No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you should give them a go. There is a jump in the books that is a little clunky but, if you can get past that, it's a good story.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    I have the first two books from CD grab bags but have not read them. At some point I will give them a try.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
      I think you should give them a go. There is a jump in the books that is a little clunky but, if you can get past that, it's a good story.
      I will at some point.

Comment

I am in the home stretch of "A Memory of Light" the final book of The Wheel of Time series. I just started the longest chapter of any single book I've ever read. This chapter is longer than some books I've read. It's title "The Last Battle" and in audio format is a little over 9 hours long...
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
          I am in the home stretch of "A Memory of Light" the final book of The Wheel of Time series. I just started the longest chapter of any single book I've ever read. This chapter is longer than some books I've read. It's title "The Last Battle" and in audio format is a little over 9 hours long...
          I really enjoyed the series overall when I finally did a full read a few years ago. Sanderson did a great job picking up the ball and running with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
            I really enjoyed the series overall when I finally did a full read a few years ago. Sanderson did a great job picking up the ball and running with it.
            Yea for the most part. I've noticed some things that sort of felt like the ball being dropped in the first two books he did. There was some muddy timeline stuff in those. Where Rand and Egwene's storylines were out of sync with everyone else's timelines. They where weeks ahead (I think). It felt really weird when there was interaction between the characters that were out of sync.

This may just be because of the way they had to do it making what was supposed to be a single book into 3.

Instagram

Comment

Just finished Jonathan Carroll's "The Land of Laughs". Really liked it and am looking forward to checking out more of his work as this was my first book by him. Am now beginning the CD limited version of Robert Mccammon's "The Listner". Has been on my to read pile for awhile. Hope it's as good as the hype.

Comment

I have to retry it. I have read the first big section twice (with the little girl), but there was something about the start of the next section, later in history, that didn't hold my interest enough, and both times I got distracted by another book. I'm sure I'll like it if I could plough through a bit of that second section.
                That's exactly where I bailed. I struggled through that first huge chunk, and then I gave up.
                http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
                  That's exactly where I bailed. I struggled through that first huge chunk, and then I gave up.
                  I've heard great stuff about the series and will push through one day. There just seemed like such a....what?? change of pace of the story. Not sure what exactly it was, but I couldn't stay with it.

Comment

I've heard great stuff about the series and will push through one day. There just seemed like such a....what?? change of pace of the story. Not sure what exactly it was, but I couldn't stay with it.
                    I read The Passage and The Twelve and gave up at City of Mirrors. The story just falls apart in my opinion. I really liked The Passage, flaws and all. It is jarring the way it slips through the timeline--just as you're getting invested in one set of characters, a whole new batch comes along that you have to care about. It felt taped together and maybe a little rushed. I think there should have been two books in that first volume.

The Twelve got tedious and it didn't pay off the potential of The Passage.

By the time I arrived at the City of Mirrors, I was all out of care for the story. I took a peek and bailed.

Comment

Well it's done. I have officially finished the Wheel of Time audio books. 14 of the longest books you'll ever read. Honestly even the parts that I remember being really slow or kinda boring weren't. Thinking back on it, I'm kinda shocked at how neatly everything ended getting tied up in the end. You'd think with a series of 14 books, written over 22 years, that needed to be completed by another author because the original author died before completing the series, there would've been some loose ends. Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson managed to tie everything up nicely though.

I'd say if you like fantasy at all definitely give it a read. It may take you awhile but it's worth it in the end. As with a lot of my other favorite fantasy series it left me wanting more.

Instagram

Comment

About half way through Running With the Demon by Terry Brooks. Decided to move it up on my TBR pile to make sure I wouldn't kick myself for skipping the next CD release of his. My initial thoughts were why is this book categorized as fantasy. The initial chapters would have been right at home in a Straub or King novel. As you get deeper in the fantasy elements become more apparent. So far I am enjoying it but am still leaning towards skipping the next book.

Comment

Finished Mccammon's "The Listener" and loved it. One of his best. Am really glad I picked up the limited edition from CD. Am now reading the final book in F. Paul Wilson's Ice Sequence, "The Void Protocol". Am enjoying it so far. This series reads like the Repairman Jack novels which I totally dug.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                            Finished Mccammon's "The Listener" and loved it. One of his best. Am really glad I picked up the limited edition from CD. Am now reading the final book in F. Paul Wilson's Ice Sequence, "The Void Protocol". Am enjoying it so far. This series reads like the Repairman Jack novels which I totally dug.
                            I really enjoyed The Listener!

Comment

The Listener was terrific.

Comment

Originally posted by njhorror View Post
                                Reading - DEAD LETTERS ANTHOLOGY edited by Conrad Williams

Good concept with some strong stories, so far.
                                Still reading and enjoying strong stories from authors that I haven't read before.
                                Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
                                Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
                                X