No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished reading the SST LE of Josh Malerman's "Daphne". Really enjoyed this one and haven't quite read a story like it before. Really fun characters and a neat villain. Would love to see this one done as a movie! I do wish that there were fewer journal entries by the main character as they did become a bit repetitive and bogged the story down a bit, but I totally understand why the author used them as they were needed to convey the main character's anxiety. Other than that, the story was top-notch for me. As always, SST did a fine job with the production and art, and you really can't beat their priced for LEs.

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE of Kristopher Triana's "Slasher vs. The Remake".  Am super excited for this one.  Any book dedicated to Wes Craven better be scary!  

Comment

Sounds like an interesting read. I have that one on my TBR pile.

I'm re-reading Earth Abides George Stewart. I had forgotten that this one overuses internal dialogue which also tends to bog the narrative down.

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
      Just finished reading the SST LE of Josh Malerman's "Daphne". Really enjoyed this one and haven't quite read a story like it before. Really fun characters and a neat villain. Would love to see this one done as a movie! I do wish that there were fewer journal entries by the main character as they did become a bit repetitive and bogged the story down a bit, but I totally understand why the author used them as they were needed to convey the main character's anxiety. Other than that, the story was top-notch for me. As always, SST did a fine job with the production and art, and you really can't beat their priced for LEs.

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE of Kristopher Triana's "Slasher vs. The Remake". Am super excited for this one. Any book dedicated to Wes Craven better be scary! Â
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Finished up The House on the Brink by John Gordon.

This was a short novel that I never got invested in.

At times it was hard to follow (due to the English lexicon, I found myself having to go back and re-read lines or entire passages that didn’t make sense to my American brain), which didn’t allow for any flow to the story.

Up next, Christmas and Other Horrors edited by Ellen Datlow.

I’ve struggled with the last couple of Datlow anthologies I’ve read, so we’ll see how this one goes.

B

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
          Sounds like an interesting read. I have that one on my TBR pile.

I'm re-reading Earth Abides George Stewart. I had forgotten that this one overuses internal dialogue which also tends to bog the narrative down.

Earth Abides is one of those classic novels I’ve always thought I should read, but never get around to picking up a copy.

B

Comment

Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Kristopher Triana's "Slasher vs. The Remake". This one was a complete blast! An 80's slasher movie in book form.  Would make a very cool movie.

Am now reading another book from the Thunderstorm versus line, the Thunderstorm LE of Michelle Garza's & Melissa Larson's "Scum Janitors vs. The Living Dead".

Comment

Hi all, my first post on the forums!

This week I finished reading Five Decembers by James Kestrel. Amazing WWII-era crime epic.

Also finished Wolf Hunt 2 on audiobook. Wolf Hunt was the first Strand novel for me. Loved his short stories I've read and loving this series. The audio narrator is spectacular too. I have Wolf Hunt 3 from Weird House so I'm gonna switch to physical for that one.

Just started reading Hark! The Herald Angels Scream. Only 1 story in so far but I have high hopes for the anthology. Going to try and read through Candy Cain Kills over the weekend as well.

Comment

Finished up Christmas and Other Horrors edited by Ellen Datlow, and it was probably the best anthology I’ve read this year.

Up next was the short novel The Scarlet Boy by Arthur Calder-Marshall.

Made it to the 2/3 mark were I DNF’d this glacially paced story. The characters were uninteresting and way too much time was spent on daily minutiae and not enough on what little supernatural aspects were presented in the story.

B

Comment

Started Dune this morning.

75 pages and thoroughly enjoying it.

Up to this point it reads more like a high fantasy story than science fiction.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                    Started Dune this morning.

75 pages and thoroughly enjoying it.

Up to this point it reads more like a high fantasy story than science fiction.

B
                    I've tried reading it twice and stalled both times around page 50. I'm going to try again early in the year for the third and last time...hoping this time it clicks for me. If it doesn't, I guess that saves me $$$ since I'll have to jump off the Centipede DUNE train.
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Over the weekend I read Candy Cain Kills by Brian McCauley and The Crossings by Jack Ketchum.

Loved The Crossings. Third Ketchum novella I read in 2023, and definitely my favorite. Tight and brutal. Really reminded me of Bone Tomahawk, another movie I loved.

Candy Cain Kills was a great holiday slasher, quick read. I expect to see this in theatres within a few years.

Started reading Chasing the Boogeyman (SST). Only 50 pages in, but I'm enjoying the biographical setup by Chizmar. The SST edition is spectacular, too. (Wonder if CD will do a limited edition?)

Reading through more stories from Hark! The Herald Angels Scream. Some have been good, but so far a pretty so-so collection.

Comment

Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Michelle Garza's & Melissa Larson's "Scum Janitors vs. The Living Dead". This was a first time read for me in terms of both the book and the authors. Enjoyed the heck out of it. It is exactly as the title would lead you to believe and a complete blast. Tons of fun scenes, some scary and some grossouts. Hope to read more collabs by these authors in the future. I also really hope that Paul continues the VS line as I've enjoyed every book in the line so far!

Am now reading Christopher Beuhlman's "Between Two Fires". Have had this book in the TBR pile for a while and decided to start the year with it. Have only read the Black Tongue Thief previously, and I loved it; so, I've decided to work through some of the author's backlog and see if I strike gold again.

Comment

[QUOTE=sholloman81;n197380]Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Michelle Garza's & Melissa Larson's "Scum Janitors vs. The Living Dead". This was a first time read for me in terms of both the book and the authors. Enjoyed the heck out of it. It is exactly as the title would lead you to believe and a complete blast. Tons of fun scenes, some scary and some grossouts. Hope to read more collabs by these authors in the future. I also really hope that Paul continues the VS line as I've enjoyed every book in the line so far!

Am now reading Christopher Beuhlman's "Between Two Fires". Have had this book in the TBR pile for a while and decided to start the year with it. Have only read the Black Tongue Thief previously, and I loved it; so, I've decided to work through some of the author's backlog and see if I strike gold again.[/QUOT

I’ve read 3 Buehlman novels up to this point, and Between Two Fires is my favorite.

I thought it was great.  

Kind of what you’d get if McCammon had set Swan Song in the Middle Ages.

B

Comment

Reading CALICO by Lee Goldberg...ostensibly a mystery/crime novel, but the element of time-travel makes it worthy of mention here. It's one of the more entertaining, charming books I've read in some time...really enjoying it.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                              Reading CALICO by Lee Goldberg...ostensibly a mystery/crime novel, but the element of time-travel makes it worthy of mention here. It's one of the more entertaining, charming books I've read in some time...really enjoying it.
                              Have you ever read THE MAN WITH THE IRON ON BADGE aka WATCH ME DIE by Goldberg? Great book.

Comment

Originally posted by fanatic View Post

Have you ever read THE MAN WITH THE IRON ON BADGE aka WATCH ME DIE by Goldberg? Great book.
                                Thanks for the heads-up...I haven't read that one. I've read THE WALK, CROWN VIC, and the Ian Ludlow trilogy, but that's it. Just read the synopsis on your rec and it sounds very intriguing. Have about 75 pages left to go of CALICO and am just loving it, of what I've read of his it's his best yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X