Any reading suggestions for my kid...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any reading suggestions for my kid...?

I am at my wits end with my son, who recently turned 11. He's been "Home schooling", ha ha ha, for 6 weeks now, with no end in sight. (I laugh, because his school is doing absolutely nothing as far as guided learning goes. They gave out work packets the first week of the quarantine, and after that they basically left parents to figure it out on their own. We pay a fortune in school taxes each year, MOVED HERE because the schools were so good, and now the Teachers are getting paid their full salaries to tell us to "Make sure they read and practice their math." Gee, thanks.)

Anyway, I digress...My wife and I have him working every day in various 5th grade workbooks that we bought online, but the reading is a toughie. He did not inherit my love of books. He hates to read because almost nothing engages him. After months of trying, I finally got him to read Neil Gaiman's THE GRAVEYARD BOOK, and he complained about how long it was, but...he kept reading. He was smiling while he read. He happily recapped what he had just read when asked. I finally got him! BUT...Gaiman doesn't have a ton of stuff suitable for younger readers. He just finished CORALINE, and is blowing through ODD AND THE FROST GIANTS, but now that I'm out of Gaiman books, I'm looking for suggestions for similar books that might spark his interest. I figured you fine folks might have some ideas. (I'm wondering how King's THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON might work....I read it over twenty years ago, but in my memories it seems like a young adult type of book....)

I welcome any and all suggestions, and thank you in advance for your help.
    http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

How about Roald Dahl? James and the Giant Peach,Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Witches. Since they were all made into movies, as a reward, after he finishes the books, you could all watch the movies together for movie night.

Comment

You can take a look at a couple books by Katherine Arden - Small Spaces and Dead Voices. Or possibly the Darkdeep series by Ally Condie and Brendan Reichs. Hope you’re able to find some books that interest him. I have a 7-year old grandson that I try to read with each night before bed and I’m hoping it sticks with him also. Best of luck!

Comment

Good suggestions....I'm gonna look yours up, Mike. As for Roald Dahl, that was a great suggestion, as he's read both of the Willie Wonka books, and THE FABULOUS MR. FOX. He's hemming and hawing about JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH, though. This kid.....

Comment

Another good one to try is September Lights by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. I was surprised when my 12 year old (now grown and a mommy) read this book and couldn't stop talking about it. We still talk about how cool this would be if it was turned into a movie.

Mulleins
          I'm the Caretaker of Room 217. I've always been the Caretaker of Room 217.

Comment

My daughter liked James Dashner's 13th Reality series at that age, also Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series, the Selection series by Kiera Cass, and The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon, by King.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
              I am at my wits end with my son, who recently turned 11. He's been "Home schooling", ha ha ha, for 6 weeks now, with no end in sight. (I laugh, because his school is doing absolutely nothing as far as guided learning goes. They gave out work packets the first week of the quarantine, and after that they basically left parents to figure it out on their own. We pay a fortune in school taxes each year, MOVED HERE because the schools were so good, and now the Teachers are getting paid their full salaries to tell us to "Make sure they read and practice their math." Gee, thanks.)

Anyway, I digress...My wife and I have him working every day in various 5th grade workbooks that we bought online, but the reading is a toughie. He did not inherit my love of books. He hates to read because almost nothing engages him. After months of trying, I finally got him to read Neil Gaiman's THE GRAVEYARD BOOK, and he complained about how long it was, but...he kept reading. He was smiling while he read. He happily recapped what he had just read when asked. I finally got him! BUT...Gaiman doesn't have a ton of stuff suitable for younger readers. He just finished CORALINE, and is blowing through ODD AND THE FROST GIANTS, but now that I'm out of Gaiman books, I'm looking for suggestions for similar books that might spark his interest. I figured you fine folks might have some ideas. (I'm wondering how King's THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON might work....I read it over twenty years ago, but in my memories it seems like a young adult type of book....)

I welcome any and all suggestions, and thank you in advance for your help.
              When Eyes of the Dragon was published, King mentioned that he wanted to write something that was appropriate for his daughter to read, who at the time I believe was about the same age as your son.

I'm probably the worst judge as far as what constitutes YA fiction, but as I recall, while it does have a young protagonist, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon has some pretty heavy elements to it. Not what I would call a YA book.

The Ice Dragon by George RR Martin, YA story set somewhere in the Game of Thrones timeline.

School's Out by Brian Keene, a young adult post apocalyptic story.

if he's into zombies, there's the Rot & Ruin collection by Jonathan Maberry.

if he's more into SF, Maberry also wrote Mars One.

There's the young Repairman Jack series from FP Wilson - Secret Histories, Secret Circles & Secret Vengeance.

Tunnel Through Time by Lester Del Rey was my favorite book when I was that age, though it may read as a bit dated for young kids today.

B

Comment

You might try something by Charles deLint. Two that spring to mind right away are Seven Wild Sisters and The Cats of Tanglewood Forest. ~Cap
                Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

How about the Goosebumps books? Short, sharp shocks with a dose of humor. If you want more humor, Jeff Strand has several YA books.
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

My kids all loved Holes by Louis Sachar. I did too. Not a genre book though.

Comment

He read HOLES with his class late last year, and he loved it. I should probably check for more by that author...

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                        How about the Goosebumps books? Short, sharp shocks with a dose of humor. If you want more humor, Jeff Strand has several YA books.
                        He has dabbled in Goosebumps books, but never ends up finishing them. He loves the movies, but has zero enthusiasm for the books...

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                          You might try something by Charles deLint. Two that spring to mind right away are Seven Wild Sisters and The Cats of Tanglewood Forest. ~Cap
                          I'll see if he has any interest...Thanks, Cap.

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post

School's Out by Brian Keene, a young adult post apocalyptic story.

B
                            I recommend this too. My 11 year old daughter has read this book several times. She likes to read but would rather do other things so it's difficult keeping her reading. I've started to give up on kids/ya. I gave her Firestarter just before the quarantine and now she has Salem's Lot. She's just going to be weird and screwed up like her parents, LOL.

Comment

Both good picks. Internet has way worse stuff on it then these books.

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                              When Eyes of the Dragon was published, King mentioned that he wanted to write something that was appropriate for his daughter to read, who at the time I believe was about the same age as your son.

I'm probably the worst judge as far as what constitutes YA fiction, but as I recall, while it does have a young protagonist, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon has some pretty heavy elements to it. Not what I would call a YA book.

B
                              Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Working...
                              X