No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am now reading the Subterranean Press Limited Edition of Robert Mccammon's "Bethany's Sin". I'm a huge Mccammon fan and am hoping it is good. Have seen varying reviews on the message boards; so, my fingers are crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
      Am now reading the Subterranean Press Limited Edition of Robert Mccammon's "Bethany's Sin". I'm a huge Mccammon fan and am hoping it is good. Have seen varying reviews on the message boards; so, my fingers are crossed.
      Best keep your expectations in check with this one...it's probably my least favorite McCammon, and I'm a hugh McCammon fan as well.

My current reading: BEST OF THE SCREAM FACTORY, Cemetery Dance S/L HC. Just started this one last night, but really looking forward to diving in waist-deep and reliving that era in the genre.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Reading The Killing Kind 2 by Bryan Smith and Quick Fixes by F. Paul Wilson. It's a collection of his Repairman Jack short stories. Really liking both.

Comment

Reading THE WINE OF ANGELS by Phil Rickman Merrily Watkins #1

I've always liked Phil Rickman, and decided to finally begin the Merrily Watkins series. Occasional cliched situations, but more due to it being written 20 years ago than anything to do with the writing. Good stuff.
          Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
          Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Just finished the Subterranean Press Limited Edition of Robert Mccammon's "Bethany's Sin". While it may not be his best book, I actually ended up liking it. The only annoying part was the author's use of verb repetition throughout the book; however, since this was one of his first books, it wasn't really a deal breaker for me. I thought the story itself more than made up for it. I can't recall ever reading about Amazonians in a horror novel prior to this. I finally snagged a copy of the Subterranean Press Limited Edition of Robert Mccammon's "The Border" and will probably give that a reread next. Speaking of books called "The Border", has anyone read the new Don Winslow yet? If so, I'd love to hear your opinion. I'm a big Winslow fan and have read all of his stuff and have the prior two books in this trilogy; however, something has held me back from picking this one up yet. Worried that it might be too preachy and didn't really care for his prior book "The Force".

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
              Speaking of books called "The Border", has anyone read the new Don Winslow yet? If so, I'd love to hear your opinion. I'm a big Winslow fan and have read all of his stuff and have the prior two books in this trilogy; however, something has held me back from picking this one up yet. Worried that it might be too preachy and didn't really care for his prior book "The Force".
              I just read The Border (Winslow's book) and loved it. He certainly trashes Trump & family, but really, what he suggests is not far-fetched. I thought the book tied up the story nicely, and it was a good read.

The only thing that jarred me out of the story momentarily was when he referred to highways the way people in LA do. He kept referring to "the 95" (I-95), "the 84" (I-84), "the 4" (Route 4), etc. He also had Route 4 going North from the GW Bridge in Jersey. Route 4 goes East/West. I could see that being ok if the character was from LA, but no way in hell is an NYPD Police Detective referring to I-95 as "the 95".

I also read The Force, and found it somewhat unbelievable. The Border was much more what I expect from Winslow.

If you've never read The Winter of Frankie Machine, go get it. That was the first Winslow book I read, and I couldn't put it down. In fact, I must read it again one of these days.

Comment

Thanks for the head's up Dave1442397! I will probably pick-up "The Border" this weekend due to your positive review. I have read "The Winter of Frankie Machine" and loved it. Really, I've loved almost all of what I have read by Winslow. About the only one I didn't care for was "The Force". Much like yourself, I found it a bit unbelievable and clichéd.

Comment

I've been reading Winslow for years, California Fire and Life is a great title. He can inject creepy into almost any situation. Oh and The Power of the Dog, fantastic.
                  Last edited by mhatchett; 03-16-2019, 05:43 PM.

Comment

I finished reading French Maid by Morton Cooper and The Naked Canvas by William Arnold (This was a Lancer 2 For 1 book). I finished reading The Divine Eccentric: Lola Montez And The Newspapers by Doris Foley.
                    Now I'm reading Nadia's Children (Book 4 and the final book of The Werewolf Saga) by Steven E Wedel. I haven't yet gone back to reading Racing the Sunrise: Reinforcing America's Pacific Outposts, 1941-1942 by Glen M Williford.

Cap
                    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

This is an interesting one, At Day's Close: Night In Times Past Roger Ekirch . It's a history and social study of nocturnal active before the widespread advent of light, especially electricity. Pretty interesting so far.

Comment

I’m finishing Jeff Vandermeer’s Southern Reach Trilogy for the third time and just keep loving it more and more. The only problem is that I can’t get anybody I know to actually pick it up and read it as well so I can talk about it with someone. Actually, that’s not the only problem. The other (and potentially bigger) problem is that I only preordered a limited edition and not a lettered.......

Comment

I have read so many reviews that book 1 is great and then it starts to fall apart from there. Maybe I will finally breakdown and give this trilogy a try.

Originally posted by jigertz View Post
                          I’m finishing Jeff Vandermeer’s Southern Reach Trilogy for the third time and just keep loving it more and more. The only problem is that I can’t get anybody I know to actually pick it up and read it as well so I can talk about it with someone. Actually, that’s not the only problem. The other (and potentially bigger) problem is that I only preordered a limited edition and not a lettered.......
                          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I just finished reading American Psyco. This book is supposed to be a modern classic? I thought it was a horrible horrible book. One of the worst books I have read. Did mine the violence aspect as I felt it was way tamer then any Edward Lee book. It just didn't click for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                              I just finished reading American Psyco. This book is supposed to be a modern classic? I thought it was a horrible horrible book. One of the worst books I have read. Did mine the violence aspect as I felt it was way tamer then any Edward Lee book. It just didn't click for me.
                              You didn’t enjoy the career retrospectives of Huey Lewis, Genesis and Whitney Houston? LOL

Comment

KISS AND KILL, Richard Deming (1960).
                                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Working...
                                X