her query labeled as something it clearly wasn't with a kneejerk quickness.

I will say THOSE ACROSS THE RIVER is worth reading in whatever edition one chooses to enjoy...I liked it better than THE SUICIDE MOTOR CLUB, which has an awesome cover on the HC 1st (though the newest tpb reprint has a distinct fantasy bent to it, apparently now marketing it to his fantasy fans), but just didn't quite have the sustained narrative to match it. I haven't read anything else by him...now that he seems to have largely gone the way of fantasy fiction, I probably won't, unfortunately, but it's great to see a deserving author achieve a new level of success.

motor.jpg

Comment

You're likely remembering correctly...I wasn't wild about the author's decision to edit his previous work in the manner he did so as to 1). minimize the risk of triggering those who sensibilities are too fragile to read things in historical context, and 2). undermine the historical accuracy and attitudes of the era that he once chose to depict appropriately and honestly. That said, I did end up picking up the novel in its original trade-paperback, and generally enjoyed it -- so it is worth reading. I don't know if there was other sanitization of the text other than the deletion of the offensive term. I'll also say I hardly noticed (and certainly wasn't offended by) the very occasional use of the trigger word that either he and/or his publisher were worried about. The people who fret about editorial issues of that type are typically the ones worrying about the attitudinal minority that they themselves inhabit...the majority of us are able to reasonably put things into their proper context and place without the need of abridgement and trigger warnings. I know Beuhlman took responsibility for the editorial changes, but given the swift and rather pugnacious newsletter the publisher later sent out when simply queried by someone (not me, though Iwas passably wondering the same thing when I saw it) puzzled about the cover of THE GIRL WITH ALL THE GIFTS since the character didn't match the text and, like me, the emailer apparently didn't even know there *was* a movie made of it, I do kind of wonder if other elements were in play, but who knows. I will just say that it was disappointing to see the guy (or gal) who emailed get raked over the coals in such public (but anonymous, IIRC) fashion, and his/her query labeled as something it clearly wasn't with a kneejerk quickness.

I will say THOSE ACROSS THE RIVER is worth reading in whatever edition one chooses to enjoy...I liked it better than THE SUICIDE MOTOR CLUB, which has an awesome cover on the HC 1st (though the newest tpb reprint has a distinct fantasy bent to it, apparently now marketing it to his fantasy fans), but just didn't quite have the sustained narrative to match it. I haven't read anything else by him...now that he seems to have largely gone the way of fantasy fiction, I probably won't, unfortunately, but it's great to see a deserving author achieve a new level of success.

motor.jpg
                    I really enjoyed Suicide Motor Club. It was a fun ride and I'm pretty sure Midworld is going to put this out. I'm on board when they do. I read the Rovers by Richard Lange shortly before or after SMC, but that is another good road trip Vampire novel. I hope somebody does a special edition of it.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

I really enjoyed Suicide Motor Club. It was a fun ride and I'm pretty sure Midworld is going to put this out. I'm on board when they do. I read the Rovers by Richard Lange shortly before or after SMC, but that is another good road trip Vampire novel. I hope somebody does a special edition of it.
                      ROVERS was quite good. If you don't want to wait until a potential signed/limited (which I agree it does deserve, especially compared against some others that have received that treatment), VJ Books has a signed 1st HC of it on sale (Bad Santa Sale) for $8.00...I've been toying with picking it up myself as the copy I read I borrowed from the library so don't have any edition on my shelf.

https://www.vjbooks.com/shop-s/2168....+lange&Submit=

Comment

Reading - still have 50 pages to go in Dune. It’s taking me much longer than I expected.

Finished Vandal: Stories of Damage, an anthology of 3 novella length stories all by Australian authors - Kaaron Warren, Aaron Dries, & J. S. Breukelaar.

The stories by Warren & Breukelaar were good, but the standout by far was the story by Dries. This is the first thing I can remember reading by Dries, and he is an author I will definitely be keeping an eye out for.

Also read the first story in Mira Grant’s novella collection, Apocalypse Scenarios: These Are the Ways the World Ends. She stated in her intro that ‘Final Girls’ was her attempt at writing an 80’s horror movie. It was an entertaining enough story, though (most likely) not very memorable.

Also about 100 pages into Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. It’s an entertaining enough read, though as I’ve found with most of the classic SF novels I’ve read over the years, the story is a little underwhelming (see Dune above).

B.

Comment

Just finished reading the Suntup AGE of Mario Puzo's "The Godfather", a first time read for me. I enjoyed this one much more than I was expecting. While the book and movie are essentially the same, I loved getting a little more backstory and plot for some of the characters who came off as more minor or were portrayed slightly different in the film. For example, I was surprised by how much more I liked the character of Kay in the book than the film. She didn't seem as cold and you could better see why she made the decision to be with Michael. If I had one complaint it would that the ending seemed a bit rushed, which is kind of funny since the book is almost 600 pages. Not sure if the sequel to the book is any good, but the strenght of this one does make me consider tracking it down, as I would love to read more about the Corleone family.

Am now reading the Centipede LE of Michael McDowell's "Cold Moon Over Babylon", a first time read for me. Have only ever read McDowell's "Blackwater", but I loved it and am super excited to now be reading Cold Moon Over Babylon. Fingers crossed that it's as good!

Comment

ROVERS was quite good. If you don't want to wait until a potential signed/limited (which I agree it does deserve, especially compared against some others that have received that treatment), VJ Books has a signed 1st HC of it on sale (Bad Santa Sale) for $8.00...I've been toying with picking it up myself as the copy I read I borrowed from the library so don't have any edition on my shelf.

https://www.vjbooks.com/shop-s/2168....+lange&Submit=
                            Thanks Ron!

Comment

Wonderful -- hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
                              Finished this up the other day and loved the hell out of it! Had a blast reading it.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

Finished this up the other day and loved the hell out of it! Had a blast reading it.
                                Fantastic — glad you dug CALICO as much as I did!

Comment

Working...
                                X