Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished the SST version of Stephen Graham Jones' "My Heart Is A Chainsaw". Really enjoyed the heck out of this one. As a lifelong horror fan, it was neat seeing all of the slasher/horror references that Jones sneaks into the story. Also thought that the characterization was top-notch. The main character, Jade, really grew on me and felt very real. The first third of this book does feel a little slow; however, once the other two-thirds kick-in, it's pure adrenaline from that point util the end. Jones also makes sure to pay-off all of the red-herrings and info dumps in that first third of the book; so, none of the pages feel wasted. Jones also sneaks lots more humor into this story than I was expecting. Overall, I'm super glad to be able to add this one to my bookcase and give it a solid A grade. I also give SST's production values on this one a solid A grade as well. Cover-Art is fantastic, and those just might be my favorite end-papers of all-time!!!

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Starting The Black Maybe; Liminal Tales by Attila Veres.

Collection of stories by a Hungarian author published by Valancourt Books.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post
    Sixty pages into Blooding Night by Tim Curran and liking it so far. To this point, it’s been more restrained than I was expecting.

B
    Just finished up Blooding Night by Tim Curran.

Overall, not bad.

One complaint, for a relatively short novel, it is somewhat repetitive (something I’ve noticed in previous books by Curran).

But if you’re looking for some mindless blood & guts for a few nights entertainment, you could certainly do worse than Blooding Night.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Sixty pages into Blooding Night by Tim Curran and liking it so far. To this point, it’s been more restrained than I was expecting.

B

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished the SST version of Joe Lansdale's "Moon Lake". Another very solid book by Joe Lansdale. Lots of great characters who I wouldn't be surprised to see creep into some of his other stories. Also enjoyed all of the artwork that SST used for this story. Looks great and really fit into the tone of the book. While I do love me some maps, I thought the inclusion of the map in the back of this book was a bit funny since it had so few locations on it. Overall, I really enjoyed this story and feel that SST's production values were up to their usual fantastic standards! Solid B-minus read for me.
    I coulda sworn I ordered MOON LAKE from somebody--either SST directly or Camelot--but it isn't on my shelf and I can't find an order for it so I guess not. I probably need to rectify that.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished the SST version of Joe Lansdale's "Moon Lake". Another very solid book by Joe Lansdale. Lots of great characters who I wouldn't be surprised to see creep into some of his other stories. Also enjoyed all of the artwork that SST used for this story. Looks great and really fit into the tone of the book. While I do love me some maps, I thought the inclusion of the map in the back of this book was a bit funny since it had so few locations on it. Overall, I really enjoyed this story and feel that SST's production values were up to their usual fantastic standards! Solid B-minus read for me.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Portents edited by Al Sarrantonio. Described as an homage to the Shadow series of quiet horror anthologies edited by Charles Grant. I think I only have one more story to go. Not a bad anthology, though some of the stories are definitely too quiet for my tastes. Favorites so far by Brian Keene & Jeffrey Ford.

B

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Decided to switch things up a bit and read A Handbook of American Prayer by Lucius Shepherd. Only about a quarter of the way through it but enjoying the writing style so far even if it's written a bit flowery in places. This is my first read of this author. This is a fiction book, and I'm not sure what to expect from it, but so far we've had accidental/non premeditated murder, character growth, a little sex, love, and a few hints of something mysterious to come.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished Kristopher Rufty's "The Skin Show". Have recently started to collect Thunderstorm titles and was able to pick this one up at a decent price on the aftermarket. Have never read anything by this author before and wasn't sure what to expect. Felt a little bit like Richard Laymon mixed with some Ed Lee. Lots of extreme violence & sex. Also had some cool creatures in it. While the story did have some flaws, I found it to be an enjoyable read overall, especially if you're into Extreme Horror/Splatter. I would probably rate this one a solid C+. Hopefully, I can read something else by this author soon. Did notice that he has bunch of other Thunderstorm Black Voltage titles. Hopefully, I can track them down at a decent price...

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished reading the SubPress LE of "Day Zero" by C. Robert Cargill. Have been looking forward to this one for quite a while as I really enjoyed Cargill's previous book, "Sea of Rust". Am happy to report that as much as I loved Sea of Rust, Day Zero was even better. I could not put this one down! The characterization and setting were top-notch. I really felt bonded to all of the characters. Cargill writes children especially well. This was one of the few books that I can recall that really nails how a child would think and feel in the situations the book explores. Also really enjoyed the philosophical questions posed by some of the choices/actions the characters were forced to make. This book absolutely had me in my feelings pretty much the whole way through which is rare for me. Overall, I can't recommend this book enough and am very happy to have added the LE to my collection. Hope Cargill decides to visit this world again in the future
    I haven't read these - I own them. Maybe they'll be next? That reminds me - my SubPress edition from Camelot came in - I need to pay that.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    After slogging through the second From a Certain Point of View Star Wars book - Empire - I stared reading Red Moon from Kim Stanely Robinson.

First time reading anything from KSR and I'm not sure what to think yet. Not a fast read by any means, but at least I'm not bored like I was with the above Star Wars book.
    Finished Red Moon and I have no desire to ever revisit this book (and kind of regret buying a signed 1/1 of this awhile back.) Just so boring.

Not sure if all of KSR's stuff is like this - hope not since I bought a signed edition of his new book The High Sierra since it's non-fiction and about where I used to live for awhile.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    The Gunslinger can be hard to get through. One of the hosts on an SK podcast that I usually listen to says if The Gunslinger is hard, skip it and read The Drawing of the Three. If it's still not for you, but then you tried. You can always go back and read The Gunslinger.

I tried to get my wife into The Dark Tower, and she tried. She got through the first two books but has no desire to read the rest. I for one don't understand how she couldn't enjoy tDotT but to each their own.

I really want to re-read the whole series, but it seems silly to read things I've read before when I have hundreds of books I haven't read.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

It’s weird how that works, right? How you can love something and yet it fails to connect with others? I’m clearly in the minority on this one and realize the fault likely rests on my shoulders more than King’s.
    The Gunslinger and Wizard & Glass are my favorite DT books.

In general I enjoyed the first four books, but the last three ruined the DT story for me.

They just felt rushed and very haphazardly put together.

I also enjoyed The Wind Through the Keyhole and Little Sisters of Eluria.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    About 200 pages into My Lady of Plagues by Elana Gomel and for the most part enjoying it a lot.

Tone and subject matter very similar to Angela Slatter.

B

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    One of my favorite books. Enjoyed every moment of it.

Sorry this didn't click with you. I think it's a fantastic start to my favorite journey.

It’s weird how that works, right? How you can love something and yet it fails to connect with others? I’m clearly in the minority on this one and realize the fault likely rests on my shoulders more than King’s.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X