Unread Classics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unread Classics

After Dan was brave enough to admit that he had never read Stephen King before in one of these threads, it reminded me of a great article in #50 of the CD mag titled "Three Genre Books I'm Embarrased To Admit I've Never Read..."

So what "classics" have alluded you so far?

One of the top answers in the mag appears to be The Exorcist so I guess I will start there.

1. The Exorcist- Had I bought the CD version I may have finally been motivated to read it, alas my used paperback remains unread.

2. Dracula- Double Embarrasment, I have started/stopped this twice, why I can't finish I don't know.

3. Haunting of Hill House- Almost bought it but I thought the price was to high given the book is rather short, keep meaning to buy a used copy.

Tied for 3. Swansong- I add this because I do own it and have never heard any praise short of it being a true classic, so why have I never read it?

I never read the Phantom of the Opera. I've had a copy of that book sitting on my shelf since 1977, and I've started it a few times, but never finished it.

I have lot of Clive Barker paperbacks, but I've only read The Great and Secret Show, the Thief of Always, and the two Abarat volumes.

Most of the single author anthologies I got from CD were the first exposure i had to them.

"I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

A lot of it is just personal taste. I'm not into the Lovecraft style of writing at all, so I've never read some of the classics.

One book a lot of people raved about was Drood, by Dan Simmons. I got a couple of hundred pages into it and gave up...couldn't take it any more. I like almost everything else I've read by Simmons, but not that one!

Comment

cdfan, You must get around to reading The Haunting of Hill House. You can find mass market copies everywhere. I have a pretty nice QPB edition with We Have Always Lived in the Castle, and another Shirley Jackson novel (which title I can't remember right now). Hill House is a genuinely haunting novel and is extemely well written. It is the best haunted house story I've ever read, topping even The Shining.

I guess the top classic that I've never read is Frankenstein, and that is actually next on my reading list.
        "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
          One book a lot of people raved about was Drood, by Dan Simmons. I got a couple of hundred pages into it and gave up...couldn't take it any more. I like almost everything else I've read by Simmons, but not that one!
          I agree. I decided to keep on reading, and I did, but barely.
          I much prefer the one that came before, The Terror, or his last novel, Black Hills.

sk

Comment

I regret never having read anything by Shirley Jackson or Matheson. I've never read a Clive Barker novel (though have read plenty of short stories). Nor have I read anything by Simmons or Ketchum. I'm sure there are many more, but this list is depressing enough for now

Comment

Originally posted by Arkadia View Post
              I'm sure there are many more, but this list is depressing enough for now
              Oh well, you're only 21; I envy you: so many great authors still to discover.

sk

Comment

I have not yet read a full length novel from Bentley Little, Tim Lebbon, or Simon Clark, though I have a few from each on my shelves. I also have the Definitive Version of Dracula that Barns and Noble released that I haven't gotten to yet.

I'd say one of those would maybe be next on my list to read but I think my next read after I finish up Death Hunt on Evroon will be one of the ARCs I got from the early reader's club. I'd say what, but I'm not sure I should actually be divulging that information, lol
                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                Spoiler!

Comment

I'm in the same boat as Dave when it comes to HP Lovecraft.

There's so many horror classics that I haven't read, but I have read Dracula, and reading it became a compulsion. I remember I was in class, reading it under my desk and the teacher called me out. He said, "What are you reading--and it better not be what I think it is." I will never forget the look on his face when I pulled out that huge book and said, "It's Dracula... by Bram Stoker."

Comment

Go read Lovecraft, guys!
                    He's awesome.

sk

Comment

I remember those days! No wife, no kid, plenty of time to read at least one book a day, and sometimes five or six over a rainy weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                        I remember those days! No wife, no kid, plenty of time to read at least one book a day, and sometimes five or six over a rainy weekend.
                        I liked those days so much I couln't bear to give them up!
                        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

There are a lot of horror writers I haven't had the privilege of reading yet. But one novel in particular that comes to mind is I am Legend by Richard Matheson. I also have not read Shirley Jackson's works yet.

And to those who have abstained from Lovecraft, he cannot be recommended highly enough. Some people tend to stray from him because of his lack of dialogue or action, but his ability to craft a compelling tale is unparalleled.
                          "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

Comment

I really want to read Frankenstein but other books keep coming up in the way, really need to read some Simmons too, read a short story of his about a class of zombies and it is one of the best i have ever read!

Comment

I tried to read Frankenstein three or four times and never could do it. I've resigned myself to never reading it.

Hunter

Comment

Working...
                              X