No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of Lansdale, I just finished his new collection, DRIVING TO GERONIMO’S GRAVE. It reminded me, after getting somewhat burnt out on the whole Hap and Leonard thing, what a fantastic, original writer Joe is.

And, yes, THE BOTTOMS is, I think, his masterpiece. There are several other novels of his that I perhaps like just as much, but there’s something singularly special that makes THE BOTTOMS stand out in some way that’s tough to qualify. I kept thinking of Lee’s TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD as I read it...had Joe been friends with Truman Capote back in the day instead of Lee, perhaps THE BOTTOMS would be similarly regarded as a modern classic of literature...it certainly deserves it.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      Speaking of Lansdale, I just finished his new collection, DRIVING TO GERONIMO’S GRAVE. It reminded me, after getting somewhat burnt out on the whole Hap and Leonard thing, what a fantastic, original writer Joe is.

And, yes, THE BOTTOMS is, I think, his masterpiece. There are several other novels of his that I perhaps like just as much, but there’s something singularly special that makes THE BOTTOMS stand out in some way that’s tough to qualify. I kept thinking of Lee’s TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD as I read it...had Joe been friends with Truman Capote back in the day instead of Lee, perhaps THE BOTTOMS would be similarly regarded as a modern classic of literature...it certainly deserves it.
      The only Lansdale that I didn't LOVE was Bubba and the Cosmic Bloodsuckers. It was just ok. I might have liked it more if I had read Bubba Ho Tep.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
        The only Lansdale that I didn't LOVE was Bubba and the Cosmic Bloodsuckers. It was just ok. I might have liked it more if I had read Bubba Ho Tep.
        I didn't like Bubba Ho Tep. I think I'm in the minority on that one. Next year I plan on a re-read of The Bottoms. I agree with Ron on this one. It really is his masterpiece.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
          It was 2 out of 4 for me. Snapshot and Loaded were my favorites.
          Loaded and Rain were my favorites. I'd rate the individual stories as follows:

Loaded - 5/5
          Rain - 4/5
          Snapshot - 3.5/5
          Aloft - 2.5/5

Currently reading Flight or Fright. About a third of the way through and enjoying it so far.

B

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
            I read Elevation last night. (well, listened to SK read it). I liked it a lot. Nice and short - plenty of story and not so much of the padding. Mr. King did a very good job reading it - even doing some character voices. I assume he did it because it's a short work.
            Having read the reaction earlier on the board that this was a political work, I assume that's due to the Lesbian marriage, and Kings distaste for them being shunned in Castle Rock. I'm surprised that's considered a political statement, and not just a "What's wrong with people!?" statement, but being from somewhere else, I never cease to be surprised by politics in the land of the free and the home of the brave.
            Read this yesterday and do not understand what all the fuse is about. Sleeping Beauties was much more political then this short novella about a man with an acute affliction trying to make his community a better place in the short time he has left. I enjoyed it - 4/5.

B

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
              OK, GANG,

Seems there's some confusion about the right opinion to have concerning some of King's works. Don't worry, I'm here to clear it all up for you:

-The Tommyknockers OK. Definitely not King's worst. Not his best, either. Worth re-reading.
              -The Dark Half Another OK entry in the list. Worth re-reading.
              -The Running Man I don't remember this one so well. I'll have to re-read and tell you all what to think.
              -Misery One of King's best. Top 8, for sure.
              -Dolores Claiborne OK. Gerald's Game was a far better Dark Score story, but Gerald's Game isn't being discussed here.
              -The Eyes of the Dragon Fantastic.
              -The Talisman One of King's best. In the top 5. I'm way overdue for a re-read.
              Revival Not even worth discussing. Skip over this one and if you read it, repress those memories and admit to no one that it stole time that you will never get back.
              Rose Madder UNFINISHABLE. Why? Why with this one, King?
              Having read all of King's fiction but the Outsider (mean to correct that shortly), I almost always find something I enjoy in his books. That being said, my least favorites would be:

The Regulators - in my opinion the only really awful book he's written. I hated this one.
              Didn't really care for either The Dark Half or Gerald's Game.
              Cell had a few moments, but for the most part was a lackluster read.
              Not a fan of the second half (post accident) of the Dark Tower series (Books 5, 6, & 7).

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                Having read all of King's fiction but the Outsider (mean to correct that shortly), I almost always find something I enjoy in his books. That being said, my least favorites would be:

The Regulators - in my opinion the only really awful book he's written. I hated this one.
                Not a fan of the second half (post accident) of the Dark Tower series (Books 5, 6, & 7).

B
                I would place Regulators as just above Rose Madder but I too did not enjoy reading that. I did enjoy Gerald's Game.

Comment

B
                  As far as his collections go, Four Past Midnight is easily the one I enjoyed the least.

B

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                    I would place Regulators as just above Rose Madder but I too did not enjoy reading that. I did enjoy Gerald's Game.
                    It's not that I didn't enjoy parts of Gerald's Game, but to me it ended up being a gimmick story, the kind of thing Koontz was regularly writing in the 80's.

B

Comment

It's not that I didn't enjoy parts of Gerald's Game, but to me it ended up being a gimmick story, the kind of thing Koontz was regularly writing in the 80's.

B

Comment

I loved Gerald's Game.

The Regulators would probably be the last one that I would read for a second time. I don't remember any of the characters and barely the plot. Desperation was not much better for me either.

I dug The Dark Half too.

People hate on The Tommyknockers a lot but I feel like with a little bit of editing and maybe trimming it down some it would be a really great book.

Dreamcatcher also gets a lot of hate and while I appreciate the gore, it isn't at the top of my reread list either.

Though not a novel, Blockade Billy is probably my least favorite thing he's put out. I do love the CD production of it though!

Comment

B
                          I can't really disagree with that but it did not detract from the story for me.

Comment

I can't really disagree with that but it did not detract from the story for me.
                            I can't disagree either since I've never read any Koontz ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                              When I first read Koontz I enjoyed him but after a few stories I just did not feel the need to return. Of the very limited number I have read Intensity stands out in my memory as a very good read.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                                When I first read Koontz I enjoyed him but after a few stories I just did not feel the need to return. Of the very limited number I have read Intensity stands out in my memory as a very good read.
                                Pick any of his books from '76 to '88, and you're sure to to have a great read. Anything before (his early sci-fi is hit and miss) or after LIGHTNING or maybe MIDNIGHT, and my Guarantee of Satisfaction is null and void.

Interestingly, '95's INTENSITY, that you mention, is one of the very few post-'88 books I'd recommend (and do, as I recall it being quite good).
                                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Working...
                                X