What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    LOCK IN by John Scalzi is my current read...just a few pages in so too early to tell, but given that I've loved all but one of the dozen Scalzis I've read, I figure the odds are in my favor.
    No one better take me to Vegas as their good-luck charm...while the odds were heavily in my favor, I lost the bet. Now I have two Scalzis that didn't work for me. LOCK INwasn't as bad as the other one -- ANDROID'S DREAM, which just didn't click for me at all -- but I just was not in the mood for a whodunit mystery dressed up in futuristic robot gear. As a mystery, it worked fine, I suppose, but my days of enjoying whodunits are over, and this one certainly didn't change that. On a positive note, I can now skip HEAD OFF, the sequel to LOCK IN.

On to the next: Paul Tremblay's GROWING THINGS AND OTHER STORIES, the SST S/L HC. So far, so good.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

No one better take me to Vegas as their good-luck charm...while the odds were heavily in my favor, I lost the bet. Now I have two Scalzis that didn't work for me. LOCK INwasn't as bad as the other one -- ANDROID'S DREAM, which just didn't click for me at all -- but I just was not in the mood for a whodunit mystery dressed up in futuristic robot gear. As a mystery, it worked fine, I suppose, but my days of enjoying whodunits are over, and this one certainly didn't change that. On a positive note, I can now skip HEAD OFF, the sequel to LOCK IN.

On to the next: Paul Tremblay's GROWING THINGS AND OTHER STORIES, the SST S/L HC. So far, so good.

While not a classic I did enjoy Lock In. And yes, if you do not care for Lock In just skip Head On. It is a continuation of the story with a new mystery.
      Last edited by Martin; 10-19-2020, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

While not a classis I did enjoy Lock In. And yes, if you do not care for Lock In just skip Head On. It is a continuation of the story with a new mystery.
        Good to have that confirmed, as I would have the idea niggling in the back of my mind that maybe, just maybe, HEAD ON would be different, better. I’ll retire that thought.

Comment

Just finished Jonathan Janz's " The Siren & the Specter". This was my first read by this author and I was blown away. A fantastic story. Reminded me a lot of early Dean Koontz. On the strength of this read, I've decided my next read will be Janz's "Dust Devils". Have always had a soft spot for Horror-Westerns and am excited to give this one a go.

Comment

Just finished Jonathan Janz's "Dust Devils". I enjoyed it; however, not as much as I enjoyed "The Siren & the Specter". Would have liked the Western element to be a bit more pronounced. Overall, a solid B or B plus read.

My next read will be Adam Cesare's "Clown in the Cornfield". This will be my first read by this author. Have heard good things about this author in the past; so, I'm excited to give it a go. Plus, Clowns in the Cornfield sounds like the perfect Halloween reading title.

Comment

Just finished my annual Halloween re-reading of Roger Zelazny’s A Night in the Lonesome October. I always find new little nuance to enjoy. I have time on my hands because I’m rehabbing from knee replacement surgery, so I also went back and re-read Patrick Rothfuss’s Name of the Wind and Wise Man’s Fear. I have very little to about Name of the Wind, just a fantastic book. Wise Man’s Fear, good book, lot’s of flaws, most which could have been alleviated with the input of a more aggressive editor. Both books are full of great storylines and characters and even life lessons. Occasionally I get irritated with Rothfuss as he continues to work on his Geeorge R.R. Martin impersonation, signs media deals and writes little bits of “stuff” but I’m sure in the end, it’ll all work out.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                Just finished my annual Halloween re-reading of Roger Zelazny’s A Night in the Lonesome October. I always find new little nuance to enjoy. I have time on my hands because I’m rehabbing from knee replacement surgery, so I also went back and re-read Patrick Rothfuss’s Name of the Wind and Wise Man’s Fear. I have very little to about Name of the Wind, just a fantastic book. Wise Man’s Fear, good book, lot’s of flaws, most which could have been alleviated with the input of a more aggressive editor. Both books are full of great storylines and characters and even life lessons. Occasionally I get irritated with Rothfuss as he continues to work on his Geeorge R.R. Martin impersonation, signs media deals and writes little bits of “stuff” but I’m sure in the end, it’ll all work out.
                My fear of him going into G.R.R. Martin territory has kept me from trying these books out. I did read his novella The Slow Regard of Silent Things and must admit, although it was a bit more fantasy than for my liking, I appreciated his writing.

Comment

I hope you read them one day Martin, they are really good. As I said, he second could use some editing, but very enjoyable. I think we're entering a decade of waiting for the 3rd book, so the GRRM gene is strong with this one LOL!!

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                    Just finished Jonathan Janz's " The Siren & the Specter". This was my first read by this author and I was blown away. A fantastic story. Reminded me a lot of early Dean Koontz. On the strength of this read, I've decided my next read will be Janz's "Dust Devils". Have always had a soft spot for Horror-Westerns and am excited to give this one a go.
                    I've read Savage Species and Exorcist Road/Falls and The Dark Game. They're all really different but I love his dark mind and his pacing. He's great.

https://onplanners.com/daily-planner...ates-printable
                    Last edited by paulag; 02-04-2021, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Just finished Adam Cesare's "Clown in the Cornfield". Really enjoyed it. Wasn't sure what to expect as I had never previously read anything by this author. Also was a little worried as this book was listed as a YA read. That being said, the book was actually a lot bloodier than I would have expected. Story began a little slow, but, once you get about a quarter way in, the action really picked-up and the horror kicked-in and pushed to the forefront on the story. Very cinematic and would make a great Netflix horror movie.

For my next read, I think I'm going with the SubPress limited of Jeff VanderMeer's " Dead Astronaughts". Have high hopes for this title as I've loved everything that I've read by this author.

Comment

I finished Autumn turns to Winter by Jeff Strand on Sunday night. Highly recommend this one.A great story

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                          I finished Autumn turns to Winter by Jeff Strand on Sunday night. Highly recommend this one.A great story
                          I really need to read more from Strand!

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                            I'm trying to hold off for the Thunderstorm S/L HC, but am finding it difficult to maintain my resolve...

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I really need to read more from Strand!
                              He just released a new short story collection today. Candy Coated Madness. He is a very good short story writer as well.

Comment

Just finished reading "The Raven" by Jonathan Janz. Couldn't put his one down and can't recommend it highly enough! Very cool story with great characters. Am very glad that it left room for a sequel and hope Janz will write it soon. Already can't wait to revisit this world. Will probably read Tremblay's "Survivor Song" next as I just received my copy for SST. Am a huge Tremblay fan and am excited to see if it holds up to his previous novels that I've read.

Comment

Working...
                                X