No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm reading Cold Harbour/Sinister House a "Lovecraft Library" book. I started with Cold Harbour.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Finally getting around to the Wayward Pines trilogy by Blake Crouch. After that, I found a copy of <I>Darks Debts</I> by Karen Hall at my library. I just felt I needed to investigate this title for some reason...
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
        Finally getting around to the Wayward Pines trilogy by Blake Crouch. After that, I found a copy of <I>Darks Debts</I> by Karen Hall at my library. I just felt I needed to investigate this title for some reason...
        Dark Debts. That title rings a bell for some reason.

Comment

I just reviewed the anniversary edition of Dark Debts--loved it! Was kind of figuring CD would have one of their own post an official review in the newsletter at some point. Did you get the original or the rewrite?
          “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
          -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Just starting up the Talented Mr. Ripley. Enjoying it so far.

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
              I just reviewed the anniversary edition of Dark Debts--loved it! Was kind of figuring CD would have one of their own post an official review in the newsletter at some point. Did you get the original or the rewrite?
              I got the rewrite. Hoping it's better than The WP series.
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

What is WP?

Comment

Guessing Wayward Pines?

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                  What is WP?

Comment

Yeah, Wayward Pines. I wasn't too impressed with the first two books. I think it's Crouch's writing style I don't care for. So I think these three will be my only Crouch books.
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Reading Dark Debts by Karen Hall. Never read the original, so I won't have any comparison base.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Reading Dark Debts by Karen Hall. Never read the original, so I won't have any comparison base.
                        Me neither. I was really happy with the rewrite, though. I read a few comments on Amazon before picking up the e-book and from what I could gather it sounds like the anniversary edition is the way to go. Would love to hear from someone who's read both!
                        -John Barth

Comment

Read your review on your site. Looking forward to reading Dark Debts. To echo the sentiment, if anyone has read the original, feel free to chime in on uor reactions to it and the idea of a rewrite. Does it need one? Are you happy with the original as it is?
                          Last edited by srboone; 08-18-2016, 10:07 PM.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Found a copy of the original Dark Debts at a Halfprice Books 30 minutes away that's being held for me. Better than paying for rushed shipping online. It's my day off anyway.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Finished Dark Debts (2016). Not really impressed with the novel (2/5 stars.) It was a boring read; not from a story standpoint, but from a writing standpoint. In rewriting her book, Hall probably did a disservice to it (though it now pleases her 90-year-old mother and has prose that is more grammatically correct--by her own admission). But next I'll read the 1996 paperback copy of the original I found yesterday and see.

_________

EDIT: After reading just the first section of the 1996 original of Dark Debts, it is such a superior work that it does not feel like I'm read the same book.
                              _________
                              Last edited by srboone; 08-23-2016, 02:51 AM.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

EDIT: After reading just the first section of the 1996 original of Dark Debts, it is such a superior work that it does not feel like I'm read the same book.
                                That's really interesting, thanks for posting. I had a ball with the rewrite, but found the book paced normally up until the halfway point when it took off like a rocket. From my experience and your comments I'm wondering if the majority of the rewritten material is located in the first half.
                                -John Barth

Comment

Working...
                                X