What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    It's seems that a lot of people have a hard time getting into American Gods. Personally, I really liked it. Now Anansi Boys on the other hand, that one I struggled with a little more.
    American Gods is one of my favorites. To paraphrase, " A town without a bookstore doesn't have a soul". The book was full of stuff like that. Really liked it, a bit worried about the series, we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by mphprez View Post
      Reading The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury. It's short and sweet. I could probably read the book in one night, but I'm taking my time with it. It's more fun that way.
      Bradbury, we miss you! Something Wicked this Way Comes, I read it every year like a special Halloween treat. The Halloween Tree is another Autumnal treat lol!!

Comment

re: Gaiman - has anyone read Good Omens? Your thoughts? I saw it on a couple lists of "funniest books". The only Gaiman I have read is the book version (after seeing the movie multiple times) of Coraline. I have Neverwhere on my shelf, and The Graveyard Book too, but have yet to get to them.

Comment

Reading The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury. It's short and sweet. I could probably read the book in one night, but I'm taking my time with it. It's more fun that way.
          I haven't read this one, but if I can track down a copy maybe I will read it this October. Last year I read through Something Wicked... for the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
            I love Gaiman but struggled with this one. I remember not enjoying it the first time I read it (when it came out originally,) and upon a recent reread, I still had a hard time. I was excited about the premise but the in the end it didn't work for me.
            I put it down for now at about 30%. Interesting concepts so far, but...no sure...pretty dry story so far and not interesting enough to plow ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
              It's seems that a lot of people have a hard time getting into American Gods. Personally, I really liked it. Now Anansi Boys on the other hand, that one I struggled with a little more.
              I own Anansi Boys - may have it signed from that book tour too - but I remember exactly 0.00000000% of it. I know that I forget a lot that I read, but come on, nothing recalled, at all?

So it obviously made a hell of an impression.

Comment

I LOVED LOVED LOVED Good Omens.

I'm not very familiar with a Terry Pratchett (other than knowing who he is and that I should know more,) so this is my on,y exposure to him.

I remember laughing out loud at quite a few bits and absolutely love the book's footnotes.

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                re: Gaiman - has anyone read Good Omens? Your thoughts? I saw it on a couple lists of "funniest books". The only Gaiman I have read is the book version (after seeing the movie multiple times) of Coraline. I have Neverwhere on my shelf, and The Graveyard Book too, but have yet to get to them.

Comment

I finished reading Circus Dan by George Morse. This is a juvenile/young adult book from 1933. There are a few typos. It is well written, I thoroughly enjoyed it and wish I had read it sooner. Now I'm reading Ulrik by Steven Wedel (Book 3 of the Werewolf Saga).

Cap
                  Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Finished off Joe R. Lansdale's Savage Season a few days ago. I really enjoyed it. The prose is fast paced, but the story actually develops slowly. The end though, woah! Talk about a break neck climax! I started watching the series too. So far so good. Might read Mucho Mojo later this year.

Just about done The Grapes of Wrath too, should finish today. Very fine novel. It does make you think about work, community and family. Surprisingly timeless, despite its very fixed place in time. Also a bit surprising how "communist" the book is. I know Steinbeck was a bit of a rebel, and had been bullied to some extent, like being audited every year by the IRS, but I'm surprised they didn't jail him during the 50's red scare.

Picked up Paul Cain's The Complete Slayers again and am making my way through some more of the shorts. Nice to have a short story anthology to pick up and put down as needed.
                    Last edited by Theli; 04-06-2017, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Abandoned Brian Catling's The Vorrh - just could not get into it, and after 80+ pages, I had had enough. I don't usually do this, but..... not my thing.

Just started, and really, really liking it..... The Forge Of God by Greg Bear. I need to find more like this. Sci Fi that isn't military sci-fi, or outlandish robots, etc. I do like my sci-fi as real as possible (Arthur C Clarke as an example), and even enjoy the one Alastair Reynolds that I read.

Comment

Here is a question, I figure best asked in this part of the forum:

I recently stumbled upon a brief write-up on a book by Gary Saunders (never heard of him before) titled Lincoln In The Bardo. Apparently is a story told from the perspective of the dead, and how the main character mingles among the other dead, kind of in a purgatory state, if I understand it correctly. So..... that makes me wonder if anyone knew of any other books where the story is told from the viewpoint of the dead. (other than Lovely Bones, and similar)

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                          Bradbury, we miss you! Something Wicked this Way Comes, I read it every year like a special Halloween treat. The Halloween Tree is another Autumnal treat lol!!
                          Just read Something Wicked a couple months ago. Needed more Bradbury so I got this one on loan from my library. Awesome read! I definitely recommend it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                            I haven't read this one, but if I can track down a copy maybe I will read it this October. Last year I read through Something Wicked... for the first time.

I just read it for the first time too haha. Realized what I have missed out on! It was my first dive in to Bradbury and I can't get enough!!!

Comment

I just read it for the first time too haha. Realized what I have missed out on! It was my first dive in to Bradbury and I can't get enough!!!
                              I'd read The martian Chronicles in my Grade 9 or 10 English class, loved it at the time, but hadn't read anything since. I did enjoy Something Wicked, but I do feel I would have enjoyed it more had I read for the first time around the same age I read Martian Chronicles. I love his prose in it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                                I'd read The martian Chronicles in my Grade 9 or 10 English class, loved it at the time, but hadn't read anything since. I did enjoy Something Wicked, but I do feel I would have enjoyed it more had I read for the first time around the same age I read Martian Chronicles. I love his prose in it though.
                                I agree. I think the age you read some of his work makes a difference. I attempted to read Dandelion Wine, but I couldn't get in to it. I think it's more enjoyable for the people who grew up during the book's time period, or have a greater attachment to that era.

Comment

Working...
                                X