Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    You have to find a book, that makes you want to tear through at warp speed too though. For me, those are hard to find, but when I do..... love it! The one I'm on now, is not a warp speed read for me, but I really do want to finish it.

    Comment


      Even if I do love the book, when they are"dense" books as far as number of plot lines and characters, I seem to go slower. Now, the Preston/Child books seems to fly!

      Comment


        Originally posted by TJCams View Post
        You have to find a book, that makes you want to tear through at warp speed too though. For me, those are hard to find, but when I do..... love it! The one I'm on now, is not a warp speed read for me, but I really do want to finish it.
        Yea most definitely. It felt like it took me forever to read the Hitch Hikers Guide books, the same with The Gunslinger, but once I was into The Drawing of the Three I tore through the rest of the DT books.

        On a side note I'm very happy to have crossed this never ending saga off my list. Now I only have one more unfinished series to complete and all my ongoing series will be finished.
        CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

        Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

        Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

        Comment


          Dan, have you read Erikson's Malazan books?

          Comment


            Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
            Dan, have you read Erikson's Malazan books?
            I have not. Truthfully my list of author's I read is very small. It expands ever so slowly, I try not to get caught up in to much as I have a tendency to go over board with series I like and not sleep. I'll make a note to look it up though. I have a couple of other things on the list as well.
            CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

            Non-Work related social media and what not:
            Instagram

            Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

            Comment


              Slippin' Into Darkness was disappointing. After reading Dark Harvest and Johhny Halloween, I was excited to read this one; but again, there were no characters I cared about in the book. It was well writtten and the label "bimbo sapiens" was classic (wish I'd had THAT one at my disposal in high school!), but overall, it was simply uninvolving.

              Gonna go with Carrion Comfort next. Dan Simmons and Robert McCammon are two authors I need to sample this year.
              "I'm a vegan. "

              ---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

              Comment


                Dan, I too have a very short list of authors. I find sometimes I am scared to try something new. Yet, I want to. Does that make sense???? I have about 6 Koontz paperbacks I haven't read yet, plus 4 or 5 King too. Then... I have been slowly accumulating stuff from you guys, as well as a couple e-books.

                My problem is going to be what do I pick next after my current read is done. Good problem to have really.

                Comment


                  I would love to be able to read that fast. Has anyone ever taken a speed reading class, or done anything to improve how fast they read?

                  Comment


                    No. 20-30 pages an hour is fine by me. But it depends on how deeply I'm into the book. Bently Little, I read at twice that pace; King's early novels I'd rip though. Sometimes when an author writes a scene, but doesn't get around to explaining what's going on until later, I'll go back and read the scene, looking for something I missed. Norman Patridge is like that--part of the problem I had with Slippin' Into Darkness.
                    "I'm a vegan. "

                    ---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by srboone View Post
                      Slippin' Into Darkness was disappointing. After reading Dark Harvest and Johhny Halloween, I was excited to read this one; but again, there were no characters I cared about in the book. It was well writtten and the label "bimbo sapiens" was classic (wish I'd had THAT one at my disposal in high school!), but overall, it was simply uninvolving.

                      Gonna go with Carrion Comfort next. Dan Simmons and Robert McCammon are two authors I need to sample this year.
                      If you choose the Simmons one, please let me know what you think. I have not read anything by him, but some of his stuff looks fantastic. Hyperion (sci-fi space stuff) aside, books like Song of Kali, The Terror, and a few others look so tempting, at least for me.

                      Comment


                        My friend lent me The Walking Dead Compendium One. I was going to start it tonight, but it is frickin huge. Does anyone know if its any good?
                        "now youes can't leave"
                        A Bronx Tale
                        directed by Robert De Niro.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Sabrina Morgan View Post
                          My friend lent me The Walking Dead Compendium One. I was going to start it tonight, but it is frickin huge. Does anyone know if its any good?
                          Is that the comic? If it is, I would really recommend it if you like the TV series. From what I understand the comic story is 100 times better than the TV show.
                          CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

                          Non-Work related social media and what not:
                          Instagram

                          Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                            Is that the comic? If it is, I would really recommend it if you like the TV series. From what I understand the comic story is 100 times better than the TV show.
                            I'm about 1/2 way done with book 1. At first I thought it was very similiar to the TV show, but not anymore. The comic is quite different. I just read a scene last night that floored me, because I was not expecting what happened... Especially after watching the TV show for the past couple of years.

                            Comment


                              Dan, it is the comic. The thing weighs more than a phone book. I did start it last night, and I'm hooked already. It is very awkward to hold thou.
                              "now youes can't leave"
                              A Bronx Tale
                              directed by Robert De Niro.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by rusty23 View Post
                                I would love to be able to read that fast. Has anyone ever taken a speed reading class, or done anything to improve how fast they read?
                                I have not, and don't want to. I like reading good books at a slow pace, as I get to stay in the world of that book even longer that way. There are some that I want to get through as fast as possible to just finish it though. Of course I have hard time coming back to it when I put it down for a bit, and if the book is a novel sized one I might not ever finish it. Luckily I don't across very many like that. I like finishing the books I start, but if they are too bad I won't force it if it's a long on
                                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                                Spoiler!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X